One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 3D designer by trade and hobby. I have a few questions about wants and needs.

1. I use Shapeways for printing masters for molding and use the "Ultra Frost Detail" but the stuff is too pricey for most.

2. Shapeways Tough a White material is cheap but grainy and much fine detail is lost.

So my question is which materials are prefered?

Drawing for Ultra Frost is time consuming to get in all the details. If the majority order in the cheap material, there is no need to make it a higly detailed model. As a matter of fact for the cheap stuff, it can be drawn in a way to make it look sharper and cleaner by ommiting some detail while enhancing ones that will show.

So PLEASE chime in and give an opinion.

I would really like to know because I seen on another thread several request and will use the example of the chainsaw request. If drawn for cheap white, it would ony take maybe two hours to draw. If drawn for for the "Ultra Frost Detail" material it would take about 12 hours..

I see a lot of guns and other things on the board printed in cheap material.
Were you OK with the results?
Would you order other guns or objects in the same material again?

Thanks A Million guys!

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
You ask some interesting questions, especially at a time when 3D printing is coming of age.

Detail vs Cost is the real question. No doubt that everyone wants the most detail you can get, but most do not want to pay for it. They want champagne at beer price.

A lot also depends on what it is you are printing.

A beer can for instance (I seen them on the shapeways site) does not need to be as detailed as say an M16 or other weapon.

In the end the price of an item, regardless of the detail, will dictate what will sell and what won't.

Personally I would prefer a good looking easily recognizable item at a cheap price, then a super detail item that costs a lot more and looks the same from 2 feet away. But that's me....:thumb

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You ask some interesting questions, especially at a time when 3D printing is coming of age.

Detail vs Cost is the real question. No doubt that everyone wants the most detail you can get, but most do not want to pay for it. They want champagne at beer price.

A lot also depends on what it is you are printing.

A beer can for instance (I seen them on the shapeways site) does not need to be as detailed as say an M16 or other weapon.

In the end the price of an item, regardless of the detail, will dictate what will sell and what won't.

Personally I would prefer a good looking easily recognizable item at a cheap price, then a super detail item that costs a lot more and looks the same from 2 feet away. But that's me....:thumb
Just curious? So you noticed my 6 pack of beer cans for $8.23 in white plastic; did you think that was a fair price? My markup is $2 above what Shapeways gets off the top.

I am just trying to get my head around what people want and what is a fair price.

Thanks for your help!

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
I was poking around and honesty didn't even look at the prices. :bag

At $8.23 for a 6 pack seems reasonable to me, if the detail is there. Meaning it looks like a beer can and is the correct scale.

These here are a little more money, and you only get one can and one glass, but they come colored and look like the real thing...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Barbie-GI-Jo...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item5afa377cef

The issue some might have with your "cans or Bottles" is labels or coloring them.

I have to ask, does shapeways take paypal?

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was poking around and honesty didn't even look at the prices. :bag

At $8.23 for a 6 pack seems reasonable to me, if the detail is there. Meaning it looks like a beer can and is the correct scale.

These here are a little more money, and you only get one can and one glass, but they come colored and look like the real thing...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Barbie-GI-Jo...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item5afa377cef

The issue some might have with your "cans or Bottles" is labels or coloring them.

I have to ask, does shapeways take paypal?
All of my items have been scaled after real 1:1 items whenever possible. Detail will only be limited by material choosen for print. The lowest cost material is White, it has a slight texture to it but for something like beer cans it would be fine.

I just read their FAQ section, they accept PayPal:applause

·
Registered
743 Posts
3D printing will be the rebirth of the niche marketplace and customizers. There is an endless list of what people will want, and the prices will be dictated by quality. There are a lot of simple items than can be low detail like a computer and monitor or a food container, but I think more will be toward detailed items that are hard to scratch build due to shape, size or complexity.

I'll give you an example, I would love to have an engine for a M4 High Speed Tractor, it doesn't need to be super detailed but it does have some complexity and would have to be made of several components (fan assembly, engine block etc).

I have no idea what it would cost to print in 3D but it can't exceed the cost of the rest of the project.....so it all depends on what the hobby community can afford. Some can afford the high end parts, most can't, so price really drives demand in the hobby.

Attachments

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3D printing will be the rebirth of the niche marketplace and customizers. There is an endless list of what people will want, and the prices will be dictated by quality. There are a lot of simple items than can be low detail like a computer and monitor or a food container, but I think more will be toward detailed items that are hard to scratch build due to shape, size or complexity.

I'll give you an example, I would love to have an engine for a M4 High Speed Tractor, it doesn't need to be super detailed but it does have some complexity and would have to be made of several components (fan assembly, engine block etc).

I have no idea what it would cost to print in 3D but it can't exceed the cost of the rest of the project.....so it all depends on what the hobby community can afford. Some can afford the high end parts, most can't, so price really drives demand in the hobby.
Is the pic in the body already to one sixth scale?

I have been having an itch to do an engine but would need some deminsions to work with. If you interested in a collaboritve project shoot me a PM with your email and lets see what we can do for ya:)

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
I have no idea what it would cost to print in 3D but it can't exceed the cost of the rest of the project.....
That has always been the problem in another hobby...model railroading. The manufacturers would produce a "generic" locomotive, but by the time all the detail parts needed to bring it up to prototypical standards were purchased, the cost of those parts would exceed the cost of the locomotive....

So, don't look for 3D prinint to be the saviour as far as costs go.....at least, not yet......

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts

·
BAMF
915 Posts
Cad_Rat I can't seem to PM you so I'll have to show you the pics here.

If you google image search "tomb raider ice axe" you'll find all the reference you need.

A Tomb Raider Bow and arrows would be cool too ;)

·
Procastinatus Excelentus
1,226 Posts
Hey man, FWIW Foster Ultra detail could be overkill on some items, like the cans.

Full rifles are indeed in the FUD zone, same with mags, specially since the detail of the rails can be off in some cases.

BTW, what are the chances that you make some PMAG 40's?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts