One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I know everybody and their dog has seen this set and had comments on it. Monkey Depot gave us a good picture review of it and I will admit their photos are better than mine (sorry about the shadows, I was trying to get close ups). Bear with me on this. Nobody has done a complete review, so here goes. Thanks to Alexei at Viking Playground for getting this out to me and putting up with all the slow emails.

The packaging - Getting well known for the big orange boxes. Not too fancy, but still kind of classy too. Love that big frog on the front.

The Figure - This guy is another of the new ACE body, and has great posability. It's my first ACE body, so I gave it good looking at. Joints are nice and stiff, but not too stiff. The waist is larger on the ACE figure body, which should fit all the ACE gear great, but maybe not so much on the DML and BBI stuff (already heard complaints about BBI gear not fitting at the waist of this body). Holds poses very well. Then there is that love-it/hate-it sculpt. I love it because it is so out there, and has a lot of potential to be used for other things when he gets to old to be a SEAL. The chin limits the down looking a bit, but how many figures do you have posed looking at their feet? It also has a bit of an odd look with a helmet on, but hey change is the spice of life right. Love the sculpted hands from ACE too. Nice feature. Oh and he comes with tan NOMEX gloves as well, and they are soft, not hard ones like BBI. You Just need to change the wrist pins from the hands to the gloves to use them.

The Uniform - Another new ACU is good. ACU seems to be in demand again, and another figure with it is a bonus. The colouring is very close to TS ACU, but a touch more grey. The cut on this is also close to TS. One difference I noticed was in the shin pockets (what are those actually called???) on the lower leg. The pocket is wider and higher up on the ACE version, and get covered by the knee pads. I am comparing it to the TS because most think it is closest to the actual thing. In reality none of the 1/6 scale ACUs are right on the money, and the real ACU varies as well (mostly in colour), so it may or may not be a big deal to anyone. Just using a comparison. The belt for this figure is under the jacket, but to use the belt you have to blouse the jacket, which makes the waist quite snug on the pants. And you need the belt to add the goodies. The belt is wide and long, and looks good at the buckle. The boots are great as usual. The knee pads are good as well. The cap..... ummmm what happened to that cap? My sample was cut too big for this seemingly huge sculpt. See the pics, this one is huge. Definately not the norm for ACE. I have half a dozen ACE caps and all of them fit better than this one.

The Vest - More Great detail and typical of ACE, it's a touch big, even for their own body. On the plus side of that, when you add all the pouches and bits to it, it looks weighted and a bit more realistic. The pouches weave into the vest with straps like HT vests, without the little bump thingys (don't know what those are called either). 2 Triple M4/16/SCAR-L mag pouches, a triple pistol mag pouch, a grenade pouch and the radio pouch. Good set up. Good quality and workmanship, and I have heard a lot of people wishing for just this vest.

The SCAR-L - The object of most peoples attention. The meat and potatoes, the main event.... It's here, it's new,..... but not perfect. The first offering is still always one that gets the most attention, and ACE won the race. We'll see when the TS hits the streets. You can make the long or CQB barrel by removing/adding the small section of barrel between the flash suppressor and the gas block. It looks like the lower receiver is pressed into the upper, and may hint at the possibility of the SCAR-H in the future, since it is not a one piece molded part. The rails look a touch big, and the gaps between the lugs look too far apart to be in scale. The mags are molded in tan plastic, and don't match the lower receiver much, but a quick re-paint will fix that. The mags fit snug and look good other wise, and you get 6 in total which helps stuff the vest. The ACOG scope comes with pins in the base, and holes will need to drilled into the top rail of the rifle to use the scope (or knock off the pins and glue this sucker on). The rear BUIS and the GRIPOD on the bottom slide over the rails like the real deal would, and are real snug. The front sight flops around, and the rear BUIS is molded in the up position (Pem Greene fixed his sights because of this, and they are better for it). The clips on the sling don't fit on the holes on the frame of the rifle where they would actually attach. There is a small piece of string tied to the left side at the base of the buttstock, and that is where I attached the sling clips. The clips fall off the string because of the gaps in the clips. The stock is positionable for short or fully extended lengths. It also folds too. I broke the little tabe that holds the stock in place on mine. When it is folded, it's at an angle and doesn't cover the ejector port, nice work there. The stock doesn't fold against the side of the receiver though, so there is an odd angle, and a gap between the butt and the receiver (I don't know if this is the toy, or if it actually does this on the real thing, but I am thinking it would fold flush with no gap.

The Other Stuff - Here is some more neat stuff too. The new Surfrie ( yes that's how it's spelled) Light and holder, both new designs. Sure to be good sellers loose.

The new Serpa Holster that changes postion. This is a neat thing, but strange too. The holster mounts to the base with little pegs, and position the pegs in different sets of holes and you get the angle changed. A bit of molding flash need to be trimmed from the pegs so it would work properly, but all is good once that is taken care of. I like the texture of it, it actually looks lik molded plastic on the real deal. It really is a cool piece. BUT.... it sits high on the belt and would be hard to use because of the vest. Even a cross body draw would have the vest in the way, as opposed to the hip draw. Not to mention the high arm angle and reach. I like this piece, but it seems a bit impracticle. The ACE M9 is the usual offering and fits snugly into the holster. So snug it makes the slide make a gap at the back, and you can see that in the one pic. My M9 is missing the guide rod, and has lots of molding flash. Like I said, typical ACE M9. Just keep it in the holster and it'll look fine. This piece would be better suited for a figure with a low profile BP vest (think security, VIP, CIA type figures), rather than a full tactical vest.

The M9 magazine holster is as cool as that Serpa holster, and the mag fits snugly. Use it or not, he has a pouch on the vest for more mags anyway.

Those Grimlock carabiners are cool and work too. These are going to be hot as loose items.

The radio looks great and the TASC headset fit well.

Sunglasses are typical ACE, but look good.

The dump pouch is OK, but I prefer TS CSM pouches for size and look.

That neat little booklet about the Man 1 body. And IR type velcro backed flags, just trim and attach.

My overall impression? Quite good actually. I think this set has a lot going for it. Loaded with NEW stuff (the ACU, SurFrie light, the SERPA holster, mag holster, G-locks, SCAR-L, the vest). The new ACE body is pretty cool. I like that sculpt (but many don't). It's a bit on the high side for price, and should come with a knife and maybe even a helmet, and a hydropack. Little bits. This guy is clearly loaded for high speed/low drag kind of mission, and still looks great all kitted up.

My dislikes? The SCAR was rushed I think. Finnicky little things make it a less appealing thing, but that's only a little less. And what happened to that cap?!

I would recommend this figure just on the fact that it has so much NEW stuff. ACE has always been kind of expensive, but for the most part, you get what you pay for. So enjoy.

But that's just my opinion, ...... you decide for yourself.

Attachments

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here are the SCAR pics and the poses. And the neat little book. Is that a new headsculpt coming from ACE? I like it if it is.

The loose gear is in high demand already, and with all the great new items in this set you might be just better off getting the whole figure, rather than pay a premium for the loose stuff. Big Catch 22 there, right folks...

The pistol draw would be a pain. Good aiming poses with the sights right up to the eye. Decent prone pose even with the gear on, and still aims well. Knee pads interfere with the kneeling poses.

Attachments

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Nice review.

I noticed that the arm pockets are a bit too low as well.They are almost elbow pockets.

And while ACE won the race to get the SCAR on the market,I saw the TS prototype way before this was seen.As far as which is actually better,that remains to be seen.I know alot of people don't like TS weapons for a variety of reasons,but the SCAR is going to be a big improvement in the M4's.

And that headsculpt in the picture was on the USAF STS Japan customizer version set that was released a few months ago.Very limited,I believe.

·
1:6 Casuality
1,122 Posts
Nice review. I agree that the SCAR's a bit of a disappointment. My barrel broke because it seems like it was glued in. Had to spend some time carefully digging out the male part so that I could put in the flash suppressor (wanted it to be the short barrel version anyways). The stock hinge is starting to show wear after one day. No cracks yet but you can see the plastic turning white at the hinge from the open/close action. It's downright moronic that they give you a sight that has pegs but no receiving end on the rifle. WTF? Overall, I like the figure and other accessories but like you said, the SCARs the supposed star of this set and poor choice of materials, QA, etc. has left me wanting to get the Toy Soldier version. Hopefully that will not disappoint. And to anyone that's wanting to buy the SCAR loose, be wary.

·
uber noob assembler
5,022 Posts
Nice review woolyrhino! Thank you for sharing:thumb I would have to agree with Freddy's comments on the Scar, despite the lack of attachements (ie PEQ, surefire etc), the folding stock is a bit fragile. I had to add bbi and HT attachements to get it to the look i want based on a ref pic. The Ts on the other hand, looks very good already just with the accessories that will come with the rifle, maybe just add a bbi suppressor:D Don't want to set that on stone yet, as we still have to see when they are released.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.