One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Tash
2,177 Posts
I don't know anyone who knows more about this period than my good friend Tony Barton....and whenever he does an ECW figure he scratchbuilds everything....so I think that's the only way to go I'm afraid....

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
It's a bit premature to announce this , but I have a Matchlock / Firelock musket and bandolier bottles being moulded as I write: a limited edition only , but they will be available some time in the near future . The other kit would have to be scratchbuilt at present , though I am considering making more items . My present casting arrangements won't allow me to do swords , but simple hilts may be possible : you'll have to add your own blade .
It's possible that Ignite will produce their 17th century figures soon , which although they have accuracy problems . might at least provide some swords and hangers .
BUT just for now, it's either make it yourself, or wait patiently .

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
The problem with equipment for the ECW is that it's often somewhat inconvenient to make : the muskets are very long , the sword hilts often fiddly and too complex to cast in one piece , and the armour can only really be done in resin. And then there's the pikes : 32" long in 1/6th !
Add to that the lack at present of a decent horse or any of the equipment to go with it , and to be frank the problems are pretty overwhelming .

I am however making many of these things for my own figures , and am quite happy to sell a limited number of copies of the simpler items . Inevitably they will be a little pricey compared to items made in China .
Here's some pics :

The simpler swords here ( the hanger , the Tower sword , and the backsword) all have hilts that can be cast in one ; but as I said earlier , they would have to be fitted to your own blade , best filed as here from sheet steel .

The musket is being done in resin and pewter :

I've also just made a flintlock pistol : yet to be cast :

So there is some hope for the future , but I can't do it all , particularly the clothing , as a commercial offering .

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
A true dream would be a SOLDAT-type figure like Airfix's old 1/32 scale Roundhead/Cavalier kit, with buff coat, armour pieces, several types of headgear, and an array of weapons (wheel-lock pistols!). They could do the same with a foot soldiers, making the assortment of WW2 German uniforms look like thin fare in comparison.

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
If one of the majors would make the investment , we could have fantastic figures ,
( though they would get the pikes in the box or through the post would be a problem ! )
HOWEVER , since the period has no appeal in the US ( forgive me , but not much ) , none at all in Japan , and a limited appeal in Europe , It's not going to happen ..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tony after spending 13 years in the SK I would also like to see the period catered for.
I think that a lot of SK and ECWS would be interested. Also the Dutch put on a fantastic re-enactment at one of their star forts, or the Italians, 30 years war bunch. So the appeal would be there across the re-enactment lot or for the European collector. If you would like I can make some enquiries amongst my old Cornish regiment Slannings to see if there would be an interest. The only thing is finding someone who is willing to produce small runs. perhaps one of the members in the far east might have a connection on whom might be approachable. I would be happy to help in my own small way to see the period catered for.
Any way perhaps the thread might give you an indication on who's interested in the period
Ray

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Probaly too clever an idea to be done this way, but they could beat the pike issue by issuing pike heads and end caps. Leave the acquisition of scale pike shafts to we the willing. Among wargamers here in the US, the 30 Years War and English Civil War are quite popular. No doubt the unfamiliar conflict, forces, equipment and tactics are responsible for the interest.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Rawdon's Regt. of Foote in the SK

I know you guys are speaking English but what are you talking about ??????
http://www.thesealedknot.org.uk/

The guys I was with: Sir Marmaduke Rawdon's Regt. of Foote
Regimental Colour (Flag)
Colonel's - Black Field Regt'l Colour

BTW, I like the idea of simply casting up the pike head and butt with an appropriate shaft-end to fit into a small hole that could easily be drilled with a pin vise by hand into the ends of a 36" dowel (or shorter if you preferred). Then we punters could just go to a hobby store or DIY and get the 36" dowel to make up the pike shaft!

In fact, I've already done something like that by stripping an IGNITE Roman spearhead out of its plastic shaft and attaching it to a longer piece of wooden dowel...

If IGNITE simply cast up the pike head and butt too, they could easily whip up a Macedonian Pikeman to go with the Geeks... errrrrr, GREEKS, & Romans they have issued thus far!!! :thumb

:nerd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Heads and ends are best cast with the socket in place already. Easy enough to do. All my scratchbuilt similar items are socketed.

That's a beautiful couple pieces of hardware in the matchlock and the pistol, Tony Barton. I've toyed with the idea of making matchlocks, but in total agreement with you, am doubtful whether the period interest would warrant the effort. Your pistol butt is perfect to the period, as mine is later 1700s. The very best of luck in getting these oeuvres produced and out. They really deserve the attention.

PD, I am about this "><" close to building a wheellock lock for use in longarms and pistols. Don't even get me going on this. I've been fighting it for a couple years now.

There are so many variants of garment style for the period. It would provide for quite the choice if the era were to gain popularity.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well what a small world, Come In Nighthawk's what dates where you in Rawdons. I am an old geezer I joined back in 1982. Still go to the odd local mini and also the annual pilgrimage to Stratten. What did you play pike or musket?. I liked the bang bangs so opted for the musket block. Also did a stint at dragooning which was fun, a guy called Andy Walker a good friend of my wife and i used to help put the bunch together from the various regiments. sadly he died last year of cancer. Which made Stratten a more sombre occasion as his ashes were scattered on the battle field. You may have heard the song sung by Slannings Andy Walker is a horses ass he sucks a ******* and so on. and when he left some one always shouted out Andy Walker has left the building. Sorry I yabber to much.
Usmcrtop
The SK is The Sealed knot formed by Brigadier Peter Young in 1968, as a charitable origination to put on battle and skirmish spectacles to raise the interest in his favourite period and to educate the children. through battles and living history. ECWS english civil war society is a break away group who are more into the living history.

Come In Nighthawk have you tried any other re-enactments I tried ACW but could not get on with it you stood miles away from each other tapping you powder down the barrel instead of ramming the charge down and there was no hand to hand I had great fun learning to wield a sword so I could hit people. The pike push is something if you are a slight build like me you do come out with a few bruises and that's from your mates especially if they wear back and breast. Here are couple of photos give people a flavour of the SK

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
LG , don't fight the urge to make a wheellock : as with anything you want , DO IT !
I'm making one myself.
The BIG problem with providing a range of white metal and resin parts is that they can never really be instantly ready for use : everything has to be fettled , filed and fitted . I've spent two hours this morning making a set of sword hangers , with a set of castings which came out of a mould this week.
To make it all fit and function takes a lot of work , and that will apply to everything I can make.
I am perfectly happy to make castings , but people buying them would need to understand the labour involved once they get them : to supply a complete working swordbelt would be too expensive for most ; and besides , I like to spend my time originating things rather than doing repetitive copies.

·
Registered
329 Posts
RAC57, I was in Rawdon's MUSKET Block :) 1997-98. Only way to fly... :thumb I like things that go boom. Thought about trying to join the canon section, but never had the time for the extra training -- etc., etc.

Would have LOVED to reenact in THIS period...

Still would... But didn't have the coin for all the expensive kit, nor the time for all the special training (throwing the pointy things, etc.), and now I don't really have the time, coin, or the conditioning -- bad knees (which bothered me in the SK, but not as bad as nowadays, sadly).

:nerd

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I know you guys are speaking English but what are you talking about ??????
Two movies that you might try to find are Cromwell (1970), and The Last Valley (1971). The first is a big historical film on the English Civil War, tho more emphasis on the characters than battles, as I remember it. The second is a fictional story of the 30 Years War, set in Germany. I don't know if any others were done, but these two do show a bit about the fighting in those times.

Osprey has done some titles on the subjects, and Blandford published Philip Haythornthwaite's THE ENGLISH CIVIL WAR 1642-1651 An Illustrated Military History (ISBN 0 7137 1263 5 0), a brief but fine work, with good illustrations, pics, and color plates.
A book which may be harder yet to find, but well worth it, is Eduard Wagner's EUROPEAN WEAPONS & WARFARE 1618~1648 (1979 ISBN 0 7064 1072 6), published by Octopus/Mayflower. It's a big book, and was only $25 in '79, but is filled with all aspects of warfare of the period. The illustrations are about as good as it gets, and are profuse in number.

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
Haythonthwaite's book is still the best overall book ; but I would also recommend :
Arms and Armour of the ECW , David Blackmore , Royal Armouries. can be bought online I believe , just Google Royal Armouries publications.
Essential if you want detailed pics of the hardware.
Since you are all besotted with films , the best portrayal of the period is " Winstanley " an Art house film made back in the Seventies by Brownlow and Mollo . There are a couple of good but short battle sequences , but the atmosphere conjured is extraordinary : shot in sepia . Beware : Very slow , and occasionally downright boring !

·
Likes little people
1,617 Posts
Do all you guys pronounce schedule as "Shed-yule " ?? As Oscar Wilde once said, "...Two peoples separated by the bond of s common language "

1 - 20 of 22 Posts