One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Brit Basher
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I got inspiration for this figure after browsing the Osprey title Imperial Roman Naval Forces 31BC - AD500 which featured soldiers from Legio I Adiutrix heavily. The heavy usage of blue in shields and tunics in the artist drawings stood out and I decided to do something similar with my figure. As a result, I dyed the tan tunic and completely repainted the shield with a custom design. Despite using a very strong blue dye in high density, the tunic refused to get any more vibrant blue. As a result, it has a much more faded sky blue colour but I think it gives it a bit of a worn-in, well-used look.

I don't have a specific time period for my figure, and I've taken a bit of liberty with regards to equipment as you'll see.

This particular legion is claimed to have originated from marines levied from the Roman navy, so I decided to hand-paint a Roman-style dolphin motif at the base of the shield as a kind of homage to this nautical background. I decided to copy a Roman 4th century mosaic from Halicarnassus for the shield design. Sadly I didn't manage to sand down the original legion heraldry before painting, but my hastily considered explanation is the shield was hastily re-purposed for this soldier.

One point regarding KP figures, I do hope in the future they design their bodies to be far stiffer. The joints on this figure were far too loose to support the heavy shield and heavy metal helmet. The figures are superb but the body beneath just cannot support these heavy items in any kind of 'action' pose. It took a very long time to get him to stand upright for each shot!

Thanks for viewing.

]

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,207 Posts
Re: A Roman Marine from Legio I Adiutrix

Splendid : there's so much potential with classical subjects now, nice to see some originality.
The Roman blue dyes were the same as the later ones, woad chiefly, so they would have the same blues as pre-synthetic dyes from later periods.
What blue pigments for paint they had I'm not sure offhand, but they seem to have had access to better ones that the medievals had. Must look them up...

G

·

Very creative piece. The dolphin motif looks spot on and the blue looks authentic enough. Great work! Seeing the few ancient Roman kitbashes lately gets me thinking a bit. Perhaps I should work on one as well.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Same as Pukingdog, I couldnt see the images, so I had to copy and paste them individually on my browser.

But not to detract from your awesome custom. I really enjoy his concept. Lovely custom work on the shield.

I have most of the kaustic plastik bodies at the moment, and recently they're pretty solid, pretty stiff. From the centurion ( artorius lucius castus) to the gladiator anniversary sets ( 1 and 2 ) to the newer kp04 bodies, I've been pretty satisfied with how well they can handle the weight of the armour and shields.

My centurion is customized after the Legio II adiutrix ;) So maybe they'd be close friends ?

great work mate, hope that one day you can port this custom on a sturdier body !

Dunno what happened to the pics you posted, but they don't show automatically , apart from that, congrats!

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Very fine work. I really like shield...damn nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts