One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading None Braver I want to totally gear up the four PJs I have at home. I bought four Jose figures a while back. Using the Jose Figure and the Bones Figure as a base what do I need to add to them gear wise.

Thanx again

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
TO be honest, I have never seen a PJ wear anything near to what Bones is wearing (I am talking Special Tactics PJs and not Rescue). That vest of his is exactly like our MC-130 breatheren wear though. Most of the time they wear DCUs or BDUs on missions and MICH helmets. They can and do wear the 55P helmets also. Here is a good pic of the way I am used to seeing PJs:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Jolly Green Giants hhhooooooo!!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pic, but now I'm confused when you say Special Tactics and not Rescue whats the difference. From reading the book I thought that all PJs were rescue types

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
They are all "rescue types." However some PJs are assigned to Special Tactics teams who do a variety of missions like go with teams in the field as medics, and rescue PJs who do just rescue missions. Some PJs like STS, some like the rescue world since that is what their training is for. Up until recently rescue was in Air Combat Command. Now rescue is in AFSOC but they are still seperate. Same PJs can go from rescue to STS so it is just an assignment change.

·
not EchoBase Tung (Staff emeritus)
2,994 Posts
Pave what exactly is an MC 130? What type of Vest would be more accurate for bones? And lastly should i get rid of the black jumpsuit then?

Thanks
Tung

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Tung said:
Pave what exactly is an MC 130? What type of Vest would be more accurate for bones? And lastly should i get rid of the black jumpsuit then?

Thanks
Tung
Someone obviously wore a black flight suit but I have never seen one. PJs wear common SOF body armor and vests. Of course they get new stuff so often that they probably wear different stuff every deployment. Here are pics of PJs:

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, and have no experience to speak of, so I can't say if this is accurate, but I read a book awhile back on the PJs, and the descriptons given sounded exactly like BBI's Bones. The book is "That Others May Live" on PJ operations (mainly rescue from what Pave is describing)- but it was written before the Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts (by a PJ I believe), so it detailed some of their operations overseas in the '90s and also some of their rescue work along the US Coastline- the guy that wrote it was based in NY I believe, its been about 2-3 yrs since I read it though.

I thought it was pretty good, but again don't know how accurate it was.

Cheers,
Allen.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Yeah I have that book somehwhere around here too. The PJ gear has been evolving rapidly. I can tell you this, of all the PJs who have flown on my helo over the past 5 years, none of them have had a "Bones" type outfit.

·
Divine Intervention!
3,026 Posts
I have a question here too. As I gather that a PJ basically do rescue job and not really a combat unit, do they also sometimes carry heavier weapon like the SAW (from BBi Raptor to be specific) apart from M4 variants?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Porkins73 said:
I have a question here too. As I gather that a PJ basically do rescue job and not really a combat unit, do they also sometimes carry heavier weapon like the SAW (from BBi Raptor to be specific) apart from M4 variants?
PJs are combat capable. When assigned to a rescue unit, they typically do not have that much of a combat role. When they are in Special Tactics they will be farmed out to units like the Rangers or other SOF. I have never seen a PJ carry a SAW. The SAW is heavy and the PJ wants to be light on his feet. It would be safe to say that PJs do not carry anything heavier than the M4 into combat.

·
Divine Intervention!
3,026 Posts
Thank you for the reply Pave :)
I was building a PJ at the moment and had followed quite closely to the HotToys version. However, I want to arm him with a SAW for some little deviation from the HT ones. But I reckon it should be what you have replied.
Have also read somewhere in this forum that a PJ does not gear themselves with ECLS Harness. How true is that statement?
I know this is quite a difficult question to answer as there might just be that 1 odd guy who buy his own gear. A general view will do. Thanks a zillion in advance guys!

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I am not sure about that harness. It is SPEAR gear and I would assume that it would be available if they wanted it. Generally, teams like this can try out new gear all the time and use what they think is best. I wish I had paid more attention to our PJs gear when I was deployed last but that kinda thing isn't in the front of my mind over there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts