One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
If only I slept...
276 Posts
Re: 4dEFCON's Head Painting Tutorial - WIP + Mini Competition!

Just a quick question, If the sculpt is an unpainted resin head do I need to prepare it (i.e. Cleaner or primer) before painting?

Thanks.
Great tutorial by the way!

·
Registered
708 Posts

One question, is the matte spray you're using lacquer based?

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

Just a quick question, If the sculpt is an unpainted resin head do I need to prepare it (i.e. Cleaner or primer) before painting?

Thanks.
Great tutorial by the way!
Thanks! No you should be able to paint straight onto it. I'd probably give it a bit of a wash in warm soapy water and rinse to make sure there is no release agent still on it. Might be worth a quick spray with the matt varnish first as it stops the paint from instantly pooling on the smooth finish.

One question, is the matte spray you're using lacquer based?
I believe so. Put it this way, you need to spray it in a well ventilated area and would advise against having any open flames whilst doing it! :)

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

That said, I had paint lift on me when painting a resin head, I primed it and it didn't happen. I had some old primer left over that was still good after nearly 20 years. It was matt grey with copious amounts of matt varnish mixed in. It still gives a great finish even now.

CHEERS!

·
AK fanatic
885 Posts

Man, that looks nice! Definitely the right one :cheers

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

Very nicely done indeed,

I really like the idea of using washes for the hair, that was one I hadn't thought of.

It'd be nice to see either a daylight or studio shot of the finished head as the workbench lighting doesn't really bring out the subtleties of the paintwork.

CHEERS!

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

At the request of Roger, here are some better shots taken with my more expensive camera in better lighting (the tutorial was done with my cheap point and shoot, in case of a paint accident!)... Cheers.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Wow, looks really good with the better camera! The improvements really shine, funny how often quite good sculpts are ruined by poor paint jobs!

·
Registered
631 Posts

I'm watching for that final edit into a single post, so this can be printed as a pdf for future easy reference. Thank you!

[Please do not include me in the drawing; I'm already equipped -- beautiful idea to help someone get a leg up!]

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts

Wow, mate that is awesome! You have really given this HS a whole new life. The skin tones really show up well in these shots. Great tip on dabbing the varnish on to add texture - I never would have thought of that.

A quick question though: I notice that you do not apply any highlights to places like the nose, ears or other prominent parts of the face, or even to his hair for that matter - is there a reason for this? Not that it is lacking as it is.

Great job and thanks for the tutorial.

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

turkeyshot said:
A quick question though: I notice that you do not apply any highlights to places like the nose, ears or other prominent parts of the face, or even to his hair for that matter - is there a reason for this? Not that it is lacking as it is.
I do indeed highlight the nose and the ears, check out the 'shading map', although I admit, I didn't draw on it the ear lobes! I'll make sure that is in the final edit :)

Cheers dude!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

Thanks for the pics,

That head really pops now, well done!

CHEERS!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

Wow. I'm not sure what else to say, except Thank You!!! This is an awesome, awesome tutorial!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts