One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Paratus et Fidelis" or "Prepared and Loyal" is the motto of the 4th Cavalry Regiment. The 4th Cavalry Regiment is one of the most famous and most decorated regiments in the United States Army. Since its activation in 1855, the 4th Cavalry has continuously served the United States of America in peace and war. The regiment has fought gallantly in the Indian Wars, the Civil War, the Philippine Insurrection, World War II, Vietnam and the Gulf War. In the Global War on Terrorism all 4th Cavalry active elements have served with distinction in Afghanistan and Iraq. For its wartime service, the 4th Cavalry has been awarded 58 campaign streamers, three Presidential Unit Citations, three Valorous Unit Awards and the French Croix de Guerre with Silver Star.

The 1st Squadron also is known by the nickname "Quarter Horse" or " Quarter Cav" due to the numerical designation.

Weathered with pastels and slight dry brushing of acrylics. The lighting washes out alot of the weathering though, and the breakdown of parts:
TS- uniform , Helmet, LCE, and vest
ACE boots
Dragon body
DID HS & hands

Still have some little touches to finish, but hope you like , and thanks for looking.

·
Who loves ya baby!
7,037 Posts
Looking good BR! Love the weathering and the use of the new Albert Ross hs, and the helmet is just perfect, as is the pose, uni and patches, very well done as always :thumb
How do you like those Ace Boots? I need some for my Nam guys too.
-mike-

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Mike, I have a love hate for the ACE Jungle Boots. They look great off a figure, but kinda funky sometimes on the figure. Especially DML feet, and I have to shave the feet down a bit to get them to fit better.

Rome, the 1/1 pics aren't personal ones, but what I found for ref showing the unit crest being worn on the fatigues as such.

Decided to leave off the U.S Army and name tags, as many of the reference pics I looked at showed this was a common practice.

·
Who loves ya baby!
7,037 Posts
Thanks for the info BR, i have never had to shave the feet down before but now i know that you did i will do the same should i pick those boots up, i wont be happy either if they dont look right on the feet. The look great on your fig tho. Great work BR!
-mike-

·
Registered
335 Posts
Awesome bash here with lots of character. Love the war, weary soldier look...all the details make him outstanding....I especially like the personalized helmet....very nice touch.

·
Lets Go Blues
2,971 Posts
Oh no BR has gone to Nam! Man it looks great, Im hopeing you get your brown water bash figure you did awhile back but this looks really awesome. Love the weathering and the whole setup, nice job!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Outstanding, BR. A great tribute to a great outfit.

I remember "manual simulations" at Ft Riley, where WarPac units pouring onto the German terrain boards got smacked hard, early on. The NCOs running the game would grin and say "The Sov commander just ran into the Quarter Cav..", and we knew the Sovs were in for a bad time.

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PD, yippers, sounds like the stereotypical Cav NCO. Insane, boldly obnoxious and full of piss. :cheers

Quarter Cav at Riley was my first duty station back in the mid 80's. Why I have a love for it.

To answer the questions about the weathering, it was all done using chalk pastels, mainly brushed on, some ground in with my fingers. Then treated to a light coat of generic hairspray to lock it in. Then a light drybrushing with acrylics on edges and seams, which is hard to see in the pics. I also took some fine grade sandpaper to the edges and seams to give some of them the frayed look, mainly on the helmet.

Thanks again fellas :thumb

·
1:6 Nam Nut
872 Posts
wow, glad to see this got bumped...looks really realistic as most of your ref photos of nam grunts are super kitted out but simple and cool like this fig...great work!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.