One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
That was Zen, This is Tao
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With figure prices on the rise, I was looking for a more economical way to build up my modern figure collection and I started looking at the body-less kits that are currently out there. I ended up going with an ACE package, so I thought I would post my thoughts on their Woodland Navy Rifleman set they made just for Good Stuff To Go and post a few pictures of my finished figure. I know this set has been out for a while, but it's a good price ($50) for the gear included and it is still available on the GSTG site. As most of you know, this set comes in woodland and desert, I got both, but have yet to put the desert version together. I used the HT TrueType Bronze body for this as I wanted the figure to blend in with my other moderns which are primarily Hot Toy releases.

The set comes packaged in a smallish cardboard box with all the pieces nicely saran wrapped separate of each other. The quality I would say ultimately falls in between Toy Soldier and HT, with some pieces looking better than others. The boots for instance ended up being rather goofy looking once on, but the chest rig / backpack are the best I have seen so far. The chest rig is a split type with four M4 mag sized pouches and a more general end pouch, the backpack is a nice assault style. The two fit together beautifully and fit nicely over the armor / molle vest. The vest itself fits perfectly and is adjustable at every level so that once you fit it to the fig, it looks very realistic and form fitting even with the plates inserted. The duty belt was worth mentioning too as it was fully adjustable of course and also used Velcro for faster access when changing up gear loads. The tan t-shirt fit my HT TT perfectly and looks great under the gear adding one more layer of believability to the final image. The BDUs are a great rip stop pattern and the fabric has an almost worn look to it that instills serious scale believability. The cut, however, is just OK in my opinion as they look a little big and almost GI Joe-ish in details like the pockets. I was able to take up slack in the outfit with the chest rig, belts, subload, holster, knee pads and I tucked the end of the pants into the boots so that the BDUs looked rather well tailored in the end. These items make up the bulk of the look of the set and in my opinion are fantastic on their own. The rest of the kit, I was divided on so I will give you the specific details on the separate items.

The knee pads are black cloth and probably a bit too big, but the attachment system is great and allows you to get them really tight or loose depending on your preferences. The baseball cap is fine, though it looks a little cheap and flimsy on its own, but fine under the headset. The tan hat and black knee pads look off to me on the woodland version, so I think I will part those off to another bash. The TASC headset did not fit the HS as well as I would have liked and the clip on the hand unit kept falling off, but it looks OK overall. The sunglasses were typical and fit my HS fine, nothing much to say on those. Obviously, an included helmet would have made sense, but was unfortunately left out. The two canteens are great and have a working plastic stopper and fit excellently in the provided pouches, I only mounted one on the fig as two seemed like overkill to me. Now for the weapons: the pocket knife is great and when opened looks much better than the HT version as it has a more aggressively shaped blade. The M9 is pretty shabby compared to the many versions out there now, but it does have a "working" slide and a removable clip (the set comes with one extra that fits in the holster). The M4 base rifle looks fine (comes with six mags), though mine had a lop-sided barrel and fell apart easily as the construction allows the barrel and non-telescoping stock to just pop off with regular handling. The RAS attachments for the M4 are very nice - in particular the light stands out with the depressed silver funnel under the flip up cap depicting where the light would be. Both the light and the laser rig have wired touch pads you need to glue to the rifle, the scope needs to be glued as well and I found that a bit annoying.

The only item in the set that I really didn't care for though, was the boots. They had several problems, the most obvious being that you could not fit a foot in there without a modification ala' Xacto blade. I needed to cut the tongue loose more than it was so that I could fit the foot inside, this was no big deal. The tongue had some stitching that I needed to cut through, but since you cannot see this when the boot is on - it was not an issue for me. When I finally got the feet in, I connected them to the figure and tucked the pants in and began a long lesson in patience. Lacing the boots was a nightmare, as those brass eyelets give way when you try any kind of tension on them. I ended up spending more time on my hands and knees searching for eyelets that sprang off onto the floor than anything else putting this set together. I needed to use two pairs of pliers - one to keep the eyelet on and one to pull the laces through. I did get them on, but as you can see the leather is rather rigid and just looks like a 1/6 scale leather boot rather than the real thing. I would not go this route again - the plastic jobs look a ton better and go on without all the lacing fuss.

Overall, I think the figure looks great and I also see it as a good value as it blends in perfectly with my more expensive HT figs. I am very happy with this purchase and I recommend the set with only minor reservations that are knit-picky in nature anyway.

Questions or comments are welcomed, have a better one.
- KYG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Great review - thanks! :)

I did get them on, but as you can see the leather is rather rigid and just looks like a 1/6 scale leather boot rather than the real thing. I would not go this route again - the plastic jobs look a ton better and go on without all the lacing fuss.
I too was not satisfied with those particular boots - ended up stripping the speedlace eyelets to make some West German para boots! There are much better leather boots available than those ones though, eg: the desert boots from Soldier Story use very thin suede leather which looks fantastic.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Great review. I have to agree with you on it. I picked up this set a while back and was extremely pleased with it overall. My only 2 beefs were the boots being useless on any of the figures I had and the fact that the M4 attachments had to be glued on. (I much preferred the BBI method of pressing them into place with the mounting pegs.)

·
That was Zen, This is Tao
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice set! I like the gear on this one, one thing you might want to change though, is that Eotech sight is on the backwards;)
LOL - oh well here is where my lack of expertise becomes plain in modern gear - I have always been more of a SW collector and am only recently getting into military based figures. Justin, I will take a look at the tan desert boots - thanks folks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.