One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am back again ... this time I want to show off some of the progress that I have made on my latest AK47 build. Purists beware, this is going to be a modern build decked out with rails. The rails in question are the tri-railed fore-end and gas tube mount by Ultimak (see pic below from their website).

As you will see from the pics below, I have also given her a custom ergonomic grip to match the modern look that the rails give her. I still need to do some more work on the paintjob, weather her a little with a light drybrush and give some thought toward slapping a few accessories on all of that rail space.

What do you think of her so far? I value your comments and would love to hear from you.

·
Switched to Lurking...
693 Posts
You've done a masterful job with this custom. Well done sir. However... As a "purist" I think the front end looks nekid without some blond laminated wood! ;)

·
Customizer
2,232 Posts
Very nice work, looks a little like my 1:1 ak. Looking forward to seeing more !

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You've done a masterful job with this custom. Well done sir. However... As a "purist" I think the front end looks nekid without some blond laminated wood! ;)
Very nice work, looks a little like my 1:1 ak. Looking forward to seeing more !
Not bad TS!!!!
Nice work. That grip looks great!
Thanks for the kind words guys! I am quite happy with the way that she has come out so far. I'll post some more pics when I find the time to get around to doing some more on her.

·
Procastinatus Excelentus
1,226 Posts
excellent, i'm attempting the same rail system but you beat me to it.

Which foreend did you used for the lower rails?

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome job as always!
Awesome Jason!
Epic custom!
Thanks for the encouragement fellas! I appreciate the kind words.

excellent, i'm attempting the same rail system but you beat me to it.

Which foreend did you used for the lower rails?
Cheers Garaballo! Sorry to steal your thunder, but the more the merrier. I'd love to see what you put together. I used an M16A4 fore-end for the lower rail system. The 4D weapons sets are cheap and readily available. While they lack the quality of the Tier 1 manufacturers (SS, DAM, etc), they do the job and can be quite presentable with a little work.

Nice! ....That grip makes it look kinda like a VZ58
Thanks Canuck! The grip was modified from a DSR-1 that I had in the spare parts box which I had chopped up earlier from one of my other builds.

·
Registered
132 Posts
can i ask are 4d's weapons to scale, or are they big like boford's?
I believe all of them are cheap recasts of existing 1/6 firearms of various manufacturers, so their scale is mostly good. Type 95's magazines are bit too large tho, but that's the fault of the original one.

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm back again with a little more progress on the AKS-47. Though this is obviously a modern AK, I do not want to go overboard on the accessories. In order to maintain the practical and badass look of this piece, I have selected only a few choice accessories to make use of all of that rail space. As you can see, I have given her a taclight in an offset Larue mount for when the lights go out, and a Magpul AFG-02 to help keep her on target. Once I get my hands on one, I will mount an Aimpoint T1 Micro RDS with a low profile mount (from the VTS Revenger figure) on the upper rail; at which point I will call her done.

A big shout out to General Sam for his resin casts of the AFG-02 - this has worked perfectly on this piece. Thanks again, mate.

AKS-47 - stock folded

AKS-47 - stock open

As always, your thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Awesome work Turkeyshot. If you find the time and have the inclination, could you do a tutorial for how you made the rail set up? I've been wanting to add rails to an AK-47 and a Galil but don't have the faintest idea where to start.

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great work!!
Thanks Viper! I bet that you don't have one of these in that awesome collection of yours. :wink

Nice mods.

Is the tac light and mount a custom job as well? Well done.
Thanks cdn_rhino; although the light is not custom: it is the one which came with the Caltek Costa figure.

Awesome work Turkeyshot. If you find the time and have the inclination, could you do a tutorial for how you made the rail set up? I've been wanting to add rails to an AK-47 and a Galil but don't have the faintest idea where to start.
Thanks for the kind words Keelhaul! I didn't take any early WIP photos of this build so I can't show you a step-by-step of how I did it. The rail system was modified from an M16A4 handguard. Meanwhile the upper gas tube rail was fashioned from a strip of 'corrugated siding' styrene, although you could just as easily make it from the lower half of the M16A4 handguard if you have access to one (I didn't at the time). However, before you can attach these, you will need to cut away the original handguard and reconstruct the barrel and gas tube with 2 pieces of cylindrical plastic of suitable length and diameter. I hope this helps. Good luck with it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts