One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been a while since I've put any time into the humvee. You can see the previous thread here: Up Armored 21st Century RC Humvee WIP Lots of Pics 12/21 Update

Since then I have started learning CAD and have started working on some parts for the Humvee. I will be 3D printing the parts for it, which will allow for some more accurate and detailed parts.

This is how the Humvee currently sits:

Here is a screenshot of one of the armored doors.

First door prototype:

Reference:
The armor kit is based on the Humvees I used while in the military in 07.

· delusional
1,727 Posts
Very nice work. Please hit me up by messaging me. I did a very similar project on my Hasbro Humvee HMMWV. The parts should be very similar. I could send you my 3d files which you could edit and 3d print.

Mark aka delusional

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
attached the armored doors, lower armor panels, mirrors and snorkel. Still need to finish the small details like bolt heads, and other armor pieces around the doors. After that, ECM antenna, blue force antenna, spare tire carrier, and modified front grill.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, I am looking at your 3D printed parts, and they are smooth as hell. Yet, you use filament extrusion printers. How come they are so smooth? They are supposed to be a bit rough because of the very printing process. Any postprocessing involved to smooth away irregularities?

Thanks,
m.
Believe it or not, I'm using a $200 printer, the Ender 3 Pro. The parts you see (before I painted them) are how they came out of the printer. But right before painting I did give them a very light sanding.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just a quick suggestion. On your snorkel you need to cut the old snorkel top off even with the hood. It looks kind of silly now because it's a snorkel on top of a snorkel.
Mark aka delusional
I ended up removing the material today, designing and printing a recessed base for the hood/snorkel. The new snorkel with bigger dimensions is currently printing and should be on tomorrow.

And here is the new hood base with the old snorkel for reference.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's awesome artkrime! But of all the 3D printers out there why the Ender 3 Pro?
m.
The Ender 3 Pro has one of the biggest communities and following and this provides a large amount of mods and support. For the price ($230), I don't think you can find anything better without jumping up to printers like the Prusa ($750). A buddy of mine purchased a Matter Hackers Pulse DXE ($2,700 printer) and has had nothing but headaches and he's said "how the heck is your $200 printer, printing PLA better than mine" He is still trying to dial it in but the Ender 3 Pro really gives most printers a run for their money.

Here is the updated snorkel that I printed last night.

· Registered
101 Posts
The Ender 3 Pro has one of the biggest communities and following and this provides a large amount of mods and support. For the price ($230), I don't think you can find anything better without jumping up to printers like the Prusa ($750). A buddy of mine purchased a Matter Hackers Pulse DXE ($2,700 printer) and has had nothing but headaches and he's said "how the heck is your $200 printer, printing PLA better than mine" He is still trying to dial it in but the Ender 3 Pro really gives most printers a run for their money.
Oh man, that is one hell of a tip right there.
Noted. Thanks a bunch!
And keep keeping us posted. This is awesome. If only I had the space......!
m.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.