One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an 1850's volunteer fireman. Just a little history on him….
His helmet was made from a strong leather and has changed little since the 1800's. the shield was ornately painted to identify the rank and fire company of the wearer. As you can see from the photos it was tradition to paint the fire company date of the back brim of the helmet.

His red rib shirt was adopted by New York City's Protection Engine Co. # 5 in 1840 as part of their uniform. These new shirts brought on a storm of envy and admiration! Within 10 years, the red shirt became part of the standard uniform of an American Firefighter.

His speaking trumpet was used to call his fellow volunteers to help operate the hand pumped fire engine as it took 20 - 60 people to run the machine. As a foreman, it was his job to call and coordinate his coworkers. Soon the trumpet became a symbol of rank and authority.

The fire buckets were used by America's first firefighters. They had only a bucket and ladders to put out the huge blazes they volunteered to extinguish. Even after most cities and towns purchased fire engines, the hoses didn't have much suction and the hoses were often short so groups of men called bucket brigades were often used to provide the engine with an adequate supply of water. The decoration on the buckets were used for identification after the fire was put out.

·
Medic
2,882 Posts
Great job, Sky! I really liked these firefighter's by Gearbox, as well. Like LG said, you rarely hear a thing about them, unfortunately. They had a 1930's or 40s firefighter planned for release, but it must have fell by the waste side.

- Ian

·
Registered
578 Posts
I was thinking about firemens yesterday, when i seen a fire truck go by. I just thought about the days when they rode on the outside, now they are inside......how time changes. Great bash BTW

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I agree w/Armand, these Firefighters are real finds. That's some fearless bashing you've done and playing with fire, too. Got him looking real now, with that covering of soot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts