One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching past threads for help deciding which Barbie car to get and attempt to modify. RC cars are out of my price range so that leaves the fashion doll vehicles to choose from. Thanks to whoever started the thread on using Google to search the forums here I was able to finally find those old threads. And I pretty much assumed that the car I chose would be very undersized. I got it today was very surprised that it is as big as it is. It's a 1994 expandable Mustang by Mattel. I did not see it listed in any previous threads, but I could have easily missed it. lol

As a two-seater:

And expanded to 4:

I was fully expecting George and Kate to be squeezed in shoulder to shoulder, but they actually have some room. George can sit in the car with his legs fully extended. The seats are a decent size, too.

Everything needs works. I originally wanted to try to mod this into a police car. Now I'm not sure. I do want to do some work on it no matter what I ultimately end up turning it into. Especially that windshield!

I wish this car was higher off the ground.

I thought I'd share just in case any one was interested. There are a few on ebay. I got this one for $13 plus shipping. Search for "barbie expandable Mustang", "barbie mustang", and "barbie car".

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would keep my eyes open for an RC car that is missing the RC unit,I found that those can usually be found a lot more reasonably the a working vehicle, and if you are like me and are just going to cut it up to modify it doesn't matter as much. This thing looks closer to 1/8th then 1/6. But it could be the basis for a good project.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
That's a novel idea, I didn't know they existed. As a victim of Mustang II back seat occupation, that vehicle has more room, even when collapsed. Looks quite sporty.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
I like it. You can do a ton with that.

Raising the suspension (such as it is) would probably not be too hard. Could you give us some shots of the undercarriage, please?

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts
cool...been thinking about getting a barbie Ferrari, or Corvette. good to know about the car riding so low.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have four daughters and they are all past the barbie stage, so when I need pieces I go out into storage and dig through their stock of Barbie vehicles,most of it is not too scale but sometimes you can use pieces.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would keep my eyes open for an RC car that is missing the RC unit,I found that those can usually be found a lot more reasonably the a working vehicle, and if you are like me and are just going to cut it up to modify it doesn't matter as much. This thing looks closer to 1/8th then 1/6. But it could be the basis for a good project.
That's pretty much what I picked it up for- a project. lol I've seen a few RC cars that are technically within budget that went out of budget because they were auctions.

You can still get a relatively cheap 1/6 RC BMW Mini Cooper
Thanks for the heads up, I'm just not a Mini Cooper fan. :)

That's a novel idea, I didn't know they existed. As a victim of Mustang II back seat occupation, that vehicle has more room, even when collapsed. Looks quite sporty.
That sounds painfully small!

I like it. You can do a ton with that.

Raising the suspension (such as it is) would probably not be too hard. Could you give us some shots of the undercarriage, please?
Here it is:

Any advice/ tips for doing that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
It looks really good being driven. The thing that really sells it compared to most Barbie cars is that the extended back seats don't look impossible to fit a person. Though they look better I don't know if they'll actually fit a figure, will they? They're not high enough for a full bent knee, and they don't have the option of sliding feet under the front seat. Maybe you can twist the legs somehow then cover them with a blanket so they don't look unnatural -- or do what I used to do, when two Medicoms broke at the waist I set them aside for car seat use.

For figures standing next to the car, it's probably always going to look too short. I don't see how you could raise the suspension more than slightly (and look forward to seeing what Dadrab had in mind). For taking photographs, you can raise the car up even a couple of inches, and just cut the picture off around wheel center, and it'll probably look all right.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks really good being driven. The thing that really sells it compared to most Barbie cars is that the extended back seats don't look impossible to fit a person. Though they look better I don't know if they'll actually fit a figure, will they? They're not high enough for a full bent knee, and they don't have the option of sliding feet under the front seat. Maybe you can twist the legs somehow then cover them with a blanket so they don't look unnatural -- or do what I used to do, when two Medicoms broke at the waist I set them aside for car seat use.

For figures standing next to the car, it's probably always going to look too short. I don't see how you could raise the suspension more than slightly (and look forward to seeing what Dadrab had in mind). For taking photographs, you can raise the car up even a couple of inches, and just cut the picture off around wheel center, and it'll probably look all right.
It never occurred to me to put them in the back until you mentioned it. Why? I don't know. :lol Actually, they fit better than I expected.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Raising the suspension wouldn't be too hard,the whole bottom is just held on with 4 screws,I'm sure the axels are mounted to it with ears protruding from the base,you could cut those ears off and find some pieces of plastic angle to raise the axels,only problem is going to be the wheels will be too small,they should be 15-16 inch wheels,those will probably only be 12-13 inches so you will have too much space around them. Keep your eyes open at good will or other thrift shops,you might find one of the other barbie cars that you could steal the wheels off off. The 57 Chevy they made had much bigger tires so did the RV they had.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Raising the suspension wouldn't be too hard,the whole bottom is just held on with 4 screws,I'm sure the axels are mounted to it with ears protruding from the base,you could cut those ears off and find some pieces of plastic angle to raise the axels,only problem is going to be the wheels will be too small,they should be 15-16 inch wheels,those will probably only be 12-13 inches so you will have too much space around them. Keep your eyes open at good will or other thrift shops,you might find one of the other barbie cars that you could steal the wheels off off. The 57 Chevy they made had much bigger tires so did the RV they had.
Thanks for that! I'll keep a look out for bigger wheels. And thanks for the tips on raising the suspension!

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
It never occurred to me to put them in the back until you mentioned it. Why? I don't know. :lol Actually, they fit better than I expected.

Wow, that's impressive. As I said with most Barbie cars it's just so obvious to the eye that no figure could fit in the back seat. Even with this Mustang extended, I figured they wouldn't quite fit, but they do! So it's the 1/6 car of choice for this sort of thing: Villain Car Pool | Robot Chicken | Adult Swim - YouTube

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Yeah. I saw two-seated variant not four I think.
I'm having doubts myself. I would have seen it loose, in a thrift store environment, so it's quite possible that I simply didn't realize it was expandable. Keeping an eye out for one now though.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
George and Kate picked up a couple of hitchhikers.

Here's the Mustang with four figures in it.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
George and Kate picked up a couple of hitchhikers.

Here's the Mustang with four figures in it.

Looks good, totally credible as a 1/6 car with four people in it looking natural, not jammed nor forced. And now with these passengers we know why. Obviously it's bigger on the inside than the outside...

·
Registered
783 Posts
If you move the front seats back a little then fill in the sides with some putty it would look a lot better,the proportions are much better with the back slid out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts