One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All!!

It's been awhile since I've been here but I still cling onto some vestiges of 1:6 and been frankly blown away by the quality (and cost!) of some of the releases these days. However, I digress ...

I have recently learnt that my next posting will be to the Army-run military museum in my state. Having visited there in the past, it is not a large space but they try and cram as many full size mannequins and uniforms in as tastefully as they can.

In the interests of exploring whether space could be better employed by having a few 1:6 vignettes instead, I am looking for examples from other places where 1:6 figures or dioramas have been used to educate in a museum-like or semi-formal setting.

Thanks!

p.s. Is Pukingdog still around?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hi filupe. I'm glad you are looking at the use of 1/6 for museum displays. I've been inspired since I was a kid with the displays at the West Point Museum that show custom figures. back in the '70s at the old museum, they had figures for the Mexican-American War and the Indian Wars made from Marx figures that were customized. I have a lot of my figures on display at the Lincoln Train Museum in Gettysburg. Here are some pics from West Point. The mounted Buffalo Soldier is a sculpture, but is about 1/6.
Toy Standing Armour Art Machine

Horse Working animal Horse tack Bridle Horse supplies

Horse Working animal Horse tack Halter Saddle

These are from the Old Museum:

Horse Working animal Horse tack Bridle Horse supplies

Outerwear Window Art Headgear Sculpture

And these are some of mine at the Lincoln Train Museum:
Hat Wood Military uniform Military person Workwear

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
694 Posts
The guy who made this was looking for a museum to display it. Don't know whether he found one.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,121 Posts
Greetings All!!

I have recently learnt that my next posting will be to the Army-run military museum in my state. Having visited there in the past, it is not a large space but they try and cram as many full size mannequins and uniforms in as tastefully as they can.

In the interests of exploring whether space could be better employed by having a few 1:6 vignettes instead, I am looking for examples from other places where 1:6 figures or dioramas have been used to educate in a museum-like or semi-formal setting.

Thanks!
p.s. Is Pukingdog still around?
I haven't seen any museum displays, but it seems like it would be a good way to display uniforms and scenes without taking up a ton of space.

Sadly, P.D. has retired from OSW. He is still active in 1:6 though.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't seen any museum displays, but it seems like it would be a good way to display uniforms and scenes without taking up a ton of space.

Sadly, P.D. has retired from OSW. He is still active in 1:6 though.
Thanks for the news, cdn_rhino. I hope he still frequents these pages, he was always the rock here.

I'm thinking of a project called 'Allies and Enemies' pertaining to the Australian Defence Forces which will be represented in 1:6

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,121 Posts
Thanks for the news, cdn_rhino. I hope he still frequents these pages, he was always the rock here.

I'm thinking of a project called 'Allies and Enemies' pertaining to the Australian Defence Forces which will be represented in 1:6
I'll send a message to him that you say hi.

That sounds like an intersting kind of build(s). That should make for some interesting display pieces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts