One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’ve just started collecting 1/6 figures, WW2 being my area of interest, and I’ve bought DiD and Ujindou so far, though I’m fair in awe of the modern Damtoys ones I’ve seen too but can’t see me affording too many of those.

I’m fairly blown away by the detail on these things now since the last time I looked was 45y ago as a kid playing with Action Man. I’m just wondering why these figures are so hard to come by in the UK… I get the reason for their serious price point, but there seem to be very few distributors here, (in fact maybe only one for whole figures?) - and I’m noticing when stock gets low of a figure the unit price goes so silly I can’t touch it. Other UK websites seem to take complete figures and break them down for spares only rather than sell complete. Is this the way people generally collect these or is it just more profitable to do it like that? Struggling to see why there’d be the demand for such specific spare uniforms & kit over and above for people who’ve got the figure and broken/damaged an item, but there seem to be more units broken down for spares than are on sale as complete.

I’ve already had to import one from abroad to the UK at enhanced cost… frustrating! Anyway just wondered if any UK collectors might enlighten me on how it works! Cheers

· Registered
2,057 Posts
I'm not in the UK, but that's exactly how it works. These are relatively small-run products for a specific market so there's only so much product to go around and the market, I think, is smaller than it once was. Back in the day there were a lot more producers making affordable products versus the fairly bespoke producers now who make higher-end products at higher-end prices, which is unfortunate for those new to the hobby.

Look into Dragon Models WW2 sets..............even the early releases display really, really well and should be very affordable.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the illuminating reply. I guess it’s a rich man’s hobby so I don’t expect my collection will ever grow too large anyway. Does seem a shame it seems to me so many figure sets are bought up by dealers and broken down for spares but if it wasn’t more profitable I guess they wouldn’t do it

· Registered
2,057 Posts
It doesn't have to be a rich mans hobby, but it certainly can become one. If you want to save a few dollars look up 21st Century Toys/Ultimate Soldier or Dragon Models sets on eBay or even on the web, there might be hobby stores out there still with stock of Dragon Models figures....and those figures are going to be sub $100 if not lower depending on the model....of course we're talking about stock that is 10-20 years old so, keep that in mind if you don't like, say, Dragon's early face paint or the strange bodies in the 21st Century Toys/Ultimate Soldier sets. BBI is another company you can look into.

You can do it on the cheap, buy loose and kitbash your own guys......whatever works for you. Good Luck.

· Where's your God now, Forrest?
355 Posts
The market for WW2 1/6 figures in the UK is very small in comparison to Asia and the US. so there aren't many distributors here for that era. Today's figures aren't cheap.. a combination of higher quality, more expensive raw materials, labour and shipping costs, have really pushed the prices up over the last few years. As HeadRusch1 said, there are cheaper figures to be found, but they will usually be older ones.
Some people like to build custom figures, or upgrade older figures, so being able to buy spares is a good thing. Individual pieces aren't cheap, but it's usually better than having to buy a whole figure. It's often a case of buying it/them when a figure is released, otherwise the prices get silly. There are also a few people who make their own custom parts and sell them. Tony Barton (who often posts on this forum), makes great quality items.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I’m new to the party so it’s frustrating to see so many items only released very recently already completely unobtainable. By the way are Dragon in dreams the latest incarnation of Dragon? Or are they separate unrelated companies? I’m old enough to remember when the price of a Dam Toys figure would be accepted as a deposit on a house 😳

· Registered
2,057 Posts
Different companies..........DID is Dragon in Dreams, a more recent and I believe separate company. Dragon Models Ltd is the company I was referring to above, and their releases go way back into the 90's.

Here is their site, you can see a listing of all the figures they released starting in 2003....but they started releasing product much earlier, in 97 or 98 I think if not 96.

The 1/6 hobby had it's golden age in the 90's and 2000's..but that just means its easier for you, new to the hobby, to see how it's evolved in terms of product over 30+ years and also have your pick of which used items you want to look for, if any.

Just thought of something:
Here's a recommended archive of reviews of not only 1/6, but an awful lot of 1/6 over the years, Michael has a substantial collection that goes way back to vintage and it spans a wide selection of subject matter, not just army guys etc, lots of movies and comic book and so forth.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that, yes indeed I can see how the engineering and production has come one since those early Dragon releases. Trouble is having seen the DiD stuff the Dragon just looks, to me anyway, toy like in comparison. You gets what you pays for - but given the prices of the DiD figures on the website of the sole UK importer seem to randomly jump from expensive to ridiculous between views from one day to the next I think I’ll maybe stop my collection at 3 and find another hobby!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts