One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are my pictures of the 1914 Christmas Truce during WWI.

The figures are the stock SST Highlander Black Watch and German 23rd Infantry Reserve Infantry Division. The figures have been weathered with acrylics. The Scots Glengarry and scarf are custom. His jerkin kit-bashed SOTW. The German Sheppard is SOTW. The base is custom and made from celluclay, plastic water, and plastic snow.

After 2 months of maneuver on the Western Front, combat bogged down into trench warfare. Prewar stocks of ammunition were used up and both sides entrenched until the spring offenses could be planned. The front line became a miserable place for the youth of both sides. Snipers, lice, mud, trench raids, gas attacks, machine guns, rats, poor food, and the cold made the trenches a place of misery.

As the first Christmas approached, German troops decorated their trenches with lighted Christmas trees. Initially the Brits were confused as Christmas trees with lights were uncommon in England in 1914. They opened fire on the German trenches, but eventually everything quieted down. Soon German Christmas carols could be heard. The British would then sing one of theirs. Back and forth the caroling went until both sides were singly "Silent Night, Holy Night". In the morning, a lone German appeared above his parapet and shouted across to the Brits offering a temporary truce. After some misgivings, a lone British officer met his counterpart in No-Mans-Land. Both officers agreed that teams could be sent onto No-Mans-Land to recover the dead and that trenches could be repaired without fear of snipers. Soon however, both sides were flooding into the open, exchanging handshakes and sometimes food, British beard for German beer. Men on both sides remarked in their journals how surprised they were that the other side weren't the beasts they were made out to be, but just normal lads.

The diorama is based on accounts of Highland troops being the some of the first Allied first to encounter the Germans that Christmas day in 1914. Reports spoke of a light snowfall that partially melted turning the already soggy No-Man's-Land into a quagmire of mud.

The German High Command didn't make much ado about the truce, but their counterparts in the Allied Command made sure that there was no more "peace" at Christmas. In the ensuing years the Allied High Command ordered massive artillery barrages at Christmas to make sure there was no more chance of peace breaking out.

Below are some excellent accounts of the Christmas truce. Fascinating accounts of a little remembered event.

http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/xmas.htm

http://www.kinnethmont.co.uk/1914-1918_files/xmas-truce.htm

http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/christmastruce.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1998/10/98/world_war_i/197627.stm

On a personal note, I find this to be one of the most poignant stories of the Great War. One can almost hope that the common man would turn his back on the carnage of the trenches and embrace the message of the Prince of Peace. Given World War One was such a waste of a whole generation of Europe's youth, it's a tragic shame the truce couldn't have lasted. It was a flicker of hope, but it disappeared in the cold, harsh realities of Industrial warfare. It's my earnest hope this year that we'll learn from the brave troops in WWI, that you'll cross No-Man's-Land and make peace with your "combatants" this Christmas, but this time the peace doesn't end at dawn the day after.

·
Registered
685 Posts
"and that's when Angus kicked Jerry in the shins"

ah, i'm just kidding. very cool stuff. I've always been fascinated by the event.

·
Registered
422 Posts
First, I want to say that I love your work. Second, you have captured the spirit of what was truly a golden moment in a horrible conflict. If you haven't read it already may I suggest a book entitled "Silent Night" by Stanley Weintraub, Plume Books 2002. This book is not the be all, end all read on the subject, but it is a very good start.
Once again , great work and thanks for sharing!

·
OSW Trade Police (Retired)
11,749 Posts
Well done Crazy.

There are similar accounts of this type of impromtu truces thoughout the Civil War as well. Funny to think that perhaps a real break though could have been made without the interference of politicians and Generals.

Perhaps Shakepeare was right...Kill all Lawyers.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
perhaps one of the most interesting stories i've come across from wartime. i was planning a dio of it a year ago, but it never went further than collecting the clothing!

i love seeing 1/6 versions of these, and this is easily no exception. actually, i think think this is perfect, because it's relatively small, but the figures look great, and the winter detailing is excellent. the dog is a great touch as well.
i love it!

·
One-Hicks Scale
739 Posts
that was such a beautiful story to accompany such an excellent couple of figures. and your words at the end were so poignant and heartwarming.
also -- who is that dog?

·
Head in the clouds...
1,464 Posts
Another powerful dio from one of the 1/6th masters.

Well done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.