One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before you guys tear into me, let me just say I think its a fantastic figure with oodles upon oodles of detail, just like the Cannibal King Jack Sparrow I got with it.

My gripe is this: When I buy Hot Toys I buy uniform and gear and a decent 1/6 scale figure, thats where the $$$ is justified. The Predators, Terminator, Aliens stuff...no problem.

However Davey Jones is, for all intents and purposes, a 1/6 scale $40.00 McFarlane figure. He's made entirely of that same bendie rubber as McFarlane uses for capes and stuff like that.

Yes, there is an articulated 1/6 scale figure undreneath it all....but.....uh, why? The figure can't hold any other pose because the rubber coat and pants are too thick to bend, and if they do bend you can be sure in a few years they'll be splitting. And he's ENTIRELY rubber..there is no cloth vest or shirt or anything, its rubber..on rubber, on rubber, on rubber....on plastic..so far as I can tell....

I realize this guy is uber detailed and yes, because of his look from the movies thi sis the best way to get realistic results, but he's 100% plastic and rubber....his face/tentacles has the same sheen as his jacket and his claw and the walking stick he uses...its...well, its just disappointing.

So I guess I'm disappointed that while Jack has feathers and plastic and rubber and tons of cloth and plastic...like a 1/6 miniature.....Davey looks like he could have been popped out of a McFarlane spawn package.

Dunno..just venting I guess..I remain a loyal HT customer, its just this one guy isn't setting right with me...

Oh yeah, one gripe about Sparrow....dont give your figures a heavy accessory (the staff he has with all the leaves on it is made of the same rubber/plastic), and none of the hands included can grip it as the handle is too small :p

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
I thought it was pretty funny when they announced this figure. What a crock of s#$% for $140.

Go nab the 12" NECA version. It's a beautifully detailed sculpt and is size accurate to the HT Pirates line. Plus it will save you about $110.

·
Rogue Trader
1,263 Posts
Umm and how can you put all of the detail on fabric clothes on this figure? I guess this is the reason this figure is completely from rubber.

Alexei
....but, hasn't that been the basis for the whole Mcfarlane vs 1/6th argument. Mcfarlane feels that the only way to capture the detail of movement etc is in plastci sculpture, where 1/6th maintains that if the real thing is made from "material" an accurate 1/6th representation should also be in material.

It seems to me that HT has cut some serious corners with this figure, and if a company goes down this route and people buy it, we the consumer, will be setting the stage for future "challenging" subjects to be also created from plastics and rubber.

The most worrying thing, IMHO, is that HT is a market leader, and other companies do watch what HT does....so again, it would be a massive shame if HT was now setting a trend that other "smaller" companies may follow

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Yeah, I was very dissapointed when I first saw it... and I do think it could have been done with some cloth in there. I definitely think that the Nostromo guys could have and should have been done with fabric suits. Their suits are not too complex to have done in fabric. I have seen more complex stuff done in the past.

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
It would be fine if they were charging "plastic & rubber prices". But at HT's going rate...come on...

·
Good Enough Never Is
712 Posts
This is my great fear about the Alien Nostromo crew members, that'll they'll be giant awesome-looking gumbys... frankly if they can't get much articulation or degree of movement in the limbs anyway I'd rather hard plastic than rubber.
He's right. HT took the cheap rubber road for the Nostromo Dallas and Kane. If you look at high-res photos, you can see the paint cracking off the rubber space suits (and these are the photo models). It's likely that the few semi-poses they show in the press photos are the only poses they will ever get into.

Thanks for the gripe fest on Davy. I could tell he was rubber all through, but I didn't expect him to be poseless. I was on the fence about buying one, but I think I'll pass now.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I personally was not referring to custom stuff. A lot of the military figures have outfits as complex or even more so. The cloth part of the Nostromo suits isn't that complicated. It's mostly just a quilted suit. The only details are the pockets, the fishnetty webbing type stuff on the arms and legs, and the quilted shin guards. Everything else is hard armor pieces and other gear that would make sense to be sculpted. I don't really know anything about the industry so I could be completely wrong. I'm just commenting as best as I can based on what I have seen from other companies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have refrained from collecting the HT pirates, only because I am OCD and cannot stand the color of Jack's jacket. ITS NOT THAT WAY IN THE MOVIE.

Also, the heights really irritate me. If they can't be completely perfect, I don't want them at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.