One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone.... i shd be visiting Hong Kong in a week's time. Can anyone help me by providing me with info on which shops to go in Hong Kong for 12"figures.. Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
There's quite a few shops to visit in Mongkok. On one end there's UML Toys flagship store(Dragon stuff) as well as Toy Hunters(Hot Toy's distributer). There's also a host of smaller part's shops with a few choice bits and bobs within(I picked up a stack of metal 7.62 and 5.56 shell casings perfect ofr dios). The small shops are located near where all the BB gun stores are.

On the other end from where the above shops are is Barrack Sgt and on the same basement level where his store is are also a ton of small shops with some pretty cool finds as well. There's a guy in the same building on the upper floors who does custom paintjobs on heads.

UML also has a nicely stocked shop located on HK side next to Sogo in Causeway Bay.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad news guys... looks like i wouldnt be going HK this mth... Heavy rain there i heard... and the tickets (Airfare n hotel) are rocket high now... hhaa
Shd be going in July...

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
... Heavy rain there i heard... Shd be going in July...
Too true. We've had record rain, thunderstorms for about 2 weeks straight and more to come. Hopefully July might be better. Keep an eye on the HK Govt Observatory site for a 7 day forecast before you come:
http://www.hko.gov.hk/contente.htm

Drop me a line before you get here - if I have time I can show you around the 1/6th shops.

·
Registered
303 Posts
ActionMan, I have read reviews on Hong Kong forums that the employees at Hot Toy's shop have atrocious attitude and are pretty rude. Have u encountered that?
Hmmmnnn, I've experienced the opposite when i was working in HK. Back in the early 90's I could understand. Shopkeepers were extremely arrogant to the point that they'll say to your face things like "Are you just asking or are you going to buy?" or "If you have to ask you cannot afford it." But when I started working in HK during 2002-2003 the economic crisis, SARS as well as a Government launched public awareness programme saw a huge change in the attitude of the service industry. I mean, walk into any shop today and they'll basically be greeting you in canto "Welcome, feel free to browse."

The first time I walked into Toy Hunters(Hot Toy's shop) they were so polite I was kinda freaked out(mind you this was my first week working in HK and I was expecting WWIII between me and the shopkeepers). In fact, one of the girls working in the store(I was always to shy to talk to her) was nice enough to give me a free gift on my 3rd or 4th visit(I think it was a desert SEAL combat helmet).

Nice folks all around in the 1/6th industry.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Thanks for the info PASKAL88. I think I read too many bad things from HK toys forum. :D

Reason I asked the friendliness of HK main shop is because I have a friend who may be visiting HK in Aug and I dun want him suffering that kinda treatment while doing me a favour.

Cheers
Tang

·
Registered
303 Posts
In terms of number of shops in a small space I would say yes. Including the 4 Universal Model (i.e. Cyber Hobby/DML shops) I would say there are at least 15 1/6th shops. Of course, some of those are only around 8 feet x 10 feet in area!
Yeah, those shops where Barrack Sgt is are crazy small but exploding with bits and bobs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.