One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some advice on using model paints on wood and possibly paper. I want to use enamel modeling paints on wood because of the wide range of effects available metallic,fluorescent, etc, and also matching shades- using paints made by manufacturers for wood from modeling suppliers could be troublesome.Do modeling paints react to wood differently than plastic? Does wood surface change in texture for example? Are there special priming techniques needed? I was thinking of using wood because readily available precut in various shapes and easy to join using wood glue. An example of the convenience of wood is using pre-made dowels painted to represent metal pipes.Thanks for any help.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
On wood, getting the surface sealed is important to smooth application of the paint. The type of wood can matter as well, as far as softness or hardness, and the grain. Lots of sealer/primer stuff out there, I don't know if modelling paints have made the jump to all-in-one yet, or not.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
On wood, getting the surface sealed is important to smooth application of the paint. The type of wood can matter as well, as far as softness or hardness, and the grain. Lots of sealer/primer stuff out there, I don't know if modelling paints have made the jump to all-in-one yet, or not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up-bluepoodleguy

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
I honestly would avoid enamels, I really wood (wood.. would.. get it?). You can get some fantastic acrylic paints which cover the effects you're looking for, including metallics. Enamels just don't dry properly in my experience, they are tacky, they are pain to clean up...

PD is right about sealing the wood first, otherwise your first coat is going to soak straight in. Cheapest way of doing this is with some simple kids PVA glue mixed 2 parts glue to 1 part water... Just brush it on and leave to dry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts