One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a web page with 3D printed RC airplanes that actually fly well.
They print the planes in large sections and then glue them together.

Home - 3DLabPrint

I was wondering if people had started making plastic 1/6 military vehicles with 3D printers yet.
This could be a way for a wide variety of 1/6 military vehicles and playsets/dioramas to finally become available.
Imagine the possibilities.

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
It's a game changer for our hobby and that would be the way to go! Hopefully these 1/6th manufacturers should consider
exploiting this technology to further enhance and supplement new products for us all to enjoy.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I saw a web page with 3D printed RC airplanes that actually fly well.
They print the planes in large sections and then glue them together.

Home - 3DLabPrint

I was wondering if people had started making plastic 1/6 military vehicles with 3D printers yet.
This could be a way for a wide variety of 1/6 military vehicles and playsets/dioramas to finally become available.
Imagine the possibilities.
Fellow forum member delusional has done an upgrade kit for the hasbro humvee which you can see here

In general it isn't cost effective for vehicles, at least at this stage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
3D Printing costs a lot more than injection moulding. Having said that, I believe the US Navy is planning to put a printer on board a surface ship so it can print spare parts for its UAVs.

·
I LOVE BOMB SQUAD
572 Posts
i have 2 3D printers and i want to start building some type of vehicle either a Humvee, black hawk, or what i really want to build is the M-ATV MRAP

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
I really didn't want to comment on this cause quite frankly, I am kind of sick of seeing posts about 3D printing, especially when people think its going to be the saviour of the hobby, or that you can make vehicles out of it. For those that don't know, I was one half of CadRat Productions, we created and produced items in 1/6th that could not be found anywhere else, we also did a lot of commission work. Now I am heavily involved in scratch building vehicles. Mostly WWII Allied.

Speaking of 3d printing, Having something printed, is only one part of it. The biggest and hardest part is getting a file that is optimal for printing. There are people working with free ware programs but the quality of the file is not great. So the learning curve of 3D cad is very steep. If you have that skill set then your a step ahead. Once you have your file, the printing it comes next. If you own your own printer, chances are it has a small print volume so again, at 1/6th scale...what are you going to be able to print? A wheel? Maybe, a tank turret? probably not. You might be able to do a vehicle in parts and pieces but that a lot of work....

Cost is another factor. Commercial printing is very expensive, for example, my CMP Wheel cost me just under $400 cdn to have a master created. That is for just one wheel. After that I molded and cast them, another cost involved but cheaper then printing 4 of them. If you own your own printer, it is going to be cheaper of course, but what level of detail are you going to get? For some parts its probably not an issue, for some ....? again depending on what you are printing it probably fine.

I have seen on some of the RC forums, where people have used 3d printers to create vehicles so it can be done, but they are working in 1/16 or smaller scale.

I would love to see a 1/6th scale vehicle created 100% from a 3d printer just to see what it costs....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
No doubt it would be too expensive for most ordinary collectors to 3D print their own complete vehicles - however, for the movie Skyfall they made 3D printed replicas of the Aston Martin DB5 to destroy...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts