One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,

I haven't posted here for a while. But I thought some of you might be interested in seeing some pics of a 1/6 scale project I'm currently working on.

To cut a long story short, I'm attempting to construct a 1/6 scale diorama of Sherlock Holmes' sitting room (221B Baker Street). I've never attempted anything like this before, so any comments/advise would be greatly appreciated. The following photos are fairly self-explanatory! Hope you enjoy them...

I've decided to make the project as authentic as possible...including 'hardwood' floors with nails, polish, etc. The following photo shows the floor during construction...

Here's a close-up of the finished floor...

After finishing the floor, I made a start on the walls. The diorama is going to have three walls - each of which is hinged at the bottom. This design (hopefully) will allow me take photos from virtually any angle. There will also be a fourth wall, which will be temporary in nature and used only for photo purposes - the plan is to set aside the 4th wall when it finally goes on display.

The following photo shows the project starting to take shape...

(more to follow)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The following photos shows the walls in their normal positions, including some nice 1/6 scale windows I sourced from the web...

Starting to look more like a sitting-room!

Before I can start on the furniture/fittings, I need to finish off a couple of fake internal doors, a fireplace and maybe put some curtains on the windows. The photo below shows the area where the two fake doors will be positioned.

The following photo shows the display with all the walls folded down. You can see the temporary 4th wall at the bottom of the photo (it will be used only for photo purposes, before being set aside later...)

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Marvelous endeavor, the shimmering walls and wood accents on the walls and doors are brilliant. What did you use after staining the wood? Polyurethane to make it shiny?
And the moldings on the base and ceiling are great touches too.

Great job on the windows and wall paper as well, look forward to seeing the sitting room finished. How will you address the fireplace?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Saiko,

After staining the floorboards, I used a product called 'Weatherproof Clear High Gloss Finish' (made by a company called Feast Watson). As you suggested, I think it's very close to a polyurethane. After three coats of the weatherproof, I used some cedar floor polish to 'buff' it up to a nice shine.

"How will you address the fireplace?"

That's a good question! I've decided to scratch-build it, rather than try and source a pre-made one. It'll be off-white in colour and the plan is to have a 'lit' fire or maybe some smouldering embers, etc.

Cheers,
Craig.

·
Français par le sang vers
798 Posts
That is an awesome piece of work and its not even completed yet and it already looks so sweet.. :thumb

Can't wait for the completed dio pics :)

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Beautiful craftsmanship!

PLEASE do a silhouette of Holmes to stand in front of the window - can't remember the name of the story, it was the one where he was being stalked by the guy with the air-rifle.

You could also use it for the other famous Baker Street residents - the SOE (Special Operations Executive), which was later copied by the Americans in their OSS.

http://www.64-baker-street.org/main/index.html

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"please do a silhouette of Holmes to stand in front of the window"

Hey, that's a great idea, ActionMan! :) I can't remember the story name either, but I have recently watched it. I've put it on my to-do list!

Cheers,
Craig.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
"I say Holmes, you've done it again! How do you do it!?"

"Elementary, my dear Watson."

Wouldn't it be nice if someone did figures of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, they would finish this diorama off a treat.

CHEERS!

·
BBi Fanboy
2,210 Posts
Sherlock Holmes and Watson go on a camping trip. After choosing a comfortable camp site, they settle in for the night. A few hours later, Holmes wakes Watson..

Holmes: Watson, tell me what you see.

Watson: Well, I see the constellation of Taurus is low in the southern sky, indicating an early winter. Orion is high in the east, which tells me that this year is halfway through, and the moon is waning gibous, which means the month is nearly over. Why, Holmes, what do you see?

Holmes: Watson, you fool! Someone has stolen our tent!

Jokes aside, that is an awesome project! :thumb

1 - 20 of 22 Posts