One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, now that I've been making 1/6 records, I knew I needed a record player. I've been looking for one for a while now, and finally decided I'd take a crack at just making my own. I feel like the design is totally something I'd pick up myself if I saw it.

While the record player at the The Lighthouse, the radio station Saint Crow had found, worked perfectly well, he had long been scavenging the wastes, searching for one of his own. When he finally found one mostly intact, along with a couple of truly impressive floor speakers, he rearranged the old industrial space he has made into his home to accommodate the new additions. But getting them working was far beyond his technical know-how, so he brought in help.

Previous records thread here and introduction to the world of the Radio Kings here.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Amazing scenes and photos, as usual. Perhaps even more so! You've done some beautiful, detailed, and realistic work to this environment and all the little things within it. Was that a real brick wall? The redhead reminds me of the female mechanic in Serenity.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Beautiful, I like it. Everything else around it, I like too. Talked about that staircase before, it's the awesomest. I recognize the handles on the record player, they're so useful. I'm building up a stack of them by buying jewelry boxes at the thrift store and re-donating them back without the handles -- a Halloween coffin took six of them.

Records look great, record covers look great, but for some reason I'm most impressed by the inner sleeve. BTW as record players go, for a very cool more modern turntable at the cheap price of $13 check out your local bookstore for the RunningPress "Teeny Tiny Turntable." Probably slightly overscale but 1/6 usable. "World's Smallest" makes a cool one too, but that one is definitely too underscale.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Outstanding, sir.

The record player really looks the business.

Color me impressed.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Was awesome setup when you first posted it and it's an even more awesome setup now.

That guy has made quite a nice life for himself in the apocalypse! Better than many people do now in the real world!

·
Warning: Choking Hazard !
1,392 Posts
Dude...Your gorgeous 1/6 scale pad is distracting me from your fantastic custom player ! I imagine fine digs like that are one in a million in your world of the radio kings !

This needs a photo story !

·
Registered
232 Posts
Man! That's fascinating! This can only get more and more awesome.

It looks so delightful and cozy in there, and along with some great tunes, one would be able to forget the harshness of the wastelands.

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
This is the Bomb! (Shelter? ) Your whole dio is so tight, I can't wait for dystopia!
Characters, props, scenery,the story being told, are all fantastic!
A bunny with a gas mask? Rich!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very kewl setup, nice job!!
Thank you!

awesome rook
Thanks much Johnnye4!

Aw man that looks wicked! Love the turn table, it looks really great.
Thank you Pickle Munkey! Really happy with how it turned out.

Amazing scenes and photos, as usual. Perhaps even more so! You've done some beautiful, detailed, and realistic work to this environment and all the little things within it. Was that a real brick wall? The redhead reminds me of the female mechanic in Serenity.
Thank you so much GubernatorFan! I guess me and Joss Whedon both have a thing for adorable mechanics :wink. And the brick is all just carved and painted insulation foam. So glad it looks legit!

Beautiful, I like it. Everything else around it, I like too. Talked about that staircase before, it's the awesomest. I recognize the handles on the record player, they're so useful. I'm building up a stack of them by buying jewelry boxes at the thrift store and re-donating them back without the handles -- a Halloween coffin took six of them.

Records look great, record covers look great, but for some reason I'm most impressed by the inner sleeve. BTW as record players go, for a very cool more modern turntable at the cheap price of $13 check out your local bookstore for the RunningPress "Teeny Tiny Turntable." Probably slightly overscale but 1/6 usable. "World's Smallest" makes a cool one too, but that one is definitely too underscale.
What!? I didn't have to make the record player, and could have bought one!? Lol. Man, I really looked for a while before giving up and building my own. I may still grab one of those RunningPress ones. It looks so slick!

And those handles are great, right? I actually found packs of them at the craft store (Micheals or Hobby Lobby, I can't remember) and bought up a few. And funny enough, I almost didn't do the inners on the records, and decided last minute to take a crack at it. And I completely agree, somehow it's the thing that just sells the look of it. Thanks much for the comments!

Outstanding, sir.

The record player really looks the business.

Color me impressed.
Thanks so much man! Feeling pretty damn good about it.

Nice job. Do you post any youtube vids of your 1/6 scenes?
Thanks Dragonrider! And no, haven't ventured into youtube yet. I'm still mastering still pics, let alone trying to make things move. Although adding music for these would be pretty tight...

Was awesome setup when you first posted it and it's an even more awesome setup now.

That guy has made quite a nice life for himself in the apocalypse! Better than many people do now in the real world!
Thanks so much ZombieKev! Yeah, I love the idea of carving out this oasis in the wasteland. I keep thinking of that quote from Sin City, about how Marv just had the misfortune of being born in the wrong time, and how he'd be right at home on an ancient battle field or a gladiator arena. For Saint Crow, all it took was an apocalypse to make him a king.

impressive dio!
yeah that brick wall looks GOOD!!
:)
Thanks Teamweapon! Yeah, my hand was killing me by the time I finished carving all the bricks, but totally worth it. I want to do another color brick wall too, but just dreading all the cutting.

Very cool dio. Really digging the spiral staircase and loft area. Like the natural posing of your figures.
Thanks much man! I spend a lot of time trying to get the poses just right. Glad it comes through!

Dude...Your gorgeous 1/6 scale pad is distracting me from your fantastic custom player ! I imagine fine digs like that are one in a million in your world of the radio kings !

This needs a photo story !
Thank you!!! Yeah, I'd imagine you spend a lot of time looking for a place you can hide out, and an industrial area like that seems like the most likely to hold up after everything else falls apart.

You know, I've really thought about doing a photo story with the Radio Kings world. But I've been struggling to find good places to shoot post apocalyptic photos, and making sets for everything is so intimidating. So I've been settling for these small moments, that hopefully feel like they play out with a bit of their own narrative flow. Someday, I really do want to try to just write this story, and maybe do figure photos for key moments.

Man! That's fascinating! This can only get more and more awesome.

It looks so delightful and cozy in there, and along with some great tunes, one would be able to forget the harshness of the wastelands.
Thank you!! And that's totally the vibe I was going for, this little oasis from all the chaos. It's definitely how I'd want to ride things out. I think next up, I going to have to get back to the action and violence.

What an amazing scene and figures!
Thank you!!!

This is the Bomb! (Shelter? ) Your whole dio is so tight, I can't wait for dystopia!
Characters, props, scenery,the story being told, are all fantastic!
A bunny with a gas mask? Rich!
Oh!!!! Lol. Thanks so much Pontiacivan! Yeah, Marrow has spent a lot of time alone in the wastelands, with only the stuffed bunny to talk to. She's convinced he talks back. Although you can't see it in these, he's actually pretty strapped with grenades and a big survival knife too. She's worried he might be a little crazy, and that some day he may sacrifice himself to save her.

Very Cool and Great looking Ladies and diorama.
Thanks much Baddog!

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
Love it!!! I was looking at a 1:1 couch like that just the other day. :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Love it!!! I was looking at a 1:1 couch like that just the other day. :)
You've got good tastes Spitfire! Not much better than a weathered leather couch like that. My taste in 1/6 and 1/1 furniture run pretty close together too.

This set is fantastic! Where did the stove come from and the wood floor? I want to build something just like it for an art studio.
Thanks much Callous! The stove is an old cast iron Cresent salesman sample. There are tons up on ebay, and usually pretty well priced. The larger one is perfect for 1/6, but be careful, there is definitely a smaller version too, and it's often hard to tell from the listing which is which. The floor is wood beadboard/wainscotting/paneling. I have it a light sanding to remove any coating, but intentionally didn't try to be too thorough, since I wanted the stain to go on a bit uneven, so it would look a little older and more weathered. Glad you dig it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts