One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently working on a King Kull kitbash and want to give a nod to the Marvel comics version by giving him a scar over his eye. In your opinions, would you add something to the sculpt so it's pronounced, or slightly carve it out so it's a bit sunken? Also, would you make it a shade darker or lighter? I'm looking forward to any and all responses. Thanks, guys!

·
11B
2,849 Posts
I wouldn't carve anything out of the sculpt because if you don't like the way it looks, what you did is more or less permanent.

Try using something like Sculpey or Fimo putty to make a scar. Then make the scar pinker than the rest of the skin .

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Scars begin as dark pink, but the older they are, the more they take on the natural skin tone.

The shape of it is another issue however... The best way would probably be to first make a "back up copy" of the original sculpt and work with that if you aren't sure how it will turn out.

It's hard to say if a scar should be an outie or an innie - it seems most wounds that doesn't heal that ok becomes an innie (a valley scar), while treated wounds (sewn up) might become outies. This also depends on where the wound is - I think that if a smooth surface (like most of the face) gets the wound the scar will be an innie, but if its around a joint, it will become an outie.

I cut my knuckle quite badly once so that it left a thick skin flap - under it I could see muscle tissue and I small white worm I swear was a nerve (unless of course I stumbled on the fact that I'm currently dead and decomposing and I disturbed a worm in his meal). I didn't bother going to get it sewn up, but just covered it with gauze and home medical stuff. It healed fine, but now I do have an outie scar right there.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Blacks and Asians have a tendency to get keloid type scars which are lighter or more pink than the normal skin colour and definitely outties.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've never managed to make a sunken scar that actually looks good, but I have used a bit of epoxy to build one up. I use the tip of a pin or needle to get the epoxy on and keep it really thin. I'm usually pretty happy with the result. And I tend to go paler for color, since that's how any of my scars seem to run.

Good luck!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have actually gotten a sunken scar to look OK. It was not really originally my idea. I bought an old Mattel doll that had a facial cut.
I sanded it a bit and filled it with a light red / pink paint.
Location and result looks a bit like a Dueling Scar.

- Ivan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts