One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
absolutely awesome figure man. i love the PRC in the pack and the BAR belt and the gloves. whered you get the BAR belt?
The M1937 BAR Belt I got from Toy Soldier Brigade (http://www.toysoldierbrigade.com/). Not sure if they still have them. The BAR Belt was used a lot to carry M16 Mags by Spec Ops and LRRP. Found a lot of pictures of soldiers using them with the M1956 "H" harness.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice looking figure. :thumb IMO, that hat gives this figure a modern Ranger feel. I would change it to boonie cap.
LOL, I know what you mean. I have a book on US Army uniforms of the Vietnam War. In it are several pictures of soldier wearing the cap and a couple with RTOs (were I got the ideal). The cap that was the mainstay of the Vietnam War period by the Cap, Field (Hot Weather) which is styled like a baseball cap and was worn with the jungle fatigues. I remember that cap when I first went in the service and hated it. So, I did not want to use that. The OG-107 Boonie hat did not come into theater until Aug 1967. By then the war was five years old.

But lets not for get that the cap my RTO is wearing is really Cap, Field, M1951, which was actually designed in 1943 for the M1943 Field Uniform. The M1951 has a longer visor and is made with OG-107 and was used more then you realize in Vietnam.

Also remember all LRRP unit were re-designated Ranger units by 1968 and pay a big part to the heritage of the US Army Rangers. My team was modeled after 1st BDE LRRP (1965 -1968) under MTOE 57-42F. That is why you have the sniper w/the M79.

"The M-1951 field cap was universally liked because it was comfortable and practical, and afforded a reasonable amount of protection from the elements. It was produced through the late 1950s and was worn extensively during the Korean War both in garrison and in the field when conditions did not require the protection of a helmet. The cap also was used to some extent in combat by units performing special operations and reconnaissance patrols, which led to the cap being unofficially designated a "patrol cap" by the U.S. Army Rangers."

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great figure and detailing!! Where did you get the cap?
Grizzer, the cap is 21C. Now when I first got that cap back in 1998 (Remember Small Blue Planet?), I was thinking it really s**k. I could not do a darn thing with it and it looked terrible on a figure. Then 21C came out with their BDU version. By this time I was doing more with my figures then just suiting them up and I wanted to make the BDU cap with the Ranger look which, took TAC-glue and Hair Spray (Extra Hold). That effort made me go back and re-look the M1951 Cap from 21C.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Looks more USSF than LRRP but still a great bash. Nice use of the 21 C parts.
Just one thing, the Nomex gloves were a rarity before 1969-70. Black leather 'Recon' gloves would be more appropriate.

And, BTW, it might be a type but the M1951 has a shorter peak (visor) than the M1943.
One of the major problems I have with figures are hands and the connecting joint. Most of those gloves and hands that are available look so oversized on a lot of figures. And of yet, I don't have a real solution. I don't want my figures to become statures with a fixed hand joint. I like being able to change their position as I please.

I was looking through a MOOK SpecFig book and noticed that they had kits in Japan/Asia that provide a variety of connecting joints that you configure for a variety of hand types. I wish we had that kit available here in the US.

Yes, I know that the recon gloves are more appropriate. I am working on making some I can used since finding a pair to day is almost impossible. I am still in the testing phase on this project trying to find a happy median between DML, BBi, DiD, HT, and ACE hands (to mention a few). NOMEX gloves were distributed 21 August 1967 to a variety of units not only aircrews. And yes I know that the use of NOMEX gloves in NAM is not like it is today. However, I did not want monster hands on the figure.

As far as USSF'ers, will you are right. However, from the pictures and information I have reviewed of NAM LRRP, they did look more like SpecOps then conventional soldiers. But then again then, LRRPs were considered Rangers and that is pretty SpecOps IMO.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts