One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, like everybody who does 1/6, I wanted to do an Airborne figure, but not necessarily the same 101st or 82nd that seem to be the most popular, so I found the 509th Airborne. The 509th conducted the first combat drops of the US Army in Algeria in 1942 as part of Operation Torch.

The figure was done as follows:
Helmet, rifle, pistol, bags, water bottle, bayonet, belt, grenades and shovel: DID Ross
Combat Knife: Dragon, Added grooves and repainted
Head: Tony Barton
Uniform and boots: Newline
Harness and bandolier: BeCom
Rigger pouches: HankCo
Helmet cover and rank: BattleGear Toys
Flag: Printed on cotton paper

Thanks go to Chuck Pasquinelli of the 509th Reenactment Group for valuable input.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looks great. As you mentioned you don't see too many bashes of early war Paratroopers.

2 comments though. If he's supposed to be from that period, you need to replace the folding shovel with a T-handle. The folding shovel didn't come out until late '43. Also, the Sgt. chevrons (which should be on both sleeves) are upside down.

-JOSH

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks great. As you mentioned you don't see too many bashes of early war Paratroopers.

2 comments though. If he's supposed to be from that period, you need to replace the folding shovel with a T-handle. The folding shovel didn't come out until late '43. Also, the Sgt. chevrons (which should be on both sleeves) are upside down.

-JOSH
Doh! I knew they were supposed to be the other way round, even had the blinkin' website in front of me. Had to rush off to a business meeting this morning and just stuck it on without thinking. At least we have a new benchmark for "[email protected]$$" now...

:O

·
Registered
743 Posts
Nice figure, especially the weathering. Not sure if its the same unit, but the 1-509 Abn serves as OPFOR for joint readiness training center (JRTC) at Ft Polk, LA...just a little tidbit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts