One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most recent version at the bottom of the thread.

Sergeant Stevenson represents a Rifleman from the 5th Battalion, 60th Regiment of the King's Royal Rifle Corps. Stevenson's origins were similar to many enlisted men of the age. Born in Portsmouth, Stevenson was uneducated, underfed, and unemployed. In 1797 he foolishly took the King's shilling in the belief that he could escape his poverty, and joined the new 5th Battalion of the 60th "Royal American" Regiment. He was at least partially successful. In time, he learned enough letters to spell his men's names, and he was able to suppress his more sadistic tendencies through a combination of religion and military discipline. Some would still describe Stevenson's standards as "ruthless," but by the time his unit landed on the Iberian Peninsula Stevenson had over a decade of military experience and knew that discipline is all that keeps him and his men alive.

The 60th Regiment is not as famous as their younger siblings, the 95th, but they 5th Battalion was actually the first to be equipped solely with Baker rifles and would go on to fight in many of the same battles. While later Rifle Battalions adopted the same green trousers as the 95th, the 5/60th retained their blue-and-red pants. In other respects, Sergeant Stevenson's equipment is similar to any other British rifleman: A cartridge box, sword bayonet, Baker Rifle, and canteen. He would also carry a haversack and pack, although these aren't depicted in these pictures.

I made Sergeant Stevenson using DID's 95th Rifleman "Dick" figure. They are rare, but still show up on Ebay now and then. I already had a 95th Officer and wanted to do something kind of different, so I switched the facings to red and added a sash. I confess that the little shoulder decorations are not perfect and need to be re-done. Stevenson has pre-emptively sewn leather patches on his knees.

The head sculpt is from VTS "Revenger" figure, with some touch-up paint on the shadows, highlights, and stubble. I am very happy with the eye patch. The blue pants are from ITPT's "Canadian Military Cadet." I honestly can't remember where I got the pipe. It was sold loose on Toy Anxiety. The buttons on his gaiters and shoulderboards are 4mm steel earring posts, and the Light Infantry "bugle" badge is from Tony Barton.

·
Celer et Audax
397 Posts
Re: 5/60th "Royal Americans" Rifle Sergeant

Very nice indeed........love it!

The campfire pic is awesome..... I can hear him singing Allouette from here!

·
Registered
5,216 Posts

BEAUTIFUL work, SoloSam!

Also appreciated is the little bit of history on the subject... Thanx!

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts

This is a very nicely done figure. Great headsculpt choice too

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts

What a great figure! Excellent work, the HS and eye-patch are perfect, and some very interesting history.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,538 Posts
Re: 5/60th "Royal Americans" Rifle Sergeant (Updated - 1 New Pic)

Great work and background info. Ironic that you're using Ray Stevenson's sculpt For a character called Stevenson, or did you just name him after Ray?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Great work and background info. Ironic that you're using Ray Stevenson's sculpt For a character called Stevenson, or did you just name him after Ray?
Yeah, I figure most of the decent head sculpts are actors' likenesses so just name them after whatever movie star I lifted the sculpt from. Helps keep it straight in my head that way.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts

I like that you fleshed out the story of the Rifles a bit more, usually the stuff of historians and gamers. A rough bunch, these men, but deadly on the field of battle.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

well done:thumb

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I am also very unhappy with the pipe. It looks very plain and fake, like he's holding a Lego piece or something. Does anyone know of an alternative, or have any advice on how I could improve it?

·
retired firefighter
2,783 Posts

great work, love figures with history behind them

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: 5/60th "Royal Americans" Rifle Sergeant (Updated with several fixes)

Okay, I wasn't happy with this one and I had to take another swing at it. I added the missing haversack and gave him a better pipe. This pipe belonged to "Spade" from Gangster Kingdom. I also fixed the epaulettes. My kinda-sorta-not-really pom-pom things looked like garbage... I think this version is 100% better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts