One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently working on putting together about 50 to 100 DDAY US WWII infantry. Any CHEAPER ways to do this? At first I thought about going right to Ebay as I was lazy and didn't kitbash, etc. Tried to avoid it all up until I see how expensive it all is... example is this.
1/6 DRAGON US 4TH INF DIV D DAY UTAH BEACH GARAND INVASION GEAR BBI DID WW2 | eBay

I originally wanted to recreate my own, or buy one but can't seem to find any online, Higgins LCPV. One in which can fit 20-35 soldiers to make a diorama with.

However, unable to locate any.

As for the kitbashing. Please help me out as I am new to this. I am merely just a collector, but would love to get into the feel of things by kitbashing and customizing.

Thanks to all who take the time to help out.

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
Ouf, yeah I'd stay away from SpringSprung. No offense to the guy but all his figures are pretty darn expensive.

There are lots of great sites to buy from, I highly recommend MonkeyDepot, Elite Brigade, and Black Ops Toys.
A project like this will take a lot of time.
Keep an eye out on Ebay for lots, maybe even set up an alert so that when something in the category you're looking for gets posted, you get a notification.

Also putting a Want ad up here can be good, seeking D-Day specific GI gear, may have some helpful members looking to offload some items.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the help. Right now I have a few Saving Private Ryan characters all custom made but were expensive and I sort of regretted buying it as it ate the wallet. They look awesome. Worn, detailed. How i like it. As for the 20-30 others I needed, I dont see why i should go for highly detailed on all. I CAN inevitably weather them myself in the end. But, such a hastle. Remember this is coming from the guy who man i need groceries, buys KFC for 15 minutes of satisfaction, looks up, realizes it didnt solve the need for groceries. In other words. I do love detail. And to miss out kn slowly going through items needed then to buy cheap already put together figiures would give me ocd having detailed figures surrounded by dull bland looking figures that look like it came out of a 60s toy store. For all things detailed I even have me a 1/6 tiger tank on the way. Cost me nearly $750. BUT well worth it in my eyes. I love all things WWII.

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
1. Win lottery.
2. Good to go.

Okay, sorry I couldn't resist that! :D

Justice Fighters are one of the cheapest places for gear, figures, etc. Link: Keith Justice | Justice Fighters Action Figures
I saw just now they have DML boxed figures for the original $34 - $40 price! That's an amazing deal these days.

As for the Higgins boat diorama, something like that will take a massive amount of space and you'll probably have to kit bash the LVT. The only thing ever made to my knowledge is the rotomolded and very low detail LVT made by James DeSimone and sold through Plastic Panzers. Unfortunately their site seems to be gone now. I had one of these, and being detail-oriented myself, was unsatisfied. The tracks are wrong, and the plastic used (ABS?) cannot be glued to, and is a nightmare to cut, because any heat from friction, and it tends to melt and auto-heal itself. Horrible stuff!!

Maybe do a few 1/6 guys to start, and for the landing vehicle and attendant troops, try a different scale, like 1/35. You might even be able to pose them together, using forced perspective.

Good luck. Sounds like an awesome project!!!!

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
I wouldn't mind selling all my U.S. Normandy figures (30+), but I would want too much money for them......

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Pm me I can help you out, what others have said stay away from spring sprung, his stuff is all stock at full custom prices.

If you take your time and just start collecting parts within no time you will have enough to start building figures. Also if your jamming them into a boat, the guys in the back you can’t see that well don’t have to be fully kitted out..since you can’t see them fully anyway...

·
Rodolfo strikes again !!!
568 Posts
Ouf, yeah I'd stay away from SpringSprung. No offense to the guy but all his figures are pretty darn expensive.

There are lots of great sites to buy from, I highly recommend MonkeyDepot, Elite Brigade, and Black Ops Toys.
A project like this will take a lot of time.
Keep an eye out on Ebay for lots, maybe even set up an alert so that when something in the category you're looking for gets posted, you get a notification.

