One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y'All bit of a newb here

So my first picture post

a few garden photo shots of part of my alfrex Jidideki collection..
Hope you'll enjoy...

Sonny Chiba as a ninja

Kogarashi-Monjiro 01

Kogarashi-Monjiro 02

...cant remember this one name but it's got the Lone wolf, Yagyu Hitman feel to it

Btw (please let me know if I infringe on a forum no go here..)
my girlfriend and I fabricate on order, custom 1/6 Warajis (straw sandals)
hand nitted, one linen thread on a wire frame.
If your interested please pm me..

the warajis

Sony Chiba trying out a pair..

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
Why do they wear fruitbaskets on their heads?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Y'all
for your heatwarming welcome

...yeah posing was quite a b.. ...was painstaking
and I'm not showing you the 2500 other frames I shot to get these ones :D

@Palaboon
If you're not familiar with the Lone wolf, or other Japanese 70" movies you might recall similar headgear worn by the three "storms" in "Big trouble in little China"
I believe they are worn by priest or monks of some sort.

here's a couple of shots of the same Alfrex Sony Chiba Ninja in a lightbox

·
Registered
303 Posts
Palaboon said:
Why do they wear fruitbaskets on their heads?
The one worn by the monk(the guy with the flute) is used to signify his detachment from the world. It's a zen buddhism thing.

The samuai wearing the large conical straw hat, well, it keeps the sun off, the rain off and snow off...sorta like a large unbrella on your head.

Otawerks, the figures look great! On a side note, the blades and scabbards should face up(unless they are using tachi, a longer thinner sword). The Katana and wakazashi were worn blades upwards(the curved/sharp edge upwards) because of several reasons, one of which was the drawing action used to cut down samurai on horseback. Also, wearing the blades in this way keeps the cutting edge from resting on the wood in the saya(scabbard) thus keeping the edge free from damage or dulling.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PASKAL88 said:
Otawerks, the figures look great! On a side note, the blades and scabbards should face up(unless they are using tachi, a longer thinner sword). The Katana and wakazashi were worn blades upwards(the curved/sharp edge upwards) because of several reasons, one of which was the drawing action used to cut down samurai on horseback. Also, wearing the blades in this way keeps the cutting edge from resting on the wood in the saya(scabbard) thus keeping the edge free from damage or dulling.
Hi PASKAL88
Thanks for your expert input :)
So the drawing hand should be palm up as well?
but wasn't there different sword & drawing schools or currents?

·
Registered
303 Posts
otawerks said:
Hi PASKAL88
Thanks for your expert input :)
So the drawing hand should be palm up as well?
but wasn't there different sword & drawing schools or currents?
There were many drawing positions for the blade but wearing the katana always entailed the blade facing up to keep the edge. Its like when swords are displayed on stands, the blade should always face up.

Probably gives a good overall view of basic drawing techniques.

·
Im a Picatinny Rail Nut
2,965 Posts
lol @ fruitbasket joke, all kidding aside I love the custom sandles. Right off the bat I got a flashback to Big trouble in little china. Welcome to OSW, please make yourself at home.

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
PASKAL88 said:
The one worn by the monk(the guy with the flute) is used to signify his detachment from the world. It's a zen buddhism thing.

The samuai wearing the large conical straw hat, well, it keeps the sun off, the rain off and snow off...sorta like a large unbrella on your head.
And on top it all, you can carry you fruits in it, its genius! No seriously, i wouldnt wear one.

But it looks quite cool and really has a Big Trouble feel to it now that you mention it.

The only 70s Samurai Movie i've seen is actually was Steve Oedekerk used in Kung Pow :D

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Nice Ninja and Samurai Warriors and great pictures! Those Alfrex figures were always quite stunning, and the subject always quite alluring, so its no surprise that manufacturers have been on their heels as of late, but I still think these originals were the most original and nice looking.
Nice sandals as well, they look very well made, and a bit of a pain to make :p
Also, a belated welcome aboard!

·
Registered
303 Posts
PSCMATT said:
lol @ fruitbasket joke, all kidding aside I love the custom sandles. Right off the bat I got a flashback to Big trouble in little china. Welcome to OSW, please make yourself at home.
LOL, my favourite scene was in the sewers and Egg Shen throws a bomb at that weird bug thing that grabs a guy out of a hole.

Egg: "You come out no more!"

Jack: "WHAT?!? WHAT COME OUT NO MORE!?!"

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's an awesome collection and it's great to see it all in one place.

I have one of the Sonny Chiba / Hattori Hanzo figures. It's one of my 1/6th Collection treasures. Unfortunately, mine if missing the kabutowari (the jutte-like, dagger thingy).

The Alfrex figures were really well detailed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts