One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL! I was trying to Shrink down a pair of PTE Blackhawk Tactical Boots. Was trying to save some money from NOT buying the Sideshow GI Joe set.

Major fail.

Now I see if it Shrinks down and is maybe usable... ? Maybe??? o_O

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
The key to shrinking boots is to not touch them once you pull them out. They will actually be a bit bigger then when you started but will shrink down as they dry out. I usually leave them alone for about a week 5 to 7 days. Any sooner and you get what you have going on....:dizzy

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've tried acetone (the strong one) a few times this way and the first result was the same.
When the boots swell leave them to dry and just wait, they will shrink in a couple of days once dry.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It works on all vinyl parts, but not all parts react the same so be careful!
Some types of vinyl dry plastic hard afterwards. With Dragon heads also works fine.
The basic procedure is (1) dip the part in acetone (2) when it swells and becomes soft (20 minutes max for big parts like heads, boots less time for sure) take out and leave it to dry. In a few days you are done.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
All say this again...the key is to NOT TOUCH your item for at least a week after you take it out of the acetone bath. If you touch it, chances are you will rip it or mold it into something you do not want. (especially head sculpts)

Acetone removes a lot of the plastic chemicals used in their production. Plastic it self will off gas these chemicals and depending on the quality you can see or smell it. (cheaper the worse it gets)

It is a great way to reduce the size of some items (top of the German jack boots *Dragon*)

I believe the OP's boots cracked because he touched them while they were still wet or not yet fully dried out...

·
Speed Thrills
3,997 Posts
Trial and error. I've ruined many an item with dye, bleach, spray paint, sunlight, etc.
That's real talk... But none the less. Thanks for posting the experience that others might learn from your trials. My mistakes and fails are quickly placed in the bottom of the trash can never to be seen or spoken of again:doh. If you've got a picture of the boots you wanted to use post a pic and I'll check my parts bin if I have them I'll shoot them to ya.. Thanks again man for sharing your experience.. Lesson learned:thumb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.