One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BioChem Division
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question:

a halo jumper equipped with diving gear such as the HT Navy Seal jumper/diver guy has both jumping and diving equipment on.

my question is, transitioning from air to sea to land, how does the gear change?

obviously he would have to bring everything with him in a big bag and jump with it. once he lands in the water, does he ditch the gear he no longer needs? like the parachute. what about the M3T helmet and the oxygen mask? does he chuck that and put on his LAR-V with goggles sans helmet?

once he reaches land, does he stash his remaining gear and only carry what he needs for his land mission? or does he keep his rebreather/mask equipped?

last question, do divers wear any kind of body armor?

thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well i dont know much but ill telll you what i can.

1st the gear change is pretty mission specific, but you can say that if he jumps from the plane, lands in the water, and has to climb aboard an enemy vessel or oil rig he will probably keep on his wetsuit, or dry suit as well as his kit, but if you would want him to go on an long range recon patrol or direct action mission he may bring a pack with gear or bdu's to change into along with weapons and ammunition.

2nd Yes as soon as he hits the water he would ditch everything that wasn't mission specific like the parachute, jump helmet, and oxygen mask (he would use the rebreather and goggles idk about the sans helmet)

3rd If the mission requires like you stated he may stash the dive gear to swim out to extraction point, but more than likely he will ditch the dive gear for his combat equipment.

4th I dont think they swim with it but if the mission recommends it then he may carry it in with the rest of his kit,b ut i would think not because of wieght issues.

P.S. you can always do a search on the board for HALO/Diving.
Hope this helps
Carey

·
BioChem Division
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response.

the scenario im thinking of would not be any kind of extended operation. more than likely very objective-specific and not lasting very long at all (such as quick underwater infiltration, do what ya gotta do, then get the hell out).

so i think he would probably keep his wetsuit and brething gear on.

i think the main issue was the m3t helmet. after the jump, he should ditch the helmet altogether? would it be not possible to keep the helmet on with the rest of the dive gear? it seems like the helmet has all the comm gear inside it, plus it looks cool. and if he ditches the helmet would he have to use a backup communication setup? can the helmet be used as a measure of protection during the mission as well?

i want to be able to pose the character "in-mission" after the jump has already happened, he has already swam his distance, and has just emerged out of the water with gun in hand to begin the mission. also a possibility he might have to swim back away from the site before being extracted by helicopter.

it would be nice to know exactly which gear he should have on at this point in the begining of his mission on land, and which gear should be "discarded".

i tried searching the forums and looking online but its difficult to find some detailed pics of combat diver gear in action.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok

Well if u r going for accuracy then yea he would ditch the helmet and use like a tasc swimmers headset or anything waterproof, but hey it's your bash do what you like.

Well if extraction is offshore then he would stash it out of the way , just carry it with him until the mission's end.

Well he would discard the jump chute, helmet(optional), and any other gear associated with the jump.

He would keep depending on what u just said the web gear, nd stash the scuba gear, keeping his radio(s).

Hope it helps and Good LUck!
Carey

·
Registered
89 Posts
O idk man i think so maybe for flying older choppers or something, but you'll just have toask around:ar15

·
all up in your bizness
2,013 Posts
I seem to remember an old thread discussing this but a quick search and I didn't pull it up. From what I remember it mentioned in reality jumping with swimming gear is done with static line which is what the few pictures I have support. I don't quite remember the reason for this but if I had to guess I would say its an issue of velocity.

·
BBi Fanboy
2,210 Posts
What would be the benefit of HALO jumping into the water to reach your target? Why not use a water insertion method, like RIB or sub? Unless the body of water is land-locked and is the only way to the target or contains the target (like a ship). Static line jumps make more sense in this context.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the sake of the bash, I think a HALO water insertion is more interesting than a static line.

The helmet is discarded for sure.

It's only good for impact protection and wouldn't help much in combat. Plus, I would think the added weight after the water soaks into the helmet on your head adds an extra risk of drowning and hinders mobility in the water.

Perhaps, in their combat sack they would carry a secondary helmet and maybe body armor depending on the weight load and duration of mission.

If he's first coming out of the water, then I would say no helmet and no body armor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts