One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know if 84 charlie mopic movie has come out on dvd here in the states yet? Ive been trying to get this movie for over a year and still no luck. ive tried ebay but they have used copies on vhs tapes, and im not taking my chances with that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
WORST VIETNAM MOVIE EVER NEXT TO ATTACK ON FIREBASE GLORIA!!!!
Complete Rubish!!!
don't waste your money!!
Some damn Marine non airborne non lrrp was the Tech advisor, and had the movie been about Marines in the bush great, but it was about an Army Lrrp team, shot in cali which looks nothing like Vietnam, in all badged out tigers!! CRAP, I sat through it and counted over 100 flwas!!!!
Nuff said!

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
seeing this is a film thing, can anyone help he with a film i watched when i was a kid. The title was something like ' down in Nam' or 'Downed in Vietnam' ??
From what i can remember it's about a hippie style medic that turns into a Rambo style Grunt. I watched while i was on Holiday in Benidorm Spain. I believe the was banned from what i've been told from showing alot of secret stuff ???

Last time i saw it was 17 years ago so who knows :erm

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
plus another good one , The Boys Of CO. C . It had R. Lee Ermey as the tough marine drill instructor. I remember watching that one when I was a kid. Its one of the films that pulled me over the OD side.

·
1/6 24/7!
1,253 Posts
plus another good one , The Boys Of CO. C . It had R. Lee Ermey as the tough marine drill instructor. I remember watching that one when I was a kid. Its one of the films that pulled me over the OD side.
Lee Ermey is in the movie "Full Metal Jacket" as drill instructor and he also has little role in "Acoployse Now" as helicopter pilot.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lee Ermey is in the movie "Full Metal Jacket" as drill instructor and he also has little role in "Acoployse Now" as helicopter pilot.
Yeah but he was the drill instructor in Boys of Company C before he done full metal. I think the boys of company c came out in the late 70"s.He was still kinda young in that movie.It looked like most of the film was shot in California and Camp Pendleton.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Seeing as this thread has degenerated into 'B Grade Vietnam flicks', I'll throw 'Platoon Leader' into the hat, starring Michael Dudikoff. It had its moments but there were times when I thought whether to take it seriously or not.

Then of course there's the 'Tour of Duty' series ...

I think 'THE' Vietnam War movie has yet to be made .. it will be no mean feat, given the length and complexity of the conflict. Oliver Stone has already had three attempts at various aspects of it: 'Platoon', 'Born on the Fouth of July' and 'Heaven and Earth'.

Perhaps after 'The Pacific', the Vietnam conflict should be Spielberg and Hanks' next project ...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
WORST VIETNAM MOVIE EVER NEXT TO ATTACK ON FIREBASE GLORIA!!!!
Sure, the movie is 80 % cr*p, but still I've found there are plenty of well seen details.

A friend of mine has just send me a copy of 'The Odd Angry Shot', the Australian movie about a SASR patrol in VN. I have yet to look at it, but I've heard good reviews.

Eric

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heres another vietnam flick, whats the name of the movie where a pilot i believe was captured and was held by the nva or viet cong for a few days . But the movie was generally about the enemy and how they operated. came out late 80's early 90's.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Burt Landcaster Rocks in that movie!!! I remeber seeing while playing hookie when I was a kid, it came on in the middle of the afternoon, way back in the day when you only had 7 channels, AHHHH that really sucked back then!!!
paul

·
I'll Never Buy A Fem Fig!
972 Posts
I know the movie you are talking about. It's "The Iron Triangle" with Beau Bridges.

I would argue with you on "84 Charlie Mopic". To the stitch counters it has plenty of obvious flaws. But all of my Army infantry veteran friends can't watch it because of two things:

1. The camera makes it feel like you are in the movie
2. They said it looks too real

A friend of mine while I was a cadet was the son of a LRRP. His father told him to watch the movie as the best example of his experiences in Vietnam. Maybe they'll make a better LRRP movie but until then, it isn't that bad.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know the movie you are talking about. It's "The Iron Triangle" with Beau Bridges.

I would argue with you on "84 Charlie Mopic". To the stitch counters it has plenty of obvious flaws. But all of my Army infantry veteran friends can't watch it because of two things:

1. The camera makes it feel like you are in the movie
2. They said it looks too real

A friend of mine while I was a cadet was the son of a LRRP. His father told him to watch the movie as the best example of his experiences in Vietnam. Maybe they'll make a better LRRP movie but until then, it isn't that bad.
gotta agree with you, of course theres flaws. like talking the way they were on a lrrp mission. some of the gear they carried. but the camera work was too cool, and the sniper scene gave me chills when that guy got shot over and over and there was nothing they could about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ya know just a thought,,,there has been movies made about almost every aspect of the war,,but yet there are no documenteries or fiction for that fact about SOG,, and seeing at least 75% or more has been declassified,, and the SF is back in the spotlight since Afghanistan started,,, u would think some one would make something,,, the subject matter experts wont be around forever. Just something to ponder,,,

Cheers
Medic!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
MAJOR FLAW with 84 Charlie Mopic,,,,
No One on a patrol would use the the speaker on the PRC 25 (77 Set in Canada ),,unless u wanted to get ur a,, greased,,, the tech advisor to the movie should have known that.But i'll reason he did and the movie director got his way in the end.

Cheers
Medic!!

·
GETCHA PULL!!!
809 Posts
There are things I like about 84C and a lot of things I don't. For sentimental reasons, I bought a copy from eBay.
The most vivid memory of this movie comes in the form of my friend and I walking into his house from high school and seeing his step dad watching the ambush scene. Right when they started shooting we were like "what the hell is this movie??" His step dad (who was born in germany and was a sergeant in the National Guard) said in his thick accent "oh, it's some real footage of a LRRP team in Vietnam." We were hooked....until the end when the credits started rolling--lol.
Of course this was '89 or '90, pre-Richard Brooks fame.

And speaking of Vietnam stinkers, let's not forget War Bus Commando!!

CLASSIC!!!:thumb

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.