17th Airborne Rifleman - Operation Varsity

World at War (WWI, WWII, & Civil Wars) 
5K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Fred_IV 
#1 · (Edited)
Rifleman
17th Airborne Division
Operation Varsity
24 March 1945

Commencing at 0600 on 24 March 1945, Operation Varsity was the second largest airborne operation of the Second World War landing roughly 17,000 Anglo-American paratroopers and glider-borne infantry on the east banks of the Rhine in preparation for Operation Plunder, the Anglo-American-Canadian assault under Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery to cross the northern Rhine River and from there enter Northern Germany. Varsity was meant to help the surface river assault troops secure a foothold across the Rhine River in Western Germany by landing two airborne divisions on the eastern bank of the Rhine near the village of Hamminkeln and the town of Wesel.

(Some of the above copy was borrowed from the Wikipedia article on Operation Varsity: Operation Varsity - Wikipedia )

Varsity took into account everything the Allies had previously learned about airborne operations. The airborne and glider landings were generally successful and all conducted within a few hours of each other on the first day. Landing zones were rapidly secured, and first contact with the ground forces crossing the river was made within a few hours. German resistance was stiff, despite ample preparatory bombardment and complete Allied air superiority. Much resistance was encountered by 20 mm FLAK guns, and the Germans managed to counter-attack several times (all unsuccessful) with armor, throughout the day. Of note, Varsity also debuted the C-46 Commando transport aircraft and the M-20 75 mm recoilless rifle.

I had not previously thought much of Operation Varsity until December of 2017 when I became obsessed with finding Garrett White and Frank Laird MIB for loose parts. I missed several of both figures on eBay in January, though still managed to kitbash this rifleman from my spares. I hope to continue on with some other Operation Varsity subjects; the captain from the Osprey US Army Airborne 1940-90 color plate comes to mind; as does the Ron Volstad 1:35 scale box art featuring what would become Garrett White.

I ended up putting about five hours into this figure before and during my club's March meeting and am pretty happy about the results (though perhaps not the photos). I was really excited to make the aerial recognition scarf for this trooper as well - more on that below.

Here he's bagged an unhappy FLAK crewman as a POW:

The Breakdown:

Headsculpt: DML No. 705 - Eugen Kroh (He's got a bit of a smirk about him that lends well to the fact he's just bagged a prisoner.)
Body: Dragon Neo Male 1a - chest slimmed]
Hands: DML pistol grip right hand and DML relaxed left hand
Uniform: Soldier Story M-43s, from their 101st Airborne Bastogne figure - cargo pockets stuffed with paper towel bits to pad them out more
Wool Shirt: DML RTV
Insignia: CVI
Helmet: DML M-1C, pleather chin strap shortened and DML Mike Connolly helmet netting added with a Soldier Story 82nd Airborne Normandy cloth first aid tie-on pouch added to the netting
Aerial Recognition Scarf: Custom - see below for more info
Boots: NewLine Miniatures M-43 double-buckle
Cartridge Belt: DML RTV stuffed with en bloc clips with CVI lift-the-dots added
M-1936 Suspenders: DML RTV
Carlisle Bandage Pouch: DML RTV with stuffing removed, cardboard added to simulate the bandage tin, and a CVI lift-the-dot added
Canteen and Cover: DML RTV, chain and rivet added to the canteen cap, CVI lift-the-dots added to the cover
Bayonet and Scabbard: DML RTV
M-43 Folding E-Tool: DML RTV with CVI lift-the-dots added
M-1936 Musette Bag: DML RTV with a Soldier Story 82nd Airborne Normandy coiled rope added
M-1 Garand Bandoleers: DML RTV stuffed with en bloc clips
M-1 Garand: DML RTV first pattern non-breakable-downable -Battlegear Toys leather sling added and weathering done by Josh (JOSH51st)
Pineapple grenade: Soldier Story Henry Kano

My references on the aerial recognition scarf. The material is a neon yellow nylon from Joann Fabrics. I bought a small swath of the cloth for $2.00 or so and have more than enough material to make multiple scarves. My first attempt came out a little small, so I might tweak the dimensions when I have another go at it.

The print out is taken directly from Service of Supply's page on the aerial recognition scarf:

Recognition Scarf - SERVICE OF SUPPLY

Check out the reference photo they supply on their page; the two troopers wearing them make them look like scouting kerchiefs, almost. I really like the look!

And finally, my references for the project:

Books:

Osprey Battle Orders No. 25: US Airborne Divisions in the ETO 1944-45

Osprey Elite No. 31: US Army Airborne 1940-90

Osprey Warrior No. 26: US Paratrooper 1941-45

Online:

Service of Supply Personal Aerial Recognition Scarf:

Recognition Scarf - SERVICE OF SUPPLY

Operation Varsity Wikipedia Article:

Operation Varsity - Wikipedia

See less See more
#2 ·
A really great bash, I love that you included the recognition scarf, their a pretty neat piece of gear. Its also nice to see someone doing a 17th airborne trooper, their really one of the forgotten divisions of the war, especially compared to their brothers in the 82nd and 101st. Robert Capa's photos of them gearing up before Varsity are some of my favourite from the war.

#9 ·
Hey guys - thank you for the compliments! They are much appreciated!

I'm glad you enjoyed the figure!

_citizen_dane_ - I thought the aerial recognition scarf was too cool not to include in my 'bash! My friend Josh (JOSH51st) linked me to the Service of Supply site so I'd have an accurate reference for the scarf. I hope to make another version or two with the ties and the edging as well.

OSP - the 17th Airborne jumped without patches for Operation Varsity - otherwise I'd have given him a very nice 17th Airborne patch from the CVI US Airborne insignia set.

Glad you guys liked the figure! I hope to keep working on a few more Varsity figures to add to my collection in the coming months.

Fred

#15 ·
Much appreciated, guys!

Thanks for the compliments! I very much hope to work on more Operation Varsity 17th Airborne subjects in the future!

I'd really like to have a crack at the Ron Volstad 1:35th scale set box art (from where we get the great DML RTV release Garrett White):

And I'd like to have a crack at some other Varsity 17th AB 'bashes from reference photos I've collected as well.

Thanks again for the compliments, guys! They are much appreciated!

Fred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.