Also putting a Want ad up here can be good, seeking D-Day specific GI gear, may have some helpful members looking to offload some items.
Ditto.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Appreciate the help. Right now I have a few Saving Private Ryan characters all custom made but were expensive and I sort of regretted buying it as it ate the wallet. They look awesome. Worn, detailed. How i like it. As for the 20-30 others I needed, I dont see why i should go for highly detailed on all. I CAN inevitably weather them myself in the end. But, such a hastle. Remember this is coming from the guy who man i need groceries, buys KFC for 15 minutes of satisfaction, looks up, realizes it didnt solve the need for groceries. In other words. I do love detail. And to miss out kn slowly going through items needed then to buy cheap already put together figiures would give me ocd having detailed figures surrounded by dull bland looking figures that look like it came out of a 60s toy store. For all things detailed I even have me a 1/6 tiger tank on the way. Cost me nearly $750. BUT well worth it in my eyes. I love all things WWII.
Wow that's a big project!
Good on you, at least you got some ideas now on how much hassle you'll have to go through and how super expensive it's going to be... but that's part of the overall fun and satisfaction right?

I've not done a project this big, but I had a chance to assist on a few dioramas in the past that my colleagues put out. It's difficult and pricey but it can be done.
Here's a few tips to consider-

1) Which unit do you want to keep your focus on?
For the sake of accuracy, keep in mind many of the US Army outfits who landed in Omaha and Utah beaches have distinctive patches and insignias in their helmets and uniforms- most notably the 1st Infantry Div.('The Big Red One'), 29th ID, 4th ID, Rangers, also US Navy Beach Battalions etc...

2) Leading soldiers off the ramp-
I'm assuming you want to present the diorama of men the moment they disembark from the landing craft- so it's good you already have a few custom made ones as leaders. Again for accuracy most of them wore flotation belts and the 'D-Day Battle Vest' during the landing. BBI and Dragon made good ones, but maybe harder to find now.

For the other 20-30 men in the background you can use parts from 'less expensive' brands such as 21st Century Ultimate Soldier- their Parsons jackets are made of thin material, the gears are plastic or vinyl, but once wet and weathered still looks good overall.

I agree and second what other members suggested- for loose parts EBay is still the best and least expensive source, especially with items sold as 'lots'.
War-Toys, Rattlesnake Toys, Cotswold Elite Brigade, Justice Fighters are also good sources for used loose items.

***I just want to add you will need a few US Navy sailors to operate that landing craft, and perhaps one USN demolitionist on independent duty.
I can sell you some, they will be accurately detailed and expensive (but cheaper than SpringSprung:wink)

Good luck!:thumb

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes to more pics of the Higgins boat....please

·
Registered
375 Posts
Dave that Higgins Boat is incredible. They did a fantastic job on that. I have a crazy question though - what do you do with it? I would imagine a display case for a piece that size would have to be six feet long! The cost to have a plexiglass case made for it would probably be almost the cost of the boat itself. I would really like to see photos of how you display it. Often times folks on the board say "that belongs in a museum" - well imho your Higgins Boat could easily be the focal point of a D-Day museum display. Thanks for showing us!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dave - I fourth or fifth the motion to see more photos of your Higgins boat! Too cool! Hope you start a thread on it with lots of photos!

TheBatmanYear3000:

First and foremost: RESEARCH!

So it sounds like you want to recreate part of what you saw in Saving Private Ryan, right? Well - cool - but do more research than just watching the first 30 minutes of the movie a few times over. SPEARHEAD mentioned some of the different US units involved on the beaches on D-Day; it will help you immensely if you pick a unit to model and go from there as some used very specific equipment and insignia.

I would highly suggest buying this book as a start:

SPEARHEADING D-DAY: AMERICAN SPECIAL UNITS IN NORMANDY by Jonathan Gawne

Spearheading D-Day: American Special Units, 6 June, 1944: Jonathan Gawne: 9782908182798: Amazon.com: Books

What you are attempting to undertake would be a daunting task even during the golden era of the WWII hobby 10 to 15 years ago; be prepared to pay if you want quality stuff (when it is available). The plus side is that there are many helpful collectors here on OSW, on the Sixth Army Group ( Sixth Army Group ), and on Sixth Division that are willing to help you out with info, guidance, and probably some loose parts/boxed figures if you post a wants list on the forum.

Hope this helps!

Keep us updated on the project; we'd all like to see it come to fruition!

Fred

1 - 17 of 17 Posts