One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
At last! It was going to happen some day....glad it's finally happening this year!

:thumb

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
I'm excited it's finally happening. It's been a long time in coming.

However, before we get too worked up, keep in mind Warner Bros' modus operandi. They'll release the first season in two sets with six months in between. Second season the same way 10 months later and so on. Don't plan on seeing the final season until 2017, in all likelihood. There were only three seasons.

And, there's no guarantee they'll remaster the video, either. On some stuff they do, on others they don't...and it shows.

I recorded it to hard-drive (Hauppauge capture card which captures directly to DVD quality MPEG2 files) off of TV in rerun on some obscure channel about five or six years ago, hacked out all the commercials (episodes were uncut), put them in correct running order and burned to DVD. In the process, I found an unaired episode that featured the origin of Batgirl and starred an overly cheesy villain named Moth-man (video quality on that episode is horrendous), or some such and the Batman Movie. The Batgirl episode was soooo bad. It's no wonder it was not aired.

I had to do very little post processing to the captured episodes (a tweak of sharpening and line enhancement) as quality was pretty nice; certainly better that what we'd have seen in the 60s given television equipment technology then. I'm happy with my set, so I probably won't be purchasing this unless they remaster.

Another tidbit of advice, if I may. The tenancy for some might be to jump on parts of the series as soon as they're released. If you just can't wait, by all means, do so. But, given that some of us have waited 40 years for this, wait another six months or so after release and visit your local Movie Stop. You'll be able to pick up the latest release in fine, used condition for a third of the price.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Don't buy it, it's bootlegged. For one thing, the website states the the video quality is 720p, whereas a genuine release of the series on Blu-ray would be 1080p. Someone needs to inform DC and Warner about this.

David
Absolutely correct.

They put them on Blu-Ray discs to squeeze the whole series onto six discs.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts
Hate to say how old I am, but we would go to my buddy's grandmother's house to see "Batman" in color! She was the only one on the block to have a color t.v.!
We had to sit on the floor, not on the furniture(all covered in clear plastic) and not eat or drink so that we would not mess up her all white wall to wall rugs!
The only Batman for me is Adam West and Burt Ward as Robin. The only Bat Mobile is the one made by
George Barris.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Here's a little Batman TV show trivia you may not know: George Barris was not the person originally hired to build the Batmobile. Noted car customizer Dean Jeffries was contracted by Greenway Productions to build the Batmobile in late 1965, using a 1959 Cadillac as the basis. He was originally given 5 months to complete the car. The TV series was originally supposed to premiere in September of 1966, but ABC suddenly decided to move it up to January of '66. Jeffries was part way through the conversion when Greenway asked if he could complete the car in less than a month; he said, no, it couldn't be done. So Greenway paid Jeffries and went looking elsewhere and landed on George Barris, who happened to have the old Lincoln Futura show car, which became the Batmobile we all know and love.

Greenway and Jeffries did work together again; he built the Black Beauty for the Green Hornet TV series about a year later, using a Chrysler Imperial.

I got this info from a book on the Green Hornet TV series and confirmed it in a phone call to Jeffries many years ago. He gave some interesting details about what his version of the Batmobile would have looked like. Jeffries died last May at the age of 80. He was a very nice guy; I talked to him on the phone a few times and he always took the time to answer questions, no matter how busy he may have been.

David

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts
Actually saw the original Bat mobile at Universal Studios in Hollywood, Barris's studio is (was) right across the Hollywood freeway.
It was one used in the series. It was so beat up, and the interior was all made up of odds and ends but they looked good on t.v.
Can't get into the modern Batmobile ,it just ain't the same!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts