One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Re: How are grenades worn on equipment?

The spoons are either slide into an open metal fastener, through straps, or held by a small piece of canvas on the M1956 Universal Ammunition Pouch. And yes, Soldiers and Marines of today still do the same thing with smoke grenades but not so much on the Frags.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts

One of our members here related several hairy incidents with grenades hung on gear. Not a big fan of exposed frags.

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts

I remember my dad saying (WWII) they carried grenades up high on the chest.If you wore them at the belt line, when you hit the ground, it would be like landing on rocks.
Very painful.

·
Hellsing Org. Mercenary
3,290 Posts

Best to wear them covered if you're going for a tactical realistic look. But if it's for fictional purposes, it looks awesome with grenades exposed. :D

Anyway, to those in field or had served in the field, what are the odds of an enemy sniper hitting a soldier's worn exposed grenade and vice-versa? I wondering, because I play a lot of "Elite Sniper V2" the PC game. And my favorite spot to hit an enemy is their exposed grenade worn below the belt for a mass kill of enemies. But since it's a video game, it's easy to pull it off, but I always wondered if in reality, how difficult would it be.....

·
God Bless America
1,529 Posts

....Anyway, to those in field or had served in the field, what are the odds of an enemy sniper hitting a soldier's worn exposed grenade and vice-versa? I wondering, because I play a lot of "Elite Sniper V2" the PC game. And my favorite spot to hit an enemy is their exposed grenade worn below the belt for a mass kill of enemies. But since it's a video game, it's easy to pull it off, but I always wondered if in reality, how difficult would it be.....

In Vietnam, a sailor on a patrol boat had his hand back near his head, about to throw a WP (White Phosphorous or incendiary) grenade when a sniper shot through his hand and hit the grenade. It exploded and he was burned over most of his body. He survived and lives to this day. (Google "Dave Roever" for more information) Was the sniper actually aiming for the grenade or was it just a fluke, one-in-a-million shot? Nobody knows.
So yes, it is possible, but it would be a VARY hard shot, and with no guarantee it would set off the grenade.

As for the topic of the thread, I've read that some guys secure them with tape and some guys just tape the pins.

·
Banned
3,778 Posts

In Vietnam, a sailor on a patrol boat had his hand back near his head, about to throw a WP (White Phosphorous or incendiary) grenade when a sniper shot through his hand and hit the grenade. It exploded and he was burned over most of his body. He survived and lives to this day. (Google "Dave Roever" for more information) Was the sniper actually aiming for the grenade or was it just a fluke, one-in-a-million shot? Nobody knows.
So yes, it is possible, but it would be a VARY hard shot, and with no guarantee it would set off the grenade.

As for the topic of the thread, I've read that some guys secure them with tape and some guys just tape the pins.
That's an awesome story.

:thanks

·
Uncle Sam's Trunk Monkey
873 Posts

I "hid" my frags in a pouch on my belt, it hovered over my back pocket of my ACU's. A Iraq Army guy had one on the front of his vest, it got hit and didnt end well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts