One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finding a legless body ( and a bodyless leg) I made an artilleried figure.
Everything is DiD except soldat 4 sculpt (repainted) modified DML body, dml boots, cusotm insignia, and HWF helmet & liner

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
I did something similar with a G3.5 Body that lost an arm, maybe ill show mine too.
Well done, maybe cover the cardboard on the sides a bit better :D

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
No not a screamer for sure. You need one with blank expression and 1000yd stare.

Get your paint brushes out!!

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll admit the sculpt isnt perfect. It's ok. It works, kinda

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
Personally, as I mentioned elsewhere, I find it rather tasteless.

I do not understand the fascination with these types of 1/6 displays. Some will disagree with me, and I accept that. Some will call it artistic expression, etc..

As one who has dealt with the realities of war like this up close and personal, I can tell you that the smell, the sounds never go away , and displays like this serve no real purpose in my eyes. Ever heard another human being screaming in such a way he doesn't even sound human?? Ever tried to stem the flow of lifes blood from another human after his body was torn apart like this?

Just my opinion and my rant for the week.

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personally, as I mentioned elsewhere, I find it rather tasteless.

I do not understand the fascination with these types of 1/6 displays. Some will disagree with me, and I accept that. Some will call it artistic expression, etc..

As one who has dealt with the realities of war like this up close and personal, I can tell you that the smell, the sounds never go away , and displays like this serve no real purpose in my eyes. Ever heard another human being screaming in such a way he doesn't even sound human?? Ever tried to stem the flow of lifes blood from another human after his body was torn apart like this?

Just my opinion and my rant for the week.
BR, good rant. I understand some people do not like dioramas like this. I know it is tough for people to get the atrocities of war out of their mind, my old company commander from ROTC just got back from Iraq, he came back different then when he left. I've experience un-human sounds after almost being killed myself in a bad car accident.

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
BR, good rant. I understand some people do not like dioramas like this. I know it is tough for people to get the atrocities of war out of their mind, my old company commander from ROTC just got back from Iraq, he came back different then when he left. I've experience un-human sounds after almost being killed myself in a bad car accident.
Good Richard, then you understand the rant is not against you personally as it could have been taken within the limits of our little electronic world here. Or anyone else for that matter. It is just the whole concept in general.

·
BBi Fanboy
2,210 Posts
I have to agree with BR here. I can't see the need or purpose behind dios like this. I recall someone doing something similar, but more gruesome with the DiD screaming head. Modeling how a man looked in battle as a hobby is one thing, but when you push it this far, then it stops being any kind of tribute or memorial or even study, and IMO, crosses into the realm of exploitation. Combined with the debate over which headsculpt would have most accurately captured the pain of such a event, is, IMO, too much. I think that stuff like this almost mocks the sacrifice of those injured in battle, whether friend or enemy.

How would you feel seeing someone meticulously constructing a detailed recreation of the death of someone you knew, in all its bloody detail? What if that huge dio/tribute to Shugart and Gordon, done by a member here, had instead depicted their corpses being dragged through the streets? This hobby does sometimes demand that we turn something of a blind eye to some of the less agreeable events of history, but not so much that we forget, or overlook exactly what war is.

This is not meant as an attack against Das Soldat or anyone else who constructs something similar, just an expression of my opinion.

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sgt.Schultz-
This is probably the farthest I would ever go on a figure. I wouldnt have somebody dragging a dead soldier through the forest. I had plansa for somethign similer to this figure, but much more toned down.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Interesting and charged display Rich. Must have been a pair of trousers you didn't like either ;P
For me the first picture was enough, not that the other pictures are bad. It told me this poor trooper's tale and about his dire position.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.