One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doomsday http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0483607/

It came out last year - I had sort of forgotten about it until it popped up on Netflix.

I just watched this last night - Very weird and not in a good way, could have been much better.

It had some great character actors in it, Bob Hoskins, David O'Hara, Malcohlm Mc Dowel, and Sean Petwee (Dog Soldiers)... But they couldn't save it.

Some great sets and costumes - But that couldn't save it.

I'm not sure who choked this movies the most - the writer or director?

Long and short - Deadly virus outbreak in Glasgow Scotland. Brits re-build Haidrian's wall out of 50 foot steel plates, and effectivly lock everyone in Scotland behind a wall and leave them to die.

30 years later they discover survivors so they send in a team of high-tech soldiers in body armor and armored troop carriers.

The team first runs into a bout 2000 rejects from Barter Town... Who kick their asses.

After they escape the road warriors they run into a bunch of medieval knights living in an old castle and led by Malcholm McDowell... Who captures them and throws them into Gladiatorial Combat with their local champ.

The final chase scene involves a 2007 Bentley (that they found in storage in a cave), and half the cast of Barter Town.

The best part of the film was the Road Warrior rejects - Some laugh out loud funny scenes, and some of the better performances too.

The weirdest part. My girlfriend loved it and wants to watch it again :confused:

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
I liked it but agree on the "could have been better part" honestly i dont know what exactly i didnt like. A few things i guess, mostly: Female Lead, didnt like her at all, Jolie as Lara was ok, Kate Beckinwhatever in Underworld was ok. But....whats her name as tough Military Woman...blah no...thanks.
Aside from that, i didnt really care for the Medival Part, i mean using the Fortress itself was a good idea, but the whole armor, gladiator stuff, no.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The medieval parts was goofy - Like they burned their Road Warrior sets and costumes and had to rent whatever happened to be available.

And I agree - I did not like the female lead at all.

·
7,448 Posts
Some tough veteran would have been better, not some pretty face, somebody with character instead like Mickey Rourke, Ray Stevenson, Michael Madsen or Ron Perlman or just give Sean Pertwee the lead role.
But Jeez not Rhona Mitra, she can play a lead role in my bedroom but aside from that, NEVER play in any action movie again.

·
7,448 Posts
Im gonna watch Peaceful Warrior again now, pretty good movie different genre though.

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
I liked it for the action, but it was really over the place. If it could have decided on one genre instead of about four, it would have been better.

Definitely heavily inspired by The Road Warrior and Escape from New York. At least they chose great movies to borrow from. :lol

·
Requiescat In Pace
7,095 Posts
It's rubbish, they even copied the font from the opening titles of Escape from New York!
I hated it, and for Marshall to come off and say it's a tribute to all the crazy future action films he liked in the eighties (Bronx Warriors, etc) makes it even worse.

There's so many scenes lifted from other movies (the APC sequence in Aliens for one,Excalibur and Gladiator) but the fact that the film is almost a beat for beat remake of Escape from New York (down to the battle with the Duke's 'champion') really rankled me.

And why is that in any post apocalyptic future the bad guys will wear leather and sport mohawks while the nice people all have tidy haircuts and sensible jackets?

Bronx Warriors crushes Doomsday!

·
Plastic Yank
2,333 Posts
James Lileks summarized it rather well, I thought:

I watched "Doomsday," which is Mad Max + 28 Days later + Aliens + Robin Hood.

Scotland has been devastated by a virus, and although it took but a week to infect everyone, the British government was able to build a wall across the length of the island to seal them out. I suppose you have plans in the vault for things like that if you're one of the more narrow countries, but it's hard to imagine a government would respond on day two a strange viral infection by sending the construction crews to put up a wall and seal off the top third of the island. It's likely they had the plan in pocket well in advance, and were just looking for an opportunity to isolate the Scots. I've seen "Trainspotting"; can't blame them. Chancrous stick-limbed dole-teat wankers, the lot of them.

Kidding! I love the Scots. There's not a windy, rainy day but where I don't stand by the window and think of how Robert Burns put it: gain the war'd tae nick th' snick / and gae ye dram-wise tae Gargamac / wit' nae but thistles an' th' song o' th' mutton-leaver / aye, t'is wee but for naught. Man had a way with wairds.

Kidding! Anyway, of course, the evil conspiratorial government thinks everyone's dead up there - all Scots dead? Mission accomplished, lads - but 25 years later satellite photos detect human presence, and a team is sent in. The satellite lens must have been smeared with haggis leavings, because the place is full of people - angry feral gibbering idiots all dressed in leather with Mohawks, because that's retro and urban and scary. Why punk-wear? Why is that the default position, the go-to style for the post-civilization Fiend-Community? Imagine "The Andromeda Strain" escaping the lab and ravaging the country, and everyone in LA dressing up in spats and flapper-dresses. Same thing. The punks also listened to the Fine Young Cannibals, which was funny, because they were also, well, cannibals. The film established early on that Scotland was overrun with cows, and the punks ate people. They also drove around on motorcycles, gasoline being plentiful and fresh 30 years after the pipes were turned off.

Anyway. The good guys drive two APCs into the city; they're described as the top of the line vehicles impervious to everything including "chemical weapons" - wow, a tank that drive through gas - but they're instantly rendered unusable by a hail of rocks and Molotov cocktails, so our team is on foot. And so on. And so on. It would be fun it any of it meant anything or tried to mean anything, but it lacks internal consistency, logic, empathetic characters - although Bob 'Oskins stomping around and shouting F*CK a lot is always a boost to a flagging story. Oh, and there's knights on horses and Malcolm McDowell sporting a drinker's schnozz bit enough to give a liter of wine if you gave it a squeeze. Awful. I mention it only because of this, or rather her:

Rhona Mitra as Kate Beckinsdale. Or not - Kate was good in those silly vampire vs. werewolves movies, but she's undead so you expect her to have a certain amount of physical strength. Ms. Mitra is in great shape and has a modified Posh hairdo that's pretty hot, but I am tired, so very tired, of movies that expect me to think these wrens are fearsome warriors who can take five blows to the solar plexus from a six-foot tall musclebound lunatic and not only maintain their consciousness and the integrity of her internal organs, but can run around beating up people and suffering more physical for the next 17 hours without sleep while having her makeup magically regenerated. One image sums it all up:

The fellow on the left is about nine feet tall and covered with metal, swinging a spiked ball on a chain with one hand, and holding a shield the size of a tractor hubcap with the other. She has no weapons, and has spent the last 14 hours being beaten, chased, beaten again, and dumped into a medieval gladitorial-type situation there. Who prevails? She does, of course.

Oh, there's one more image that sums it up. During the interminable punk-rally in which one of the team is BBQd and fed to screaming losers, there's a floor show. Filthy dancing kilt-men:

This sort of tripe works when you have great performances, a witty script, a scintilla or two of realism judiciously applied, and a director who doesn't think rote photocopying = "homage."

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Damn, now I want to see it just to see how bad it is. :lol

Can't wait til it hits the Sci-Fi Channel as a saturday night flick [hell it sounds like one anyway]. I just hope its not as bad as Dragon Wars *shudders*

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn, now I want to see it just to see how bad it is. :lol

Can't wait til it hits the Sci-Fi Channel as a saturday night flick [hell it sounds like one anyway]. I just hope its not as bad as Dragon Wars *shudders*
Only thing worse the Dragon Wars would be a... Damn, I can't think of anything worse.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts