One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject/title.

EXAMPLE

You find a 1:6 item on eBay. You either believe it's overpriced and/or the seller is an idiot for listing it at such a price (high/low).

You send a message to the seller mocking/questioning/ridiculing him/her due to the price, etc. with no intention to bid/buy. You did it just to harass the seller for whatever reasons.

Anyone here ever done that?

If yes, did you feel good/justified about it?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The behavior you're describing qualifies more for being a "douche" as opposed to just a jerk.
Just MHO.
And no, I've never done anything of the sort.

·
12,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The behavior you're describing qualifies more for being a "douche" as opposed to just a jerk.
Just MHO.
And no, I've never done anything of the sort.
--

I could have posted/said "douche", but I chose to exercise discretion for this instance.

Some douche could have complained about being referred to as a jerk for all I know.

;) :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
A couple weeks ago I had someone offer me $10 for a complete with box, in excellent condition (except for loose ankles) Hot Toys Iron Man Mk 1. I don't know if he was being a jerk or a douche. Maybe a combination of both--a douchey jerk? It was the first version and HT has a second version, but still...$10?

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
682 Posts
A couple weeks ago I had someone offer me $10 for a complete with box, in excellent condition (except for loose ankles) Hot Toys Iron Man Mk 1. I don't know if he was being a jerk or a douche. Maybe a combination of both--a douchey jerk? It was the first version and HT has a second version, but still...$10?
I'll give you $12.

:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
No, I have not. I have encountered some jerky sellers though. I recently bought a dvd set from ebay. I think the seller was asking $30 and $5 for shipping, or “Make an offer!”.

I offered a flat $30, basically asking for free shipping. I thought that would be reasonable, but he rejected my offer almost immediately. No counter, just a flat rejection.
So why bother with the “make an offer” feature? Now, I respect that this is his prerogative, so I shrugged it off and paid his full asking price.

But then the guy didn’t ship the item for over a week. When he finally did ship it, he didn’t provide a tracking number. Thankfully it arrived, and in good condition... But the postage was marked on the package... And was half what he’d charged me!

I know it’s a trifling amount of money, but I found it insulting. He wouldn’t budge on the price, made me pay for shipping, then waited a week to ship my item, AND overcharged me for the shipping. I didn’t leave a negative review for him, and I’m not sure I will bother. I won’t leave him a positive review though!

What would you do?

·
682 Posts
Ebay's default setting for Make an Offer is "ON". Many don't notice and fail to turn it off when making a new listing. I've done it myself.

·
682 Posts
I will never use Make an Offer because it tends to invite all the jerks out to play. They have no intention of actually buying your item, they just want to lowball you and screw with you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sold a item on ebay auction..went for $7...it was a $40 item, then the guy left me a negative feedback, said it was not described well. Not only did I leave a description...It had 8 pictures.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,947 Posts
If asking not to use the Ebay Global Shipping Program is being a jerk, and use USPS, then yes I am a jerk. They set the price, and I have to respect that. As I would expect buyers to respect my sales the same way. Unfortunately some buyers don't play by the same rules.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Never did what the OP was asking about, but I've had a few people try to make offers when I never allow them. Best one was a person making a 15 dollar with free shipping offer on an item that already had a bid of 20 dollars with 5 dollars shipping. Gotta love block. :)

I did once make an offer of 8 dollars on an item that mass sold for 8 dollars. Seller had it listed for 36 bucks lol. They totally slandered me in their rejection, so when I bought some from other sellers for 8 bucks and made a review, I mentioned their standard value, pointing out, "Any idiot who thinks they are worth 36 is just price gouging. Don't buy anything from them". Indirect, but it'll do. :)

Also, any time an item is relisted, eBay takes it upon itself to activate "make an offer", which then has to be turned off. I've had them change my settings to bid only from bid or buy it now, changed shipping options, offers, and prices all on their own. They have gotten as bad as Microsoft's email programs.

·
Sarcasm is an Artform.
1,472 Posts
Currently selling an item with buy it now, someone pm’s me asking to take roughly 40% less, which would be less than what what I paid. I replied, sure if you will pay X amount for shipping, which would then equal the original price. Then I blocked him from all my auctions. Yes, I AM an eBay jerk......��.♂

·
Registered
158 Posts
I try to price my items fairly/competitively, but I still get people making ridiculously low offers. I have started to just list the absolute minimum that I'd accept and then not allow offers at all. I pretty much never use auctions though, and avoid purchasing via auctions as well, unless it's the only possible option.

I've never done what DFC is asking, though I have done the opposite, and messaged a seller who was confused about what the item in question actually was and had thus listed it incorrectly. They were thankful for the info. : )

·
Registered
804 Posts
My one experience as an EBay seller was a disaster. I had a rare GI Joe Nurse that I disposed of in an auction – I don’t think the “buy it now” was offered. Several people were bidding from the get go. One guy came in with a single high bid (still in line with the figure’s published value) and naturally everyone else stopped bidding. So Mr. Money Bag wins the bid but weeks later still had not paid for the figure. I contacted EBay who made me accept the next bid in line which was well below the figure’s going price as everyone stopped making bids. I ended up with about what a DML figure was selling for in those days.

·
Unifetish
122 Posts
I had an experience lately where the shipping for the item I wanted to buy was more than double. When I asked about that, they retorted that it was the time to wrap the package, pay for the mailing envelope, their time, and the gas to drive to the post office.

Needless to say, I did not buy the item. I have heard of Other online sellers charging double what shipping costs for these same stated reasons. It stinks! But then again, time is money in our society.

·
12,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My one experience as an EBay seller was a disaster. I had a rare GI Joe Nurse that I disposed of in an auction - I don't think the "buy it now" was offered. Several people were bidding from the get go. One guy came in with a single high bid (still in line with the figure's published value) and naturally everyone else stopped bidding. So Mr. Money Bag wins the bid but weeks later still had not paid for the figure. I contacted EBay who made me accept the next bid in line which was well below the figure's going price as everyone stopped making bids. I ended up with about what a DML figure was selling for in those days.
--

That sucks major @$$.

Sorry to read.

:(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts