One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm dead set on getting my first ACE Vietnam figure and I was wondering if the quality of the body is any good, posibiltly and sterdyness wise? And I have to say the wrist pegs look a little awfully big! Thanks in advance!
-Zack

·
1/6th NUT
59 Posts
I just got Cobra and his left arm fell off. The plastic seems soft and fragile, so be careful. The head sculpt is great!

·
Happy Hobbyist
105 Posts
I have two ACE Vietnam figures and IMO the body quality is actualy not bad. Theyre quite tall and not as floppy as some people have said. The earlier one (I have the one that they called Bullseye), have annoyingly long arms, while the newer one (Op. Cliff Dweller) has a big head although it looks great with helmet but not so much when I display it with other figures. I have changed the hands on my figures with hands from soldier story. They look better made than the hands that come with figure.

Hope this help.

Cheers

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man, would you happen to know what bodies fit the ACE headsculpt?

·
Happy Hobbyist
105 Posts
The bodies require headsculpts that have necks or neck adaptors. So you can't use soldier story heads. Nowadays, I use a soldier story body in lieu of the original body on the Cliff Dweller figure because the original one is too big for the uniform. I think you can use hottoys or hottoys clone bodies with ACE headsculpt

Cheers

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Well, they are ok, on the huge side compared to other manufacturers, having a broad shoulder syndrome... But for their line they work well

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
So I'm dead set on getting my first ACE Vietnam figure and I was wondering if the quality of the body is any good, posibiltly and sterdyness wise? And I have to say the wrist pegs look a little awfully big! Thanks in advance!
-Zack
Wrist pegs are fine, the body itself is not. I've yet to see one that didn't suffer from at least a very loose leg, arm, neck, torso joints or very frequently all of those. There is a reason most retailers try to bundle the heads with the body. Naturally this effects possibility and sturdiness. Out of 50 plus I've had, less than 3% would pass for what I would consider as a reasonably firm joint and were written off as defective. That being said I've posted a few pointers on the forum of how you can mod/tweak to address this. Ace makes fantastic gear otherwise, but the body needs to go.

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
From my experience, they are pretty good bodies, but need some work. Out of the three Ace figures I've got, all three had terribly loose joints, so bad that the figure couldn't stand on its own once kitted up.
The heads are gigantic, but are made well.
The hands and wrist attachments are fine, and fit well with other bodies, such as Dragon and older BBI (though BBI needs some modification)
Here are two Ace figures, with a Dragon in the middle.

Simply adding some fabric tape around some of the joints helped improve the stability drastically, for me.

The ACE Neck and head can fit on other existing body types, such as older BBI, and the like. As long as the neck ball on the body is suitable.
Here's the Ace neck and head on an older BBI body.

And kitted up.

I concur with what AdamC says, the gear is great, but the body either needs to be swapped or modified. There are issues with the uniform as well.
It may be wise to wait until the DAM M60 gunner release.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
I only have one ACE body and I don't like it at all. The arms are so tight on the shoulder balls that when you think you're moving the joint, you are actually twisting the barbell of the connecting post! I think I actually broke one arm. I'd check these joints very carefully before doing any poses.

CHEERS!

·
Resident 'NAM nut
2,633 Posts
I'm not a fan of the ACE body. The heads are nice, but the bodies definitely need to be swapped. The one's I've gotten suffer from very loose joints.
Once you do swap the body though the uniforms tend to fit a lot better.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
These body has been around for yrs now...and has only gotten worse. The one recent body I received needed a lot of work to get the joints tight...so much so it in the spares box.

Dam has used it for their gangster kingdom line....

·
Evil-doer
204 Posts
I have all their 'Nam releases and each has at least one overly loose joint. Mostly knee, neck and/or ankle in my case.

Soldier Story bodies are typically my favorite in terms of articulation and size, but won't work with an ACE head without some kind of neck adaptor.

Your best bet is probably a KO narrow TTM body if you have any loose ACE head-sculpts needing bodies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts