One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

The following probably won't be to everyone's taste, but I thought I would post results of my latest project...this time a custom Adventure Team figure (from the old days!). Photos are fairly self-explanatory :)

The following is a break-down of the items included in the project:

Retail Packaging (scratch-built, with the exception of the actual box, which was pre-made)
AT Uniform/Boots/ID Tag (Wal-Mart in origin, obtained on Ebay)
Shoulder Holster (custom-made by Steve)
.357 Magnum Revolver (custom-made and painted by Steve - he did a fantastic job on this)
Eye Patch (scratch-built using leather and Sculpey)
First Aid Kit (scratch-built using Sculpey)
2-way Radio (scratch-built using Sculpey and aluminium tubing…I tried to emulate a vintage Motorola 2-way radio)
Tan T-Shirt (obtained on Ebay)
Equipment Bag (obtained from a 1/6 scale website)
Topographic Map (scratch-built using an image found on the internet)
L1A1 Rifle/Accessories (obtained on Ebay)
Sterling SMG/Accessories (obtained on Ebay)
Green Torch/Rope/Water Bottle (obtained on Ebay)

Hope you enjoy the photos! Additional photos and a more detailed explanation of the project can be found at my website (link below).

Cheers,
Craig.

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
That's super, Craig! A lot of us got started in this hobby when were kids and it was either Action Man or GI Joe. For me in the States it was the all military GI Joe (the Action/Adventure stuff came a little later) but I was lucky to have access to a few of the early UK issued Palitoy items. Great effort, thanks for the trip down memory lane. Excellent action photos too! Where's that beautiful waterfall?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maddeningly cool.

Love your work.

You'll always find a JOE/AT fan in me.

Keep the custom wishlist stuff coming. :)

Btw, why is it that heroes never commit the crimes for which they are imprisoned? Once, just once, I'd like to see some badazz say "Yeah, I did it. Get over it. Knocked over an armored car. What do you want me to do now?" ;) ;)

·
Who loves ya baby!
7,037 Posts
Fantastic work Craig! As you know im a huge fan so its a real treat to see your customs. Im a big AT fan too so this is just wonderful to see. Great work as always!! Love all the cool accessories you included :thumb
-mike-

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
I'm always a HUGE fan of your custom Action Man work, Krak!! Painstakingly and beautifully done! And you can not beat that wonderful feeling you get when you see this kind of "classic" 1/6 look! Even though you produce new ideas and figures, they still make me feel like a kid again!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
For me, 1/6th will always start and end with old school GI Joe regardless of how many newer boutique figures I get. Your fresh interpretation(s) of this classic have a fan here, too. BTW, I have a few of the UK Action Man re-issues and I love them. They are fantastic figures.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks for all your comments...I'm glad there are some other AT fans on the forum! :)

"Where's that beautiful waterfall?"

About fifteen minutes drive from my house, FG...Queensland has been suffering from a drought for some time, but we've recently had heaps of rain...the waterfall hasn't looked this good for many years.

"Knocked over an armored car. What do you want me to do now?"

LOL - You're absolutely right, LG! With the benefit of hindsight, it might have been better if I made him a real 'badazz'.

"Even though you produce new ideas and figures, they still make me feel like a kid again!"

Cheers, GS! That's always been my rationale as well!

Regards,
Craig.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Like them,

Hmm, Action Man for £3.99, I guess they must've been. It's a long time ago you know! Boy I feel old looking at those! I wish I had a waterfall like that when I was playing with them.

CHEERS!

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
Like them,

Hmm, Action Man for £3.99, I guess they must've been. It's a long time ago you know! Boy I feel old looking at those! I wish I had a waterfall like that when I was playing with them.

CHEERS!
I guess you Brits have always paid through the nose for your toys. In 1964 GI Joe went for a cool $4 (basic Action Sailor, Soldier, Marine, Pilot). I think they went up to about $7 - $8 by the time the Action/Adventure guys came out ('67 or '68?). The Foreign Joe's (Japanese, Australian, British, Russian, German, French Resistance) were a little more expensive right from the start. I seem to remember that they retailed for something around $9 - $10. The really big money was in all the accessory sets of course. I remember they sold anywhere from $3 to $5 each. I used to buy huge bags of loose knock-offs for around 99 cents. You'd get a little bit of everything from uniforms, hats/helmets, and boots, to weapons and accessories. I don't remember who made them but they were every bit as good as the Hasbro items and a few pieces even better.

·
Undercover agent
338 Posts
Awesome!
Great pictures and the idea of a whole series is really cool!
Cool characters and the fact that there's two version of the same character (Jackal) adds to the "toy line" feeling.

Great work!

Wait wait wait... No villain?

·
Requiescat In Pace
7,095 Posts
Love that. I tried to bleach one of my Action Man's black fuzz to white when I was a kid, chaos ensued.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
The best thing about Action Man that I remember was that he was available everywhere and you could get, and indeed find, everything, even all the carded stuff. I wish that were true with DML nowadays, but, it is still true of the modern Action Man, he's everywhere though he is nowhere near as good as the Action Men of old.

Who remembers that funny rubber spacesuit that came with the Space Ranger!?

CHEERS!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.