Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
Franklin's Brigade, Heintzelman's Division,
McDowell's Army of Northeast Virginia
Manassas, Virginia
Battle of Bull Run July 21, 1861

The 1st Minnesota was the first Regiment tendered to the government, April 14, 1861. Organized under first call at Fort Snelling, Minn., and mustered in April 29, 1861, for three months. Reorganized for three years May 10, 1861, to date from April 29, 1861.
It was ordered to Washington, June 14, and participated in the battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861. In that memorable battle the regiment lost one hundred and eighty-nine men. The bravery of its officers and men in that engagement filled the whole country with admiration. Charge after charge was made, and still the Minnesota First stood its ground.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

The bash represents the early uniform used by this regiment as per an image by Don Troiani.

Kepi and havelock from the SS French Legionaire.
The HS is one I had washed and prepared for an earlier project, but had then used another HS, It is a modern figure's HS, not sure which one it wasa.
As I had to use a shirt over another shirt, I decided to use one of my few(maybe my last) "thin torso" body, this one came from the Russian sniper nude figure.
Undershirt(white) is from Soldat001 and red shirt is from BGT. Buttons were removed and replaced and buttonhooles made in their place. The trousers are from the parts box(a Union officer figure I think). Boots are the taller SS boots cut down. These taller boots are narrower at the ankles than the lower SS boots and would therefore fit better inside the narrow trouser legs.
Equipment is SS from parts box, including the waterbottle from bugle figure, replaced the leather strap with Mfisher cloth ribbon.

·
Well Rumpled
1,014 Posts
Another fine bash sir. Always a pleasure to see your work.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
A distinctive and practical (other than easily seen) uniform, and well rendered here. You certainly made the SST kepi and havelock look good.

·
OSW Trade Police (Retired)
11,749 Posts
Excellent rendition. It's interesting that uniforms in First Manassas were pretty much a come-as-you-are party. Each State, each Regiment, wearing their own distinctive uniform with no thought to conformity. It really took Little Mac to standardize the US Army.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts