One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I was talking with a buddy of mine who is in the SF, and we got on an interesting subject about the STRIKE system. And how none of those plate carriers in any of those SEAL pictures are made by BHI. They are a new product by Eagle that was copied by BHI(where have I heard that before...????). Some of the smaller pouches might be STRIKE, but the rest of it is the Eagle MLCS(Military Load Carrying System). And here's a link. http://lightfighter.net/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=7336015661&f=2106044761&m=8256095515

And ONCE AGAIN! Black(chicken)hawk comes out on bottom :grinroll

·
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
5,445 Posts
<sarcasm>Gee I wonder where you've heard that before...</sarcasm>.

However, I can't see your link since I'm not registered on the Lightfighter forums.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The story goes that BHI was asked to make copies of the Eagle MLCS, by whom I dont remember, since Eagle Ind. couldn't push out enough MLCS-gear for all the units.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, to my knowledge, BHI isn't issued to any SFGs. Some members might make private purchases for some items, but from what I've heard, a lot of Army SF guys trust many other companies over BHI. Just look at some of the pictures from Iraq and Afghanistan, not a great deal of BHI, a few vests or pouches or packs here or there, but it is definatly out numbered by other companies such as Eagle, LBT, HSGI, SOE, SOTech, Safariland, and SDS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
UmpaLumpa: I must disagree with you. In _many_ pictures of SF units pictured, you see the good old BHI TAC-1 vest or the SPEARS system.
If you look at pictures from the SF-group in the Phillipines there are alot of BHI DOAV-vests.

Checking my back-issues of Soldier of Fortune most of the SF-guys pictured are wearing what is regarded as "lowspeed" over at the LF or AW-forums. In other words, SPEARS or BHI gear. Combined with the oh-so-hsld-ALICE-pouches.

It is my understanding that if it works, and does its job, it's worn. No matter if it's the latest Kifaru bag or just a regular Alice-pack.
And the extra bonus is, that if it's issued gear, you can go to the PX and have it replaced directly if anything breaks...

And then of course, some people spend a little more on their equipment than others. Just like a mechanic prefers another maker of screwdrivers...

And most of the opinions on the LF-forum are based on the older versions of the BHI-gear. I have a couple of old SAW-pouches that almost fell apart by themselves. But I do also have alot of newer (Vietnam-produced) gear from BHI that sure lives up to it's claim of being virtually indestructible.

I also own gear from LBT, Eagle Ind. SOE, Safariland, SDS & Paraclete (SDS being the crappiest of them all in terms of stitching and use of materials).
The Paraclete RAV isn't that impressing either. It's built like a tank, but the stitching is sloppy as hell.

But then again, what do I know? I base my knowledge by being a weekend warrior and collector of tacgear... There's prolly some BTDT that can elaborate further in this matter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand that alot of BHI gear is being used in the military, but I would have to say not as much as other brands. Here's my observations:

Vests: Seen the most of Safariland ELCS and BALCS.

Holsters: Definatly more pics floating around of the Safariland holsters in different varriations.

Packs: LBT or Eagle 3 days, also alot of LF RAIDs.

I have seen some BHI Omega vests being used(Not TAC-1, that's Eagle I think. What BHI copied). And have seen a few DOAVs, though not too many. Like I said, the majority of SF are using the ELCS from what I've seen. And I have also been seeing a lot more gear being used from HSGI and SOE which are both stellar companies. Both equally hardcore gear.

Oh, and yes, SDS makes some of the worst gear I've seen or used. Really poor QC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts