One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
knights1952 recently posted a tribute to the late Mike Gauldin, who brought us DOG SOLDIERS figures:
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/824252-john-fords-bugler-derice.html

I had been planning to post some pics of my Dog Soldiers collection since finally getting a Pawnee Warrior last year. knights1952 got me going on that, with the thought that there may be a number of newer members who missed out on the Dog Soldier series. Here they are, pretty much as issued:

CHEYENNE WARRIOR

PAWNEE WARRIOR

APACHE WARRIOR

Oops! He looks better if I don't forget his breechcloth.

BUFFALO SOLDIER

VIKING

The bodies were low quality and difficult to pose, which obviously came from the effort to produce a range of affordable figures for a small niche. But as far as I know, except for the Sideshow Crazy Horse figure, there have been no other Native American figures mass produced. A lot of effort went into detailing each figure with as much proper equipment and regalia as possible.
Some parts and specialty items were sold separately, like an 1872 Officer's Blouse with black frogging, and there were plans for the "near legendary" McClellan Saddle that, sadly, never came to pass. For an Indian War enthusiast like myself, the Buffalo Soldier alone was a gold mine. I was trying to make a trapdoor carbine to cast when the DS version became available, and I modified many of these until BattleGear Toys came out with a superior version.
Eventually, Good Stuff To Go became the sole distributor for Dog Soldier items and I bought up a lot of pistols, carbines, blouses, trousers and cartridge belts for a variety of bashes. These figures will be proudly displayed in my home and will be joined by improved bashed made from Dog Soldier parts for as long as I bash figures.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Nice presentation and tribute, Mark.

I miss Dog Soldiers, and Good Stuff To Go, too.

·
Just a cowboy singer
721 Posts
I sure wish they were still around and parted out like goodstufftogo used to do.....great post Mark!

·
1/6th Western Collector
1,181 Posts
Nice Mark. I have then with the exception of the Viking. They were well clothed in period outfits. Too bad they are gone.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Dog Soldiers,Good Stuff to go,I recall a line of Lewis and Clark figures carried by Good Stuff. I'm not sure who released it. All gone now. I'd love to see a line of Native American figures. Especially if they were executed with quality and accuracy, something like KPs figures.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DS, GSTG, ...Ah yes, the good old days gone by, but not forgotten.
Tim, the Lewis & Clark figures were by "Manitou Free Traders". The did L & C, York, Sacajawea, Charbennau and I think an enlisted soldier (it was a military expedition, after all). I got some capotes and a fringed frock coat and some camp equipment and a campfire (with lights and a fan) from GSTG, but never got any figures. They still show up on ebay.
I'm working on an upgrade of the SST Custer & Crazy Horse to post - stay tuned!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I still have a ton of parted out Dog Soldier bits and I too miss GoodStuffToGo... a lot! I grabbed a few of the native American heads and have them on hot toys bodies...

·
Registered
16 Posts
DS, GSTG, ...Ah yes, the good old days gone by, but not forgotten.
Tim, the Lewis & Clark figures were by "Manitou Free Traders". The did L & C, York, Sacajawea, Charbennau and I think an enlisted soldier (it was a military expedition, after all). I got some capotes and a fringed frock coat and some camp equipment and a campfire (with lights and a fan) from GSTG, but never got any figures. They still show up on ebay.
I'm working on an upgrade of the SST Custer & Crazy Horse to post - stay tuned!
Did Manitou come out with an enlisted soldier too? I thought it was just L & C, York, Sacajawea, and Charbennau? I was lucky enough to snag one of each of those five. Actually, I had a second Lewis that I've got listed on eBay atm.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, they had a sergeant (actual historical person) and at least one enlisted. I saw your Lewis listing, but there has been very limited ebay listings and I've never come across any soldiers. If you search OSW for manitou Free Traders, you'll see some posts, but all the pics and links are dead.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts