One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Miscreant & Ne'er-do-well
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never worked with either medium. I need opinions from some of you folks who have worked with both as to which would be most suitable for making armour etc. Is one better than the other? Stronger or more durable? Easier to work with? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

Magic Sculp seems to be considerably more expensive than Apoxie, but that doesn't always mean better. Any opinions? Feel free to give me as much info as possible... I like to make informed decisions and on this I gladly defer to your judgements.

·
It's over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!
6,964 Posts
I have the Magic Sculp and an Apoxie from Tamiya.
My personal experience is that Magic Sculp is nice to work with, but when hardened it is thougher to sand than the Apoxie from Tamiya.

Just my personal experience, hope this helps.

Niels.

·
Shutdown -h NOW
1,560 Posts
they are both about the same in terms of usage, drying time and texture. Magic Sculpt seems to be more dense and tends to be more forgiving when not mixed in absolute equal parts. Apoxie has a tendency to remain just-less-than-fully-cured if equal parts are not used or the climate/temperature is not just right.
I have also used Tamiya putty (2 part resin) and have had excellent results. It's more expensive but yields a rock hard finish. This too is more forgiving if parts are not exactly measured equally and drying time is much faster. However, the Tamiya is not very easy to capture fine details (sculpting) while in pre-set - you have to be patient with the stuff to get fine lines without mucking up your piece as it can stick to your tools.

Each one of these products have their pro's/con's - really depends on the application you have in mind.

-iz

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm interested to know the answer too.

I use Aves Apoxie, and milliput. Both are similar, milliput dries slightly harder as far as I can tell though threre's not a lot in it, but Avs is very slightly easier to work with. Both are suitable for making armour providing you keep the pieces thick enough.

But that's not what you asked!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
While I have never had the chance to work with " Magic Sculpt " ... been huge fan of " Apoxie sculpt " . In my opinion has to be by far the best to work with , it's easy to use has fairly long work time once mixed ( about 30 min if thinned with wet fingers ) smooths nicely . Once cured is very solid . Plus if you mix up more than you will need , the extra can be put in ziploc bag in the freezer ....will generally keep for few days .

Been using it for about 15 yrs & would not trade for anything I swear by it that much , hope this will help

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've been using magic sculp for a long time and I like it a lot. I'm still using the original tubs I got years a years ago and the resin left in the tub isn't doing so well these days (separating), but I understand the formula they use now is much more shelf stable and should last a lifetime. The problem is only with the stuff I haven't used -- there hasn't been any degradation in the stuff that's been mixed with the hardener and is now part of a sculpture or whatever.

I like it because you don't have to be too exact when measuring out the parts, it has a fairly long work time -- in cold weather it can last for hours -- and dried rock hard. Right now, I'm actually looking to get some to replace the stuff I've had forever, and the only reason I haven't gotten the new stuff is everyone online seems to charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yes, it is actually recommended. That way you can just mix up a little at a time and give yourself plenty of time to work since you are not trying to beat the clock. It also means if you do something and change your mind (some detail doesn't come off the way you'd like) you can sand or dremel or cut off the offending part and resculpt it without having to redo the whole thing.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I only worked with Apoxie so far. It is really sticky. Use saran wrap to keep it from bonding to it. It's also very blob like. It does bond nicely to vynil. You have to be patient and do detail in layers, let it harden, then add a little more.

·
Animal Psychologist
861 Posts
I only worked with Apoxie so far. It is really sticky. Use saran wrap to keep it from bonding to it. It's also very blob like. It does bond nicely to vynil. You have to be patient and do detail in layers, let it harden, then add a little more.
I've encountered this too. The trick is to be patient and let it cure for a good 30 minutes at least before trying to sculpt with it. If you let it cure for at least 30 to 45 minutes, then it won't stick to your fingers and tools and details are cleaner (at least for me it is) if you don't have to use water to prevent the Apoxy from sticking to your tools and fingers. The consistency is less blob like the more it's cured. Forty five minutes is the maximum time I let it cure before I start trying to sculpt with it.

I have no experience with milliput unfortunately, but had to chime in.

So...back to the topic.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've encountered this too. The trick is to be patient and let it cure for a good 30 minutes at least before trying to sculpt with it. If you let it cure for at least 30 to 45 minutes, then it won't stick to your fingers and tools and details are cleaner (at least for me it is) if you don't have to use water to prevent the Apoxy from sticking to your tools and fingers. The consistency is less blob like the more it's cured. Forty five minutes is the maximum time I let it cure before I start trying to sculpt with it.

I have no experience with milliput unfortunately, but had to chime in.

So...back to the topic.
Thank you,

I already wait 3 hours and I still find it too sticky and blob like. :)
Another thing I dislike, is it's hard to blend it with something. I tried using water to smooth it, it doesn't seem to do anything... The fumes from the pure alchool thing seems too hazardous to me so I won't even try...
It still does what I want if I'm patient, but I am ordering Magic Sculp. :(

Also Clay Shapers are a must if you ask me. I'm so glad I found out about those by pure chance. The tips are made of silicon or something so they don't stick. They're brush tools that come in various sizes.

·
Miscreant & Ne'er-do-well
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems the consensus is leaning toward Magic Sculp. I just ordered some. Will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have never worked with either medium. I need opinions from some of you folks who have worked with both as to which would be most suitable for making armour etc. Is one better than the other? Stronger or more durable? Easier to work with? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

Magic Sculp seems to be considerably more expensive than Apoxie, but that doesn't always mean better. Any opinions? Feel free to give me as much info as possible... I like to make informed decisions and on this I gladly defer to your judgements.
I have used Aves Apoxie and it is NOT as easily smoothed as the Magic Sculpt. You need to use a special liquid made for Aves Apoxie to smooth it, or you get “pilling” effect from the Apoxie itself. With Magic Sculpt, you can use water for smoothing, and it works just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts