One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new here and was wondering if you guys were willing to share information on your personal favorites or even some you have heard of! I'm still fresh in the hobby and would like to make a face sculpt of myself. However the only option I found was some place called EGO3D, however I am worried about the accuracy.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,891 Posts
You're post / question shouldn't be "who" collectors recommend, but "how much" it's going to cost you.

Being "new" to the 1:6 hobby, we don't know if you researched how much 1:6 head sculpts actually cost unless you're going by a rule of unenlightened thumb of say $50.00 to $100.00 USD and that price range is not the norm or realistic. Try around $250.00 USD bare minimum with no guarantee of quality let alone actual delivery. It's more like $500.00 USD and up just for one (1) piece and that's not including painting.

By now you're realizing / saying to yourself who the <CENSORED> is this guy telling me that? I know it can be done cheaper, etc.

The preceding is based on many years observation within the hobby.

If you disagree, then that's your prerogative and good luck to you.

Reactions: Davinator65

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,318 Posts
You're post / question shouldn't be "who" collectors recommend, but "how much" it's going to cost you.

Being "new" to the 1:6 hobby, we don't know if you researched how much 1:6 head sculpts actually cost unless you're going by a rule of unenlightened thumb of say $50.00 to $100.00 USD and that price range is not the norm or realistic. Try around $250.00 USD bare minimum with no guarantee of quality let alone actual delivery. It's more like $500.00 USD and up just for one (1) piece and that's not including painting.

By now you're realizing / saying to yourself who the <CENSORED> is this guy telling me that? I know it can be done cheaper, etc.

The preceding is based on many years observation within the hobby.

If you disagree, then that's your prerogative and good luck to you.
And $500 is an unknown HSculptor. Known Korean/Other HSculptors can charge you thousand(s) of dollars.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
One-off head sculpts are generally around $650+ from what I’ve seen — but you usually end up with several copies of said sculpt (as the cost to produce doesn’t justify just making one). These will not be painted, and you would then have to either do it yourself, or find someone to paint it for you — yet another challenge. You could try searching here:

Don’t be surprised, however, if you can’t find someone to do just your one-off (if that’s what you’re looking for), as the majority of the best only do group projects (ie, more than 10, but generally minimum of 50, people are involved — as there is more money in it for them, with little extra effort on their part). The cost for group projects to you for the sculpt could then be anywhere from $60-250 depending on sculptor for unpainted. Search the above forum to see if there already was/is one being considered, for what it is you’re looking for. Even if there is a project under consideration, there’s no guarantee what your want will even get made.

Don’t be surprised, if it’s something random you want done (say like someone in your personal life), that no sculptor will take on the project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally like to peruse places like AliExpress and then try to find the actual sculptor via online searches. Can't trust a lot of those stores on Ali. They tend to post stolen photos and ship very poor quality knock offs. But they are great for gleaning sculptor names. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I prefer 3d sculptor and print it myself, but as my fellow collectors said, the painting is up to you, If interested, search in fiver, I usually pay around $80 for a good head and it takes about 5 days to be completed

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would like to chim in on sculpting fee from sculptor side. I was charging $320 for a custom head sculpt just to get in the field. went okay in several transactions. Then I was getting ripped off- clients ghosting me after I finish the work. I get left with deposit (1/2 of $320) and unwanted sculpt. Happened more than one occasions.

Normally I look thru over 30 reference pictures of the face I am sculpting after and spend well over 30 hours on it. I can make more money working at the local grocery store. Then getting ripped off on top of that, really demotivated me. So I started to charge about $520 per a head sculpt.

Many sent me pictures of themselves and ask, hey can you sculpt me? I said yeah but it would cost you this much. I usually don't hear back from them.
Some had asked me to sculpt their stuff cheaper because "it's supposed to be fun and would be good exposure."
Can you imagine someone telling you that for your day job? It's insulting.
I do sell my own garage kits and someone often just take the head from it, alter it then recast and sell them on eBay. From this view point, it's better to be a painter than a sculptor. Sculptors are suckers.

If you can find a cheaper and skilled sculptor, good for you. Hope your project turns out great.

Please don't forget many of sculptors are doing this to supplement income. If you think the price is ridiculous, I guess you can buy from bootleggers and demotivate a guy like me to ever sculpt. Also you can always learn how to sculpt by yourself. If you get into digital, you don't even need to experiment with various kinds of clay or physical tool. And you might have a knack for it.

Thanks for letting me rant here.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,318 Posts
I would like to chim...rant here.
Good for you! Luckily I work with Fullmetal Customs. I can say that we have 1 customer who has not paid us in 5 years+. But at least he paid a huge deposit...but it still does not cover the 1/2 the cost of making it for him. That was the only customer. Of course we have had stragglers now and then, but for the most part, his clients pay on time. Now...Jon has work up to 6 months...and work still comes in...

Switchum...I like your rant.... Most people just don't understand what customs means or how much work goes into it. That is why I refer them to this blog or this video when they complain about the price:

Materials, Time, Creativity

·
12,891 Posts
The blunt & brutal fact / truth within the 1:6 hobby (or any hobby) is that there are many GOD DAMN F***ING [email protected]$$es who believe anything / everything can be done cheaper.

Fine.

Shop around and see where it gets you or not.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,318 Posts
Delta...I would not have it put it that way, but I am glad someone is speaking out about this. I know you have been ranting for years about this. In all the years I have been working for FMC, we have had only less than 5 from OSW. I think 2 or 3 customers. Most customers of ours come from Freaks. There, they know the value of a good customizer...

·
12,891 Posts
No.

"I AM" putting it "THAT" way because it's a topic that cannot be dealt with kids gloves.

Freaks is a totally different animal and environment with a very specific mindset when it comes to those who'll pay.

No. It's not a compliment or an insult. Just a fact. No more. No less.

We're all [email protected]$$es in varying nuances and there is no denying that. Some more than others. "Newbies" like many of us will experience and learn the hard way. Let them. Nothing beats hard experiences and lessons . . . for most.

You know. Like [email protected]$$ decisions to pre-order on eBay and then whine about being ripped when all caution is stupidly disregarded.

You and some others know I'm never to one to mince words . . . right . . . wrong . . . and indifferent.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,031 Posts
Hello! I'm new here and was wondering if you guys were willing to share information on your personal favorites or even some you have heard of! I'm still fresh in the hobby and would like to make a face sculpt of myself. However the only option I found was some place called EGO3D, however I am worried about the accuracy.
Did the replies get the desired information you were looking for? Just curious.

I would like to chim in on sculpting fee from sculptor side. I was charging $320 for a custom head sculpt just to get in the field. went okay in several transactions. Then I was getting ripped off- clients ghosting me after I finish the work. I get left with deposit (1/2 of $320) and unwanted sculpt. Happened more than one occasions.

Normally I look thru over 30 reference pictures of the face I am sculpting after and spend well over 30 hours on it. I can make more money working at the local grocery store. Then getting ripped off on top of that, really demotivated me. So I started to charge about $520 per a head sculpt.

Many sent me pictures of themselves and ask, hey can you sculpt me? I said yeah but it would cost you this much. I usually don't hear back from them.
Some had asked me to sculpt their stuff cheaper because "it's supposed to be fun and would be good exposure."
I do sell my own garage kits and someone often just take the head from it, alter it then recast and sell them on eBay. From this view point, it's better to be a painter than a sculptor. Sculptors are suckers.

If you can find a cheaper and skilled sculptor, good for you. Hope your project turns out great.

Please don't forget many of sculptors are doing this to supplement income. If you think the price is ridiculous, I guess you can buy from bootleggers and demotivate a guy like me to ever sculpt. Also you can always learn how to sculpt by yourself. If you get into digital, you don't even need to experiment with various kinds of clay or physical tool. And you might have a knack for it.

Interesting to hear the other side of that situation.

I have tried twice to have a custom head done of myself. Twice I was let down by the sculpters in question. I got my deposit back from one of them. Both of them ghosted and disappeared not only on myself, but others as well. One was here, and another on a different forum.

I totally get the increased cost of a single one-of item. I have had a few of them made. And made some myself. Heads and painting them, I've not had a lot of luck with, and one day I'll persue the subject again. It's always good to hear about someone who does this kind of work though. It literally is art, and when you buy art, you pay for the experience, and the skill and experience of the artist.

I have bought handmade items as well, and one of those is a largescale piece that Davinator65 has been involved with. It was worth every penny. I have also been in on custom weapons buys, and custom uniform deals as well. One day I hope to have a proper head made as well.

·
i draw pictures.....
2,045 Posts

Hi i am interested in a headsculpt. Do you have photos of your work? i am not kidding either. Anyone that knows me in 1/6th knows i pay top dollar for quality work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts