One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that Hasbro will release special 50th anniversary commemorative figures to mark the event?

David

·
IS HE LIVE OR IS HE DEAD?
2,599 Posts
I hope hasbro does something and not Sideshow with their overpriced interpretations.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I hope hasbro does something and not Sideshow with their overpriced interpretations.
I guess the relevant 50th Anniversary for the GI Joe figures Sideshow makes would not be until 2032 based on the 1982 creation of those characters in the Marvel Comic (which originally was going to make them agents of SHIELD) and being made as 3 3/4" toys. Or arguably Sideshow could celebrate their 50th in 2041 which is 50 years after they were first made in 12". The 50th Anniversary in 2014 from 1964 celebrates the creation of the basic army-navy action figures, which is pretty removed from anything Sideshow is involved with.

I think Hasbro will inevitably make something designated 50th Anniversary, but the real question is whether it will just be some niche thing preaching to the choir, for limited release to attendees at JoeCon, or will they try to get something into Target and Walmart and TRU.

For proof that folks at Hasbro still love classic GI Joe, just look at the Adventure Team tributes that they snuck into the Kree-o line - that was a pure labor of love for sure.

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts
Wish I had my old original G.I. Joes. I was 10 at the time and later got rid of all of them.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Let's hope for the best, has to did well with the 40th anniversary line so I don't know why they wouldn't do a 50th.
Actually according to Hasbro the 40th line didn't do that well. That's why they stopped it. The GI Joe club had to release two sets that were already produced but went unreleased because Hasbro pulled the plug. There were plans to continue the sets. The guys involved attribute the failure, in part, to releasing all original sets (rather than interesting sets) at first. So some of the sets didn't have the appeal to consumers and slowed sales. I'd also say that a figure with each set was unnecessary and maybe hindered sales (I think that was the retailers' request, a figure being included with each set).

From what collectors can determine by what's been said by Hasbro, there are no plans on doing anything for the 50th anniversary. But hopefully they will surprise everyone.

Sean

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,970 Posts
First & foremost, I am not a vintage style GI JOE collector or enthusiast, but I do appreciate & respect the vintage style sets from days gone by as well the reproduction sets because those offerings set the stage for what it currently the 1:6 hobby we enjoy.

I truly understand the appreciation for nostalgia and the simple, but very enjoyable aesthetics of vintage styled 1:6 offerings given quite a few vintage collectors/enthusiasts I've known & met throughout the years.

I do find it a very disappointing that HASBRO themselves have nothing planned (thus far) for the 50th Anniversary of GI JOE with respect to the 12" figure that started it all. I'll go so far as to say disrespectful.

HASBRO saw the 40th Anniversary offerings as a failure in terms of retail sales, but from my understand they did very mail in terms of online/niche dealers catering to vintage collectors and still do.

I grew up with the 1:18/3.75" GI JOE figures & vehicles and didn't get into 1:6 stuff until much later via 21STCT/THE ULTIMATE SOLDIER that led me to discover & learn about the vintage offerings as well.

I do hope that HASBRO & the official GI JOE Collector's Club will properly honor the 50th Anniversary more so than the current pitiful offering. Personally speaking, I wish HASBRO would simply license out the vintage line to say a company like Cotswold and let them run with it considering Cotswold is still of the best & well known online retailers for repro/vintage GI JOE offerings.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So far the collector's club is only offering a repro Man of Action Adventure Team figure as their "free" figure with paid club membership (which rounds off their line of repro AT hard hand figures). The figure is "free", the outfit and box is sold separately.

While I appreciate any reproduction items hopefully the GI Joe club has something better in store for the 50th anniversary - but if they did they'd have likely announced it already.

Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts