One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Hobby Military Advisor
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I recently got inspired to do some 30s pulp era style Adventurer/explorer kitbash or something Dieselpunk, taking inspiration from stuff like "Hollow Earth Expedition" RPG, Indiana Jones, the Brandon Fraser "The Mummy" movies and the like and was wondering where I could find proper clothing and gear for this (weapons are less of a problem expect maybe the early M1918 BAR), any tips/suggestions?

· Hobby Military Advisor
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah I checked BGT and they have indeed good stuff, but I still would nee d to find decent civilian backpacks fitting that era and civilian clothing and such. I mean if I would say, replicate the crew of the 2005 King Kong movie, what would I need for that?

· Hobby Military Advisor
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, guess I am asking the wrong questions I guess or I guess the topic is just too out of the ordinary?

· volunteercontentprovider
2,832 Posts
Hmm, guess I am asking the wrong questions I guess or I guess the topic is just too out of the ordinary?
Well, I didn't see King Kong 2008, and a quick Google search is only turning up pix of the ape... so maybe some reference photos of what look you're going for would help.

Also, don't worry about the difference between military and civilian when it comes to backpacks, boots, jackets etc. Military items are always finding their way into civilian use, and any WWII rucksack would work. Again, without knowing what look you're after, I'd suggest the WWII British Bergen rucksack if you can find one. Perhaps revisit BGT Civil War section with a view to re-purposing some of those frock coats and boots. There's lots there to choose from.

· Hobby Military Advisor
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ah okay, let me post some reference images then for what I am looking for, should have done that sooner. Here is a shot of the SS Venture Crew from the 2005 King Kong:

Here is some art from the "Hollow World Expedition" sourcebook

The Director:
Flickr

Female Rocketeer: Flickr

The Padre: Flickr

The Professor: Flickr

The rugged Adventurer: Flickr

The Doctor: Flickr

The Big Game Hunter: https://flic.kr/p/JKkW9N
The Reporter: https://flic.kr/p/He6r3B
The Fortune hunter: https://flic.kr/p/JKkWes
Well, here is something from Deviant art: https://costurero-real.deviantart.com/art/The-arqueologist-350960324

Well, I hope that these help. Also, how do I properly display images from flikr on here? Since I cant use photobucket anymore, I use Flikr as my main image hosting platform.

Also, made a mistake, the King Kong movie from Peter Jackson was from 2005, not 2008

· volunteercontentprovider
2,832 Posts
Okay, that's a lot of reference!! LOL!! I guess I should be careful what I ask for. :)

I think a good starting point would be Afrika Korps uniforms, pith helmets and boots (for the laced up look of your "Rugged Adventurer". The Doctor would do well with WWII US Marines leggings over a tropical uniform. As for the high black leather boots, German WWII is perfect, and I think easy to find. Tan or khaki pants with white shirt for the Rugged Adventurer, Reporter and Fortune Hunter. You may be able to find loose Indiana Jones fedoras on Ebay. The bowler hat will be harder to find but they're out there. A whole line of umbrella's was made by Wild Toys, also one came with the Henry Jones figure. A lot of companies are now producing civilian suits, perfect for your Padre and Professor. You can pick up belts, pouches and revolvers/holsters from the usual parters like Monkey Depot, War Toys, Toy Anxiety etc. There you can really mix and match, as you like.

I can't see your female rocketeer. But there was a full-on Rocketeer figure done some time ago, as well as Buck Rogers (very useful retro ray gun), and on that topic, I think there are 3-D printed ray guns available from Shapeways.

I hope this helps. Looks like a really fun project!

· Hobby Military Advisor
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I fixed the link to The Female rocketeer, I tired to use the IMG tag but it dodnt work. I am not sure if I do all the archetypes of The Hollow Earth Expedition, but I do think I will do a couple of figures. I do already have the Sideshow Indiana Jones so that is a start (I know that Hot Toys did a much better looking version of the Raiders Indy, but I could never afford that).

I totally forgot shapeways, have not checked that place in ages, thanks for reminding me.

Edit: Say, how where Thompson Drum mags carried? Where there special pouches for that? Just something I have been wondering. I also cant believe it took them till 1942 before developing 30 round magazines for the Thompson

· Sir Lurksalot
674 Posts
The US Army had a drum mag carrier bag but I'm not sure when they were introduced. Probably in the late 30's or early 40's and I doubt in great numbers since the 50 round drum was not popular with the troops that had them.

Iknow Dragon made a cloth one at some point and I would not be surprised if BGT makes one.

· Hobby Military Advisor
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm okay. I guess I have to improvise the pouches then or go with 20 round mags. Also, just wondering, but I recall someone posting photos of what looked like Mini cuthulu statutes that he bought from the web, they where part of a board game, any idea who made those and if there is any other stuff similar like that that could be used as artifacts and relics?

I am also wondering if there is any particular line of Prehistoric creatures and monsters that people use for dioramas? I read here that the Kong: Skull Island line of toys would work because of the giant spiders and the Kong figure is large enough to work as a big gorilla.

· Hobby Military Advisor
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, found out that the Cthulhu idol figurines where done by Fantasy Flight games for the Card game that is no longer made, oh well, guess I have to find it elsewhere. Wonder if I should rename this thread and make it a geneal thread about this project.

· Hobby Military Advisor
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to bump this thread again, but I thought it is easier to do this then create a new thread. Has any company ever made a P14/17/M1917 rifle?

· Registered
963 Posts
This is a really cool project idea; I like the theme and the movies you've mentioned.

Some answers for sourcing questions:

The early M-1918 BAR was made by GI Joe (I think?) as well as a wood/metal version from ACI - loose and with a figure.

ACI's early BAR:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/421321-[-aci-toys-]-1-6-early-m1918-bar-gun-browning-automatic-rifle-made-metal-wood.html

ACI's Gangster Johnny figure with the early BAR:

ACI 1/6 Gangster Johnny with BAR Gun

I've always liked the rucksack that came with DML's SOLDAT 4A - Arnold Schöne:

www.actionfiguren-shop.com | Arnold Schöne - Soldat 04 | Online 1:6 Figuren und Zubehör kaufen

or:

Monkey Depot - Boxed Figure: Dragon SOLDAT Panzergrenadier Arnold Schone (70371A)

I think it would transition to civilian life much better.

Talon65 is spot on, DML did the Thompson 50 round drum mag pouch with their Bobby Dalton figure:

70383 - "Bobby Dalton", U.S. Army Infantry NCO, U.S. Third Army, Lorrine Campaign, September 1944 - Dragon Action Figures

And finally, The P-17 Enfield was made by Legacy of Valor in their Sergeant York carded figure:

Coming Soon: Sgt York by Legacy of Valor

Also, fellow board member Tony Barton makes the P-14/P-17 Enfields if you are interesting in doing it yourself:

http://www.antheads.co.uk/catguide/firearms

(Scroll down to the bottom)

Hope this helps!

Keep us posted with progress on this project!

Fred

· Hobby Military Advisor
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Huh, Puppeteer did post a reply but its not showing up, but I still got the links, so thank you anyhow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.