One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also they may look a little rough but they are really not that bad there are some artifacts left over from printing and from the supports, but the camera really brought out the printing lines as they are unpainted.
Just needs a little filing. Will post more prints later so expect some cool things!!

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
Nice work and thanks for posting your prints. We don't see near enough 3D printed items here. I've seen the same rough effect when photographing 3d prints from Shapeways. After sanding and painting, they look just fine to the naked eye but all of the nearly invisible flaws show up when photographed. That was quite some time ago and with models printed using Shapeways' most inexpensive material (white strong flexible) at the time. Are you using an FDM or SLA printer? I just ordered an Elegoo Mars 2 a few days ago and I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for looking and commenting. It's a FDM printer it's the Creality cr-10. That so Cool!! Have fun with the printer. I see it's a SLA printer, there's a guy on here that makes 1/6th military Equipment and weapons with resin printers his name is dudulle.69. So if you are planning on doing anything like that he might be able to help you.

·
2,052 Posts
You're certainly welcome. I don't know a lot about 3D printing yet but I figured that they were probably FDM prints because I've read that the faint lines are a product of the printing process of FDM printers. I've seen some very good looking FDM prints but I went for the SLA printer because even though they are messier, apparently have a bit of a steeper learning curve and the consumables are more expensive, I really want the crispness and detail that resin printing can provide. I am curious about your models. Did you model them yourself or did you download free or purchased ones? I don't know much about 3D modeling but I hope to at least gain the knowledge to manipulate free or purchased models to make them printable.

I actually bought my printer directly from Elegoo on AliExpress and I was impressed by the lower price vs buying from Amazon . Even though I just ordered it right before New Years day, it has already shipped. The printer with tax, free shipping and a $4 off coupon came to just $231.02. I very much like that because as far as technical hobbies go, it's not an unreasonably steep entry cost. I still have a few other items to purchase such as resin and a few accessories but all in all, I'm not too disappointed by the cost considering some boxed figures are now approaching the price of the printer alone. I'm hoping to eventually use it to save some money by cutting back on purchasing things like weapons, helmets and other hardline items that are continuously rising in price. Hobbyists such as myself on a modest budget are going to have to do things like turn to 3D printing if we're going to stay in the hobby or we will otherwise be priced out.

I'm familiar with the work of dudulle.69 both here and on Facebook as he's on my friends list there. His Mas 49/56 looks excellent and I'm probably going to have to purchase one as I doubt that I will have the skills to print anything like that anytime soon and the Foreign Legion in the Algerian war of the 1950s and early 1960s is an interest of mine. I've had most of the gear I need to bash the figure I want for quite come time now but the rifle was a sorely missing piece.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a site that that you can get some 3d models for free but you are going to need to scale them down and maybe need to do some modelling on them Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects
and yes I have made my own models. I even made an enigma machine (I can get pictures of it if you want?)
There are 3 free programs you can use to make your own models.
The first one is Tinker Cad it's a browser/search engine program this i a beginners level one.
The second one is 3d Builder it's by Microsoft and i believe only for windows 10 this and intermediate one it has a slicer feature.
The third one is Blender this a very powerful one and is considered expert level as it has many features and functions.

Good luck on the printer and 3d printing, I hope you learn a lot and I hope it goes great.
Yeah the pricing for the Figures and accessories have gotten ridiculous for me as well.

I am thinking about starting a 1/6th scale 3d printed accessory business on eBay in couple of weeks to a month if you are interested? I just need to print some more products and make some adjustments and changes to my account as I already have an eBay membership. I'll sell the printed models unpainted. That way people can customize and paint the models that I have printed without having to ruin any paint schemes if I were to sell them painted. That way they could also paint cheaper models that I have printed and see what they like, instead of doing it and possibly ruining it on their more expensive and name brand ones.

Yeah he does many great pieces and he does seem to know his stuff.

Out of curiosity what accessories and/or guns would you like to see in 1/6th action figure scale?

Also have you heard that Dragon might bring back their action figure line this year?

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts
i heard about dragon...they are releasing some stuff, though it's just more WWII stuff, and nothing new as of yet. i was hoping we'd see a new figure or figure accessory set. even if it was reissue, did it have to be their WWII stuff? they had some decent modern weapons, and some of their gear like lc2 was pretty good. they could stand to have new figures with updated toolings/quality standards. sadly i don't see it happening unless DML can get a high volume run of something. i don't see them going in the direction of damtoys or soldier story. maybe they are short money, or they aren't telling us they do have a new figure on the way. the economy might have scared them too. as for what acessories, theres a ton of stuff we still don't have or havent gotten much of. i could go on, but smart tech (phones/laptops/tablets) non tactical glasses, wallets, food items/drink bottles, non combat headwear (we have some hats but not much) and of course a cubicle set. the cubicle is something we've yet to see from anyone, even as a ken/barbie set. i'm surprised with how often they, and desks are in movies/shows that we've never gotten any. office space, the matrix, the office, the wolf of wallstreet and more have all had some form of desk/cubicle i just want something that isn't Iron Man or WWII related. just a simple modern desk. even a plastic one with simple drawers. doesn't need alot of detail, just make it a wood looking or metal looking desk.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have made a tablet computer I am in the process of making a camera but it's not yet as well as an accordion. and I have made canned food pots and pans and alcohol and medicine bottles.
I have also made jam jars, vinyl records, milk/juice cartons and bowl full of stew and some other things that are more military related.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hello
I see that 3D printing is developing and that's great.
This allows you to create models that do not exist or that no longer exist at 1/6.
For my part, the models that I print are files that I create myself or that I download (paid or free) but that I have to modify, because often these are files intended for 3D animation.
For small equipment, I use two resin printers, Elegoo Mars and Elegoo Saturn. I have an FDM printer that I print larger objects with and will try vehicle printing soon (dodge wc54)
It takes a bit of learning, but it's within the grasp of a lot of people.
I decided to open a small online store to sell some of the parts that I print. This is not to get rich, but to finance future projects.

·
2,052 Posts
Here's a site that that you can get some 3d models for free but you are going to need to scale them down and maybe need to do some modelling on them Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects
and yes I have made my own models. I even made an enigma machine (I can get pictures of it if you want?)
There are 3 free programs you can use to make your own models.
The first one is Tinker Cad it's a browser/search engine program this i a beginners level one.
The second one is 3d Builder it's by Microsoft and i believe only for windows 10 this and intermediate one it has a slicer feature.
The third one is Blender this a very powerful one and is considered expert level as it has many features and functions.

Good luck on the printer and 3d printing, I hope you learn a lot and I hope it goes great.
Yeah the pricing for the Figures and accessories have gotten ridiculous for me as well.

I am thinking about starting a 1/6th scale 3d printed accessory business on eBay in couple of weeks to a month if you are interested? I just need to print some more products and make some adjustments and changes to my account as I already have an eBay membership. I'll sell the printed models unpainted. That way people can customize and paint the models that I have printed without having to ruin any paint schemes if I were to sell them painted. That way they could also paint cheaper models that I have printed and see what they like, instead of doing it and possibly ruining it on their more expensive and name brand ones.

Yeah he does many great pieces and he does seem to know his stuff.

Out of curiosity what accessories and/or guns would you like to see in 1/6th action figure scale?

Also have you heard that Dragon might bring back their action figure line this year?
Thanks for the link to Thingiverse. I'm actually familiar with it as well as quite a few other sites. Even many of the ones that sell models also have free ones to download, so I'm going to be quite busy for awhile finding the things I want to print. I also have something in mind that many 3D printing enthusiasts might not have considered and that's video game models. Bohemia Interactive released the models from their Arma 2 game for use by Arma 3 modders and there should be weapon or helmet models in there that can be printed with a bit of work. Going the video game route might not be ideal because some of the details are actually part of the textures rather than the models and they involve proprietary formats that will need to be converted. Fortunately, if a game supports modding, then there are usually tools (plugins) available to import and export models to different modeling programs and adding a few details should be easier than modeling from scratch. Another potential pitfall is that many games also support binarized 3D models, which means that they can't be converted to a useable format without being deformed but there are some games that don't. That's what makes the Arma 2 sample models a good choice. They aren't binarized like the original models are. There are other games that have convertible models as well but I wouldn't print any model obtained from a video game for anything other than personal use, as licensing has to be considered and most have license restrictions that prevent them from being used for commercial purposes.

I currently have Blender installed and have messed around with it a bit to convert a few models to stl format for a friend. I'll take a look at the other two as it sounds like they have some useful features that may come in handy.

As for accessories or weapons, I'm mostly interested in printing stuff that hasn't been done or stuff that has been done but is nearly impossible to find or prohibitively expensive. My primary interests are the Cold War and modern Russian items. Since many loose weapons from the manufacturers are extremely expensive now, such as the DAM AKMS rifle at $60+ on eBay, I'm going to have to learn to print my own or forgo those weapons. I mainly foresee printing helmets and Soviet/Russian and British weapons but will print anything that interests me if I can. Printing weapons is the primary reason I chose an SLA printer.

And yes, I'm familiar with Dragon's return to 1:6. They've already released quite a few sets in their Action Gear line as well as some individual weapons. Unfortunately, I think this is primarily a way for them to generate income but without doing any new molding. So far everything has been WW2 and that doesn't particularly interest me. Not that it's a particularly bad thing as much of that gear is still desirable for some hobbyists. The paint apps on the weapons from the individual weapon sets also look to be much improved. I would be interested if they would release some of their modern gear and weapons though. The British Falklands figures gear and weapons would be nice to see as well as their old M16A1 with 3 prong flash suppressor but unless these "new" releases are very successful I don't see them releasing anything modern or that are actually new items. We shall see.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions and best of luck with your eBay venture.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,080 Posts
Awesome stuff guys.

I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to this end of tech, but it's something that has been interesting to me as a source of upgrading 1:6 vehicles and other bits and parts. Might be time for an older dog to learn new tricks.

·
2,052 Posts
Awesome stuff guys.

I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to this end of tech, but it's something that has been interesting to me as a source of upgrading 1:6 vehicles and other bits and parts. Might be time for an older dog to learn new tricks.
I certainly know the feeling. I'm 55 but I've had an interest in 3D printing since I first read an article about it back in 2007. I've been wanting to get into it ever since and with printers now at an affordable cost, it seemed like the perfect time to dive in and it will hopefully be a way to deal with some of the more frustrating aspects of this hobby. Of course, all hobbies have their frustrating aspects and I'm sure that 3D printing will be no different. I don't know much about it yet (still waiting for my printer to arrive) but be sure to look at build volume and do lots of research. SLA (resin) printers are great for smaller items and can print very fine details but most won't allow for printing some of the larger items that a 1:6 vehicle might need, unless you can print the items in parts and then assemble. There are resin printers that allow much bigger items to be printed than most but the larger the build space, the larger the price tag. FDM printers generally allow for larger items but at a lower detail. Some enthusiasts have both types of printers for just those reasons but it's something that needs researching before any decisions are made.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts