One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Ive been a bit of a lurker on this forum for a while now, never had the courage to actually post anything as I feel like a bit of a newbie so here goes.

I'm really interested in making a medieval Templar type figure, I have my actual base body for the human build sorted, though adjusting the face is going to be both scary and painful im sure :s as is finding decent chainmail *sigh*. However the thing im really really struggling with finding is a decent sized horse. I know this subject has come up many many times and i apologize for bringing it about again.
I really like the look size wise of the DML? horse it looks big huge mcbeefcake which is what I'm wanting as id love to do a Percheron Charger ( i know medieval horses were nowhere near a big as we have them today :D ) and id love it to be this massive imposing destrier. But finding a DML horse is a nightmare :/. Is there anything else I could use as a base? which would allow me to achieve this height? The Marx thunderbolt, though fantastic as a light horse, is just too small for what I want. I have a Marx articulated Silver, but again he just isn't big enough. I'm not averse to sculpting and resetting limbs ect, i spend most my days drawing horses so hopefully my anatomy studies should come in handy, however i know it'l be a challenge.

Any ideas?

P.S I'm a bit rubbish with forums so if iv posted this in the wrong place i apologize!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello

Thanks for the fast reply :)
I have come across the powerteam horses but unfortunately actually finding one to purchase is a nightmare, much like DML :/

·
Amazon Warrior
510 Posts
Hello, if you want a closer look at the type of horse the Knights used. Google norman cob but the closest for todays breed is the welsh cob section D. They were the descendent of the chargers. Hope this helps :^_)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha Thanks alot Binx

Yeah the horses they used were pretty small its only during the last couple of centuries we have managed to breed the huuuuuuge beasts we have now which reach 20 odd hands sometimes D:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Weswood,

Yeah i've actually used your height comparison alot in planning out my ideal figure set up. Its incredibly useful as sometimes its hard to gauge how big each is.
Many thanks.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
They're expensive, but the best 1/6 scale horses are the ones made by Luis Aguilar. He goes under the name Nohuanda here on this forum and his email is [email protected]

You can see some examples of his work here and here (scroll down to his post with photos)

David

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah yes...iv have spent many a hour staring at nohuanda's work...stunning but a bit out of my price league D:

still...i can dream right haha.

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much do you think a DML horse is worth?
Oh goodness this is where my total lack of price knowledge is going to come in isnt it? haha

Im not too sure to be honest i've seen them advertised for...$100 plus then again iv also seen them for about $50
But living in the UK, buying something in also has custom charges ect so even if i find a relatively cheap one its going to get bumped up with postal, handling fees ect.

What id like to spend on one however or what I think they are worth? I dont know cheaper the better i guess :s

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They've only shown teaser pics so far but I am excited to see the Asmus Toys horse they are coming out with. It looks like it could be a Percheron Charger, especially since they are making it for the Lord of the Rings line.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Asmus-Toys/146632816967
Ohhh man that looks awesome! The musculature on that body shot looks fantastic. I think I'm seeing articulation there too?

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
303TOYS has horses coming out as well, and they seem decently sized. You'd get a lot of Asian warrior tack you'd have no use for, but you could probably sell that off, and surely ordering a horse currently made would work out cheaper than chasing some DML or such in the secondary market.

The Asmus shows potential but I suspect it's a long way off.

The fur-covered horses that DiD made for their Samurai a couple of years ago also tend to get mentioned whenever this horse discussion takes place. Personally that look doesn't work for me, but tastes differ and it may work for you.

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...-6-china-series-guan-yu-yunchang-p2-news.html
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...scussion/704212-upcoming-product-303-toy.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
303TOYS has horses coming out as well, and they seem decently sized. You'd get a lot of Asian warrior tack you'd have no use for, but you could probably sell that off, and surely ordering a horse currently made would work out cheaper than chasing some DML or such in the secondary market.

The Asmus shows potential but I suspect it's a long way off.

The fur-covered horses that DiD made for their Samurai a couple of years ago also tend to get mentioned whenever this horse discussion takes place. Personally that look doesn't work for me, but tastes differ and it may work for you.

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...-6-china-series-guan-yu-yunchang-p2-news.html
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...scussion/704212-upcoming-product-303-toy.html
And i totally agree on the DiD horses...they look...really ugly like someone skinned a giant rat and slapped it on a horse

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not sure how you would find a Powerteam horse but I did and with some TLC made it to look ok. Good luck with your "Quest" and good horse hunting.

The saddle was scratch built and the knight is a Dragon with some Ignite help.

Jeff (Geppetto)

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
That horse does look a tad small........:think
I suspect as was said above, it may be historically correct. But then, you come up against the direct question of whether you want historical size accuracy at the cost of everybody thinking it's too small based on present-day horses generally, and every knight they've ever seen in movies and television.

·
shoestring
3,718 Posts
I don't think any one has mentioned 'Action Man' horses. Made right there in UK so no big postage and custom charges. Made in numbers like the Marx horses so should be easy to find and affordable, not rare like the Power Team or Dragons. Bigger than the Marx, about the size of the Power Team, so it should be the right size you are looking for. Only drawback the musculature is not realistic, but with a Templar that will be covered by the horse cloaks so it doesn't matter. So I say take a look at Action Man horse. Should be able to find some on eBay Uk without too much trouble. Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts