One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search of the forum and came up with scratch. Does anyone have a tutorial on taking a 21C AH-6 and adding seats to make an MH-6? Threw a couple of ideas around, but I only have one and don't want to mess it up. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had a (internet) friend who was converting a 21C Littlebird AH-6 into MH-6 specs. He got as far as designing and installing benches and he did a fantastic job of it from the pictures he sent me. I was in the process of back-dating one to original OH-6A specs for a Vietnam scout ship, so we satayed in touch often. Something happened and he dropped from the radar and I haven't heard from him in years. However, if you like, and I can try and dig up those pictures for you and post them...perhaps they can give you some ideas. The benches had working supports and folding mechanisms and were VERY acurate looking.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Glad to....

You will also notice that the skids had to be replaced with brass reinforced versions in order to accept the weight of the model. Most all of the 21C helos have very weak plastic skids and legs that will not hold up. After awhile the model slowly sinks and the skids will splay out until the belly is in contact with the ground (or shelf...whatever). Modding the skids is priority one, unless you intend to hang the model continually. Still, modding the skids is not hard (although a little time consuming) and look great. My OH-6A has been sitting on mine for over three years and has not sunk a bit!!

In case you are wondering, the above pictures of the benches are from a former member here called "SOPMOD"....and if anybody knows where he can be found, I'd really like to know how he's doing.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
I don't know what you have for actual pictures of the benches, but I have a few 1/1 refs that I can add if you are interested.

The pictures above are real good and pretty accurate to 1/1. They're a great start.

Some MH-6s also have a frame overs the rear doors for fast-roping, but they aren't always on the MH-6s. I think it depends on the mission and are most likely on a quick release mount. I have 1/1 pics of those too.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Some 1/1 pics.

Notice the different types of blade antennae. Pics 3 and 7 show an interesting antenna, or some such device, under the lower nose glass. Pic 3 shows a bit of detail on the drop catch for the fast-rope.

I am trying to find interior pics in the collection. Pics 1 and 7 shows a cover over the instument panel. In Pic 7 check the pilot wearing some interesting non-typical clothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
CDN RHINO:
Your pic 3 and 7 actually show the mount to the nose mounted IR and night vision pod (pod not attached) as in this pic of an AH-6.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
SSA - If I find some decent interior pics I'll add them. Still looking. Not finding them in my normal folder.

FW - I did think that originally as well. Could be a different mounting. I have that same pic too. The base of the mount, for the FLIR (Forward Looking Infrared), in the pic you posted is cylinrical all the way to the base. The ones I was looking at have a tapered type of mount, so I am not sure if that is a new thing, maybe a new type of FLIR, or the FLIR has been removed.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Just found out some interesting info. Folkewulf, that pic you put in, and 3 and 7 of mine are of the MH-6M MELB (Mission Enhanced Little Bird). They have a 6 bladed main rotor, staggered twin tail rotor, glass cockpit and enhanced electronics. I would suspect an engine upgrade as well.

In Pic 7 of mine, the bottom of that mount has a slight convex curve, which would normally mean there is something installed there, and not a removed piece of equipment. I was thinking maybe something like a Radalt antenna, but those are usually about 4" square, and on helos are usually mounted on the tail boom. Mysterious gear, hmmmm.... Actually, just ignore all this I had a VERY close look and it is flat. Just ignore this paragraph.

I have also noticed that not a single pic that I have of Little Bird has wire cutters on the canopy. Strange since these are usually used very close to urban areas. Just the place where one of these craft might encounter power lines, and such things.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looking through my book "Loach! The Story of the H-6 / Model 500 Helicopter" by Wayne Mutza, the only H-6s/MD-500s I found pics of with wire cutters were all law enforcement versions, and then only a few.

Most are border patrol birds.

This is an excellent book, BTW. Not much on the MH-60, but a good general reference.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
I have my AH-6 hanging from the ceiling of my Joe room. I have been thinking about converting it since I bought the things several years ago. At lease now I have reference information. Thanks for that!!!!

·
Customizer
2,232 Posts
Look in my gallery, I think there are pics showing some of the cockpit detail I put in my gun birds.
I have a couple birds at the house, one that has more detail than the rest as it's the last one I did.
I expect to be home for weekend of the 4th ( cross fingers). If you'd like I can get pics of that and post them.
LMK

3,824 Posts
Glad to....

In case you are wondering, the above pictures of the benches are from a former member here called "SOPMOD"....and if anybody knows where he can be found, I'd really like to know how he's doing.
How do you make those benches.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sheet styrene in many different thicknesses is available at most hobby stores. Evergreen is the company that makes it. They also make various shapes (rods, tubes, I-beams, etc...)

In fact, looking at it, I think Evergreen makes a sheet with that pattern already on it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts