One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Stonewall Jackson
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rare thing, I am going to post a Yankee nay......two Yankees. For Rhonda it's her first two.......and for me it's only my second and third.
So the two Yankees are shown with Civil War Drums 'representing' the US REGULAR EAGLE drum and the other is the IRISH BRIGADE.

"The outbreak of the Civil War created an enormous demand for percussion instruments. Ordnance Department records indicate that the US Army purchased over 32,000 drums from April 1861 through December 1865. Many government and state contracts did not specify exact dimensions or designs for drums. The result was wide variances in size and dimension. It is not uncommon to find Civil War era snare drums whose shells were not cut down (after initial manufacture) made by the same maker but of different dimensions."

"Each company in an infantry regiment had a musician who was usually a drummer. They were relied upon to play drum beats to call the soldiers into formation and for other events. Drums got the soldiers up in the morning, signaled them to report for morning roll call, sick call, and guard duty. Drummers also played at night to signal lights out or "taps". The most important use of drums was on the battlefield where they were used to communicate orders from the commanding officers and signal troop movement. Civil War drums were made of wood that had been cut into thin layers, steamed, and formed into a round shell. The outside of a Union drum was often painted and featured a large eagle displaying its wings with the stars and stripes flowing around it."

Till the long roll summons us to Battle.
&
Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy.....​

See these drums and many more on the OSW Store page

Attachments

·
1:6 Nam Nut
872 Posts
was the irish brigade made up of mostly irish immigrants? were they straight off the boat or famine immigrants from the 1845-1850 period? most born in ireland? catholic or scoth irish?

thanks if you can help stonewall.

·
Registered
936 Posts
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
Very nice , it's a beautiful work and excellent idea , a lot of congratulations

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.