One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts
Re: 4dEFCON's Head Painting Tutorial - WIP + Mini Competition!

Thanks dude, have you got round to using your Airbrush yet?! ;)
Not yet (still spraypainting), but I've got a project I'll be using it on this week ^_^
Spray-paint messes up some fun foam I use for chopper insulation, this will help me do up the walls on a commission I took.

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Not yet (still spraypainting), but I've got a project I'll be using it on this week ^_^
Spray-paint messes up some fun foam I use for chopper insulation, this will help me do up the walls on a commission I took.
yeah those spray paints will melt the foam... you'll be ok with acrylics from the airbrush, but be careful with any spray varnish as thay might melt it too!

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts

yeah those spray paints will melt the foam... you'll be ok with acrylics from the airbrush, but be careful with any spray varnish as thay might melt it too!
Nah, it's just straight up acrylics. I used to paint it on when doing my first versions, but it came out splotchy. This should help that IMMENSELY.

·
Will Design For 1:6
1,385 Posts

:D I too suck at painting the eyes, I either use playdoh or the handy tak to cover off parts i don't want to ruin. Aside from covering the eyes, playdoh or the tak will be useful covering beards on sculpt. Great tutorial :thumb

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

This is a great tutorial,

Nice idea with the clothes pegs, I use Vallejo bottles and Tamiya pots depending on the type of head I'm doing. The blu tack tip for the eyes was exactly what I did on my zombies, though I misted them with a wash of Vallejo Light Flesh for that zombie look.

The pastel shades are exactly what I use too, it's going to be so interesting following this.

CHEERS!

PS (How are you uploading the pics!? There's nothing worse than archiving a tutorial and finding the pics are gone when you refer back to it. This happened to Boot25's one, such a loss as that tutorial used to be my bible.)

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Thanks Roger! Don't worry, I rent my own web-server and the pictures are currently hosted under my onesixthscale domain so they're not going anywhere. For the forum i've used scaled down versions, when I write this article up in full for my website they will be large sized zoomable - I'll publish the link to that when it's done so people can bookmark etc..

Steve.

·
Top Shelf & to the Front
868 Posts

Great tutorial. I've always wished I could paint headsculpts. Very inspiring....

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

Thanks Roger! Don't worry, I rent my own web-server and the pictures are currently hosted under my onesixthscale domain so they're not going anywhere. For the forum i've used scaled down versions, when I write this article up in full for my website they will be large sized zoomable - I'll publish the link to that when it's done so people can bookmark etc..

Steve.
Yay,

This'll be one folk will want to keep coming back to.

CHEERS!

G

·

Brilliant tutorial so far! Where did you buy your compressor by the way? I think I can budget for one this month.

Thanks, Peter.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts

Yep, brilliant tutorial so far... and bookmarked too of course! :bravo

...now I could use something similar about casting!

·
AK fanatic
885 Posts

This is such an excellent tutorial. Re-painting HS's is something I really want to learn how to do. I have subscribed to this thread!

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

Brilliant tutorial so far! Where did you buy your compressor by the way? I think I can budget for one this month.

Thanks, Peter.
Hi Peter,

Do you know I honestly can't remember. I've searched though old emails but can't seem to find any order confirmation. The model is the AS-18, if you do a quick search, prices seem to vary from £48 to £59... here is an amazon UK link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiltec-Airbrush-Mini-Compressor-model-AS18-2/dp/B004BDBVZ0

Hope that helps.

Steve.

·
fortuna favet fortibus
2,290 Posts

This is just great...will buy my airbrush and compressor when I get the funds...

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

Nice, and there are still bits you can follow even if you don't airbrush.

CHEERS!

·
Super mega jedi ninja
1,510 Posts

Defo need to get some pastels and spray seal.

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

Nice, and there are still bits you can follow even if you don't airbrush.

CHEERS!
Roger is quite right. You can still use these techniques without an Airbrush, just apply a wash of the paint colours with a large brush, and it's important to keep it moving and change direction frequently to avoid build up of obvious brush strokes, but it can work.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